PhD in Instrument&Controls Engineering

In summary, the person is an instrument engineer with an oil&gas in-field experience and wants to pursue a PhD in order to improve their chances of finding a research or development position in the instrumentation and automation field. They feel that their experience and educational background will be more valuable than if they only had a BS degree.
Searcher83
Hello gents,

The thing is that I'm an Instrument Engineer with an oil&gas in-field(on site) experience and I used to maintain and fix different instrument equipment(transmitters,flowmeters,valves,etc) but I want to perform a smart R&D work in future, e.g. creating and development of modern meters for different applications with new sensor types and I guess I need an extra education for that like,say,Phd,because nobody will take me seriously as a researcher or developer looking at my current CV with an "in-field" experience only.It's not perspective in my native country to search a such R&D position that's why I'm looking for a PhD program worldwide,and graduation from that afterwards would make me attractive for R&D departments of companies.Or maybe you could advise me some different approach?

Does anyone have any information about grad schools providing PhD programs in Instrumentation&Controls Engineering,Automation or sth. with a relevant name which could be recommended?(not necessarily in the US but anywhere on the globe)

I was searching through the web but couldn't find anything proper(only web links to Indian universities' undergrad programs come up).Perhaps,someone knows sth. on that.

Or,perhaps,you got any information about how people normally get to research work in Instrumentation and Automation field,say,which degree is generally required for that,based on your acquaintances' or your own experience.

Any information is appreciated.

P.S. Or,perhaps,such PhD programs exist only as a part of Electrical&Electronics Engineering departments' programs but not the separate ones?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

Nobody can advise anything?:-(

That will fall under electrical engineering. A PhD isn't necessary for design work or to be taken seriously. You probably want to at least get a BS degree so that you have a solid understanding in the basics but after that your hands on experience will matter as much as further degree work.

If you are specifically interested in that field it wouldn't hurt to also take a few classes that aren't typical electrical engineering class (like fluid dynamics) but that are relevant to that field.

Floid,ok,thanks a lot for your comment.Yes,as I expected it looks like I&C programs are a part of Electrical Engineering programs in the US.

The thing is that I've already got a BS degree in Instrumentation&Controls Engineering several years ago,otherwise I wouldn't be able to work on engineering positions in my country for all these years,so there's no need to get a BS again.In fact,in my country I studied at the university for 5 years(so,it's sth. average between bachelor and master degree)and got an engineering degree.I'm thinking of pursuing PhD in order to get a real R&D job,'cause I've had enough of maintenance and fixing,now I want to create and develop a new equipment by myself.I think my hands-on experience will be useful for that but,anyway,I need more knowledge and research experience which I hope to extract from a proper PhD program.

Last edited:
with a BS engineering degree and some industrial experience to be hired in R&D department of American company?I guess,it's almost impossible.

I would say about 100% if you were presistent enough in applying for jobs. For example:

https://www.agilent.apply2jobs.com/...n=mExternal.showJob&RID=2042617&CurrentPage=1

or

https://www.agilent.apply2jobs.com/...n=mExternal.showJob&RID=2042069&CurrentPage=1

However, I would say if your general attitude is to ask a question and then disagree with someone who provides you with their opinion by stating information that is obviously false and could be disproved by a simple internet search then your specific chances are much closer to 0.

Floid,thanks for sharing your opinion and an adequate criticism.I've done right conclusions for myself:smile:

1. What is a PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering?

A PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering is a research-focused degree that prepares individuals to design, develop, and improve advanced instrumentation and control systems. This field combines principles from electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and computer science to create innovative solutions for measuring and controlling a wide range of processes and systems.

2. What are the job opportunities for someone with a PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering?

Graduates with a PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering have a variety of career paths available to them. They may work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, or manufacturing, designing and implementing advanced control systems. They may also pursue careers in research and development, academia, or government agencies, focusing on developing new technologies and solving complex engineering problems.

3. What skills are required for a PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering?

Individuals pursuing a PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. They should also have excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages and knowledge of control systems and instrumentation are essential for success in this field.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering?

The length of time to complete a PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering can vary depending on the individual's research topic, progress, and program requirements. Typically, it takes around 4-5 years to complete all coursework and research requirements. However, some programs may allow for an accelerated timeline for highly motivated and dedicated students.

5. What are the admission requirements for a PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering?

Admission requirements for a PhD in Instrument & Controls Engineering may vary depending on the university and program. However, most programs require applicants to hold a master's degree in a related field, have a strong academic background, and demonstrate potential for research through publications or previous research experience. Additionally, applicants may need to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose outlining their research interests and goals.