Looking up Atomic Transition Energies

In summary: Niles writes to a supervisor about his research looking into strontium and its transition levels. He mentions that he tried finding the data on the internet, but didn't find what he was looking for. He then refers the reader to an article from 2010 which doesn't have the data he needs. He then suggests looking into a thesis which he found which has a figure for the transition levels of Sr-88, Sr-87, and Sr-86. However, he doesn't know how to interpret the figure.
Niles
Hi

I am looking at strontium, and I wish to find the difference in energy between the 1S0-1P1 transition (~ 461nm) in Sr-88 and Sr-86. I don't need to calculate it, I need to look it up in a table. I thought that NIST would be helpful (http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html), but I didn't get anything useful from there. Most likely it is because I don't know how to use it properly.

When I type in Sr, I get all the ions (Sr I, Sr II, ...). How do I know which one Sr-88 and Sr-86 is?

Best wishes,
Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that site has the data you need. However, when you click on the
bibliography links they supply above the table, you are led to this article:

http://jpcrd.aip.org/resource/1/jpcrbu/v39/i3/p033103_s1 [Broken]

which is fairly recent (2010) but does not give a value for Sr86 1p1 --> 1s0, only 3p1 --> 1s0.

I'm afraid you are out of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Write him or his supervisor? Worst that can happes is the don't answer. Best is they offer you a job :-) (happened to me, no joke)

I tried writing him, let's see what happens. He must be very desperate if he offers me a job.

lol, it did not happen after the first e-mail... But good luck, anyways

BTW, my job offer was for doing a PhD, nothing more.

If one looks for 'atomic' (electron) transition data, then unless specified, one would like get results from a sample with all naturally occurring isotopes.

Sr-84(0.0056), Sr-86 (0.0986), Sr-87 (0.070) and Sr-88 (0.8258)

Perhaps this might lead to something
Molecular Spectroscopic Evidence of the Existence of Strontium Isotopes Sr88, Sr87 and Sr86
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1948PhRv...74...74A

Last edited:

1. What are atomic transition energies?

Atomic transition energies refer to the energy differences between different energy levels of an atom. These energy levels correspond to the different orbits or shells of electrons around the nucleus of an atom.

2. Why is it important to study atomic transition energies?

Studying atomic transition energies is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of atoms, which are the building blocks of matter. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.

3. How are atomic transition energies measured?

Atomic transition energies can be measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by atoms. This allows us to determine the specific energy levels and transitions of atoms.

4. What factors affect atomic transition energies?

The atomic transition energies of an atom can be affected by factors such as the atomic number, nuclear charge, and the arrangement and number of electrons in an atom's energy levels. External factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also affect these energies.

5. How can knowledge of atomic transition energies be applied?

Knowledge of atomic transition energies has many practical applications, such as in the development of new materials, understanding chemical reactions, and designing electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as astronomy and nuclear energy.