Electroscope Forces: Calculating Total Charge Applied

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a large electroscope with 78-cm-long wires and 24-g spheres at the ends. The question asks for the total charge applied to the electroscope, assuming the mass of the wires is ignored. The solution involves setting up a force diagram and equating the tangential component of the gravitational force to the tangential component of the Coulomb force. The final answer is 2Q, in the microcoulomb range.
thisisfudd
2. A large electroscope is made with "leaves" that are 78-cm-long wires with tiny 24-g spheres at the ends. When charged, nearly all the charge resides on the spheres. If the wires each make a 30 degree angle with the vertical, what total charge Q must have been applied to the electroscope? Ignore the mass of the wires.

OK, firstly, do I consider the spheres as really small point particles and ignore their mass? I want to, but I bet that's wrong. Second, do I have to set up some kind of force diagram, with tension and such? I think that is where I am stuck. Actually, I just find this problem to be extremely obnoxious. My sense is that the net force is equal to zero ... I have to admit, I have been kind of staring idly at this problem so if you have at least a hint, I would appreciate it. I understand generally how electroscopes work, but not with forces, etc. thrown in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider just one sphere. If there is no coloumb force, what is the force which brings it to it's original vertical position? The tangential component of the gravitational force. Equate this force to the tangential component of the coloumb force.

[tex]F_c \cos(30) = mgcos (60) [/tex] where

[tex]F_c = \frac{KQ^2}{r^2} [/tex]

OK, yeah, I think I did basically what you said.

I found mg cos (60) = .024 x 9.8 x cos (60) and then multiplied that by cos (30) to get F = .136 N.

Then, I multiplied that by r^2 and divided by k, took the square root and got Q = 3.03 x 10^-6. Does that make sense? I guess it could be that small, but really I have no idea.

and then multiplied that by cos (30)

devide by cos (30).

Also, Your problem asks you to find the charge applied to the electroscope. So the answer would be 2Q and yes the charge is going to be in micro coloumb range.

K, yes, that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

1. What is an electroscope?

An electroscope is a scientific instrument used to detect the presence and magnitude of electric charges.

2. How does an electroscope work?

An electroscope works by using a metal rod or needle to detect the presence of electric charges. When a charged object is brought close to the electroscope, the metal rod will either repel or attract the charges and move accordingly.

3. What is the purpose of calculating total charge applied in an electroscope?

Calculating total charge applied in an electroscope helps to determine the strength and magnitude of the electric field in the surrounding area. This information can be used to study and understand various electrical phenomena.

4. What is the formula for calculating total charge applied in an electroscope?

The formula for calculating total charge applied in an electroscope is Q= ke * d * (tanθ), where Q is the total charge applied, ke is the Coulomb's constant, d is the distance between the charges, and θ is the angle of deflection of the electroscope's metal rod.

5. How can the calculated total charge applied in an electroscope be used in practical applications?

The calculated total charge applied in an electroscope can be used in various practical applications, such as in the design and maintenance of electrical systems, testing the effectiveness of insulation materials, and studying the behavior of electric fields in different environments.