Is x1+x2=x3+x4 a linear equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a linear equation forming a linear system. The equation in question has a maximum power of 1 and does not contain any trig functions or products of unknowns. However, it is not the equation of a straight line and by itself is not enough to form a linear system due to the four variables mentioned.
hivesaeed4
Is it? Personally, I think it is since the max power on any unknown is 1, no trig function, no product of unknowns etc. Also could the above mentioned linear equation form a linear system ? I don't think so (cause we always need at least two separate linear equations to form a linear system) but I just want to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please note that 'a linear equation', 'the equation of a straight line' and 'a linear system' are three different things.

Your sample equation is a linear equation.

It is not the equation of a straight line.

It could even be part of a linear system, but by itself is not enough to form one since there are four variables mentioned.

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an equation that contains two variables, usually represented by x and y, and can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. Linear equations form a straight line when graphed and have a constant rate of change.

2. How can I tell if an equation is linear?

An equation is linear if it can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m and b are constants. This means that the variables x and y are not raised to any power and are only multiplied by constants. Additionally, when graphed, linear equations form a straight line.

3. What does it mean for an equation to be "linear"?

The term "linear" refers to the fact that the equation represents a straight line when graphed. This is due to the constant rate of change between the two variables in the equation.

4. Is x1+x2=x3+x4 a linear equation?

Yes, x1+x2=x3+x4 is a linear equation. It can be rewritten as x1-x3=x4-x2, which follows the form of y = mx + b, where m = -1 and b = 0. This means that when graphed, the equation will form a straight line with a slope of -1 and a y-intercept of 0.

5. What is the purpose of studying linear equations?

Linear equations are fundamental to many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They provide a way to model and analyze relationships between variables and make predictions based on data. Understanding linear equations also lays the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills.