Does there exist a transformation between a line and a closed loop ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a transformation between a line structure and a closed loop structure, specifically in terms of their vibrational modes. The question arises if the information about one structure's modes can be used to determine the other without further calculations. The conversation also delves into the difficulties of calculating the vibrational modes of an infinitely large circle and the possibility of a transformation existing between the two structures. The speaker suggests looking at the boundary conditions to determine if such a transformation is possible.
peter308
Dear All:
For a line structure(say a very long atomic chain) and a closed loop structure( connect the head and tail of this atomic chain). Does there exists a transformation between these two structures?
For example if we want to study the vibration mode of these two cases. If we already know all the modes of one case then are we able simultaneously know the information of the other modes without any further calculation?

Best Yen

Physics news on Phys.org
That's quite broad... a line of atoms, say 100 carbon atoms (centane?) would be a floppy chain able to wiggle about a lot. A loop of same would also be floppy. But hexane would be different from cyclohexane since the ring is under tension.

The vibrational modes at atomic levels work somewhat differently from classical harmonics.

On the large scale you may want to compare normal modes on a length of pipe with those on the same length pipe but in a circle - then it is just the boundary conditions that are different. (Though frequency will depend on wave speed as well - which depends on the tension in the pipe, which depends on how the pipe got to be a hoop - the wavelengths are not affected.) With everything else being equal - the change in boundary conditions is what determines the change in modes - and that is predictable.

You should be able to work that out for yourself.

Thanks For Mr.Simon's reply. In my case the line is a perfect straight line. I can derive a general form for the Irreducible representations of the vibration modes for any number of atomic chains ( with atom numbers N). I want to find out is there a way to transform the irreducible representations(vibration modes) for a straight line into the irreducible representations of a circle? So i don't need to calculate the irreducible representations of a circle. In fact the calculation of irreducible representations of a infinite large circle is a little troublesome. That is why i would like to know if any of this kind of transformation exists? With Best Regards
Yen

In my case the line is a perfect straight line.
So you are dealing with an idealization rather than actual chains of atoms?

In fact the calculation of irreducible representations of a infinite large circle is a little troublesome.
In what way is the circle infinite?
You were talking about a circle if N elements before.

That is why i would like to know if any of this kind of transformation exists?
I believe I've told you how to figure that out. Unless I've misunderstood the question.
It's a question of looking at the boundary conditions - some of the modes on the line are not going to be present on the circle. It is straight forward to work out which ones.

What do you mean by "transformation"? There exist a "function" between any two sets. There exist a bijective function between any two sets that have the same cardinality (as do a line segment and a circle). Since the line segment has two "boundary points" and a circle has none, there does NOT exist a continuous mapping one onto the other.

1. What is a transformation between a line and a closed loop?

A transformation between a line and a closed loop is a mathematical process that changes the shape, size, or position of a line to form a closed loop or vice versa. It involves manipulating the variables or coordinates of the line or loop using mathematical operations.

2. Is it possible to transform a line into a closed loop or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to transform a line into a closed loop or vice versa. This can be achieved through various mathematical transformations such as rotation, translation, scaling, or reflection.

3. What is the purpose of transforming a line into a closed loop or vice versa?

The purpose of transforming a line into a closed loop or vice versa is to create a more complex shape or to simplify a complex shape for easier analysis. This is useful in various fields such as geometry, computer graphics, and engineering.

4. Are there any limitations to the types of transformations that can be applied between a line and a closed loop?

There are no limitations to the types of transformations that can be applied between a line and a closed loop. As long as the mathematical operations are valid, any type of transformation can be used to convert between the two shapes.

5. Can a transformation between a line and a closed loop be reversed?

Yes, a transformation between a line and a closed loop can be reversed. This means that the original shape can be restored by applying the inverse of the transformation. For example, if a line is rotated to form a closed loop, the loop can be rotated back to form the original line.