How accurate is the GPS on an iPhone?

In summary: So, in summary, the iPhone's GPS is generally accurate, but its accuracy can be affected by cell service and movement. It may be less accurate when driving on a freeway. There are more expensive options for more accurate GPS, but for everyday use, the iPhone's GPS is usually reliable.
mesa
Gold Member
I need to know how accurate the GPS is on an iPhone. We had guests over this evening and one of their iPhones disappeared. Using the GPS tracker it shows up at a neighbor house two lots down :P

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's usually pretty close, if you are moving slowly only a few feet. If you were driving on the freeway it can be more off

Likes 1 person
Maylis said:
It's usually pretty close, if you are moving slowly only a few feet. If you were driving on the freeway it can be more off

That sucks :P

mesa said:
I need to know how accurate the GPS is on an iPhone. We had guests over this evening and one of their iPhones disappeared. Using the GPS tracker it shows up at a neighbor house two lots down :P
That information would seem to indicate that it's in the neighborhood. Where would the guest have left his/her iPhone? Was it left in a vehicle?

I've found the GPS to be pretty accurate, depending on the cell service. But I think the GPS is accurate, but not necessarily the mapping.

Did one use - http://www.apple.com/icloud/find-my-iphone.html

Likes 1 person
Astronuc said:
That information would seem to indicate that it's in the neighborhood. Where would the guest have left his/her iPhone? Was it left in a vehicle?

I've found the GPS to be pretty accurate, depending on the cell service. But I think the GPS is accurate, but not necessarily the mapping.

Did one use - http://www.apple.com/icloud/find-my-iphone.html

It was, at a neighbors house. Sunday evenings are a time for the parents with kids in tow to get together in the neighborhood. One of the kids, even though he has always been good, happened to make a dumb mistake and took the phone that night.

GPS is a wonderful thing but it sucks to have to tell a parent that the locator is showing the missing phone in his child's bedroom.

Unfortunately he ran off when confronted and after several frantic calls to other parents in the neighborhood (in case he was 'hiding out' in one of their places) we began our long night waiting as the police didn't locate him until he following evening.

He is now safely home, Hooray!
As usual, thanks everyone for the information and insights.

Most handheld GPSr devices - that you can afford - average less than a 3m error. So you have a radius of three meters or possibly as much as 6 meters off (3+3). Say 25 feet.

The iphone 1 had a very weak GPS chipset, iPhone 5 uses the new Qualcomm Gobi chipset. In places where there are multiple cellphone towers visible to the device, this new device is as accurate as the single purpose commodity GPSrs like Leica, Delorme, Garmin.

Differential GPS for surveying has sub-centimeter accuracy. These gizmos are circa two orders of magnitude more expensive than a Garmin handheld, and are a lot heftier. They also require a base station located at a precisely known point on the Earth's surface. Even more dollars, pounds, or yen.

Likes timthereaper
mesa said:
It was, at a neighbors house. Sunday evenings are a time for the parents with kids in tow to get together in the neighborhood. One of the kids, even though he has always been good, happened to make a dumb mistake and took the phone that night.

GPS is a wonderful thing but it sucks to have to tell a parent that the locator is showing the missing phone in his child's bedroom.

Unfortunately he ran off when confronted and after several frantic calls to other parents in the neighborhood (in case he was 'hiding out' in one of their places) we began our long night waiting as the police didn't locate him until he following evening.
Yikes, that's crazy! Glad it all got resolved, but that turned into a dangerous situation!

1. How accurate is the GPS on an iPhone?

The GPS on an iPhone is typically accurate within a range of 5-10 meters. However, this can vary depending on factors such as location, weather conditions, and interference from buildings or other objects.

2. Can the GPS on an iPhone be affected by buildings or other objects?

Yes, the GPS on an iPhone can be affected by buildings, trees, and other objects that may block or interfere with the signal. This can result in less accurate location tracking.

3. Does the accuracy of the GPS on an iPhone improve over time?

Yes, the accuracy of the GPS on an iPhone can improve over time as the device collects more data and adjusts to the user's location and usage patterns. It is recommended to regularly update the device's software to ensure optimal performance.

4. How does the GPS on an iPhone compare to other GPS devices?

The accuracy of the GPS on an iPhone is comparable to other standalone GPS devices. However, it may not be as accurate as specialized devices used for professional or military purposes.

5. Can the GPS on an iPhone work without an internet connection?

Yes, the GPS on an iPhone can work without an internet connection. However, it may take longer to establish the initial location and the accuracy may be affected if the device cannot connect to a network to download map data.