Finding the Integral of YdX: A Different Approach

In summary: Integration ofIn summary, the integral of YdX will be the average of an infinite set of values, as suggested by the mean value theorem.
Iraides Belandria
integration of

Dear people of this section.

Suppose you have two indepenfent functions x and y and we need to find the integral of the following expression y dx ,and y does not depends upon x, but y varies between 4 and 8 in the interval of integration. ¿ Do you think that the value of the integration is (( 4+8)/2 ) x ?

Science news on Phys.org
[tex]\int y dx= yx + h(y)[/tex]

does that make sense? as far as y varying from 4 to 8... umm... i guess you would just plug those at the end...

we need to find the integral of the following expression y dx ,and y does not depends upon x

This statement shows that the integral will evaluate to [itex] yx + C [/tex]

y varies between 4 and 8 in the interval of integration
If y varies as plotted against x, then y does depend on x. If it varies when plotted against a different variable, then this information has no meaning for the given problem.

In other words, you just use the fundamental theorem of calculus like you always would:

[tex]
\int_a^b f_x(x, y) \, dx = f(b, y) - f(a, y)
[/tex]

In order to be clear my qustion to you, I am going to explain better the origin of this thread. I am interested to find the work of a carnot machine that operates between a hot reservoir at 800k (constant temperature) an a series of cold reservoirs whose temperature varies from 400 t0 800K. From thermodynamics the work, W, will be

W = Integral (1-Tb/Ta) dQ
where Tb is the variable temperature of the cold reservoir, Ta is the constant temperature of the hot reservoir and Q is the heat input. Solving we get

W= Integral dQ - integral (Tb/Ta)dQ = Q- (1/Ta)integral Tb dQ

Since Tb and Q are independent, we obtain

W= Q-Tb Q

To get a number a need to introduce a value for Q and Tb. ¿ What value do I choose for Tb if it varies between 400 and 800?. Q is equal to 2000 calories. Because of this I said, well, Tb is the arithmetic mean of 400 and 800 K, or Tb= (400 + 800)/2. ? Is this reasonable, honest?

Ack, I just noticed the section. This isn't even a number theory question to begin with! (Should be calculus & analysis, if you wanted to put it in the math forum)

However, your problem appears to be your modelling of the scenario. Q and Tb cannot be functionally independent, since both depend on time. (Unless one of them is a constant) I'm going to punt this over to the physics section -- should be someone over there who knows exactly what you should be doing.

Dear Hurkyl, since I don´t have any answer, yet. Let me to present a different solution to the original question of the thread. In other words, let us find the integral of YdX using the basic definition of integration. As you suggest Y and X are not functionally independent, but we don´t know how they depend. We know that X varies between a and b. Then , we can define an infinite set of equals intervals delta X = (b-a)/n, where n is the number of intervals. n tends to infinite. then,

integral Y d X = Summatory (Y1 delta X+ Y2 deltaX + Y3 delta X+ ...Yn delta X)

Y1, Y2, Y3,....Yn, are the Y values in each interval delta X.

Since each delta X = (b-a)/n, we get

Integral Y dX = (b-a) Summmatory ( Y1+ Y2+ Y3+...Yn) /n
where n tends to infinite

But Summatory (Y1+ Y2+Y3+ ...+ Yn) / n is the arithmetic mean or the average of an infinite set of values , as I will prove now.
By the mean value theorem

Summatory ( Y1+Y2+Y3+...+Yn) = 1/ ( Yb -Ya) Integral YdY = (Yb +Ya) / 2

where Ya and Yb are the initial and final values of Y.
Therefore,

Integral YdX= (b-a)(Ya+Yb)/2
This final result coincides with the empirical value I initially suggested.

Now, since I am not an expert mathematician, I have doubts about the validity of this demonstration, and I appreciate very much your comments and suggestions. If this is correct I think I can apply it to the Carnot machine.
Thanks.

What is a Carnot machine?

A Carnot machine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible cycle that involves the transfer of heat between two reservoirs at different temperatures.

How does a Carnot machine work?

A Carnot machine works by taking in heat energy from a high-temperature reservoir, converting some of it into work, and then releasing the remaining heat energy into a low-temperature reservoir. This process is reversible, meaning the machine can also run in reverse to act as a refrigerator or heat pump.

What is the efficiency of a Carnot machine?

The efficiency of a Carnot machine is given by the Carnot efficiency formula, which is the ratio of the difference in temperature between the two reservoirs to the temperature of the high-temperature reservoir. This means that the efficiency of a Carnot machine is always less than 100%, and it increases as the temperature difference increases.

What are the limitations of a Carnot machine?

The main limitation of a Carnot machine is that it is an idealized theoretical concept and cannot be achieved in practice. This is because it assumes that the cycle is reversible and that there are no losses due to friction or other factors. In reality, all machines have some degree of inefficiency.

What is the significance of the Carnot cycle in thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is significant in thermodynamics because it represents the most efficient cycle that can be achieved between two reservoirs at different temperatures. It also serves as a benchmark for comparing the performance of real-world heat engines and refrigerators.