Determine Max Speed for a Pickup Truck

In summary, the conversation is about a physics question regarding the maximum speed a truck can take a curve without the crate of eggs sliding out. The solution involves finding the maximum acceleration that friction can provide and setting it equal to the centripetal acceleration in order to solve for the velocity. The answer is 15 m/s. The conversation also includes a reminder to follow the policies of the site and not to post solutions.
PhysicsDud
I'm having a real problem trying to work out this question:

A crate of eggs is located in the middle of the flatbed of a pickup truck. The truck is negotiating a curve in the road that may be considered as an arc of a circle of radius 35 m. if the coefficient of static friction between the flatbed and the crate is 0.66, with what maximum speed the truck can negotiate the curve if the crate is not to slide out during cornering?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
PhysicsDud :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, just letting you know that if this is homework, there is a special section in this forum for this: https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll help you start off. Since the truck is making a uniform circular potion, the centripetal acceleration is v²/r, meaning the road exerts a force mv²/r on the truck. This triggers the static friction force between the flatbed and the crate.

a(c) = v^2/r = v^2/35

You want to find the maximum 'acceleration' your friction can give you, and set it equal to that centripetal acceleration to find the corresponding velocity.

Mu=Friction Force/Normal Force
Mu*Fn=Ff
Mu*m*g=m*a(friction)
.66*g=a(friction)

Now back to original.

v^2/35=.66*g
v=15 m/s

HiPPiE said:
a(c) = v^2/r = v^2/35

You want to find the maximum 'acceleration' your friction can give you, and set it equal to that centripetal acceleration to find the corresponding velocity.

Mu=Friction Force/Normal Force
Mu*Fn=Ff
Mu*m*g=m*a(friction)
.66*g=a(friction)

Now back to original.

v^2/35=.66*g
v=15 m/s

Read the policies of the site, do not post solutions.

Regards,

Nenad

What is the maximum speed of a pickup truck?

The maximum speed of a pickup truck can vary depending on the make and model. However, most modern pickup trucks have a top speed of around 100 miles per hour.

What factors determine the maximum speed of a pickup truck?

The maximum speed of a pickup truck is determined by a combination of factors such as engine power, aerodynamics, weight, and tire grip. Other factors that can affect the maximum speed include road conditions and weather.

Can a pickup truck go faster than its maximum speed?

No, a pickup truck cannot go faster than its maximum speed as it is limited by its design and capabilities. Attempting to go faster than the maximum speed can be dangerous and put the driver and others on the road at risk.

How can I increase the maximum speed of my pickup truck?

The maximum speed of a pickup truck is determined by its design and capabilities. It is not recommended to try and increase the maximum speed as it can be dangerous and may damage the vehicle. However, regular maintenance and upgrades to the engine and other components can help improve the overall performance of the pickup truck.

What should I do if my pickup truck is not reaching its maximum speed?

If your pickup truck is not reaching its maximum speed, it could be a sign of a mechanical issue or a problem with one of the components. It is recommended to take your truck to a mechanic for a diagnosis and repairs if needed.