Calculating Deflection of Clamped Rods

• Thread starter alexbib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Deflection
In summary, the formula to calculate the deflection of a symmetrical beam due to an applied force is as follows: v(L)=-\int_{0}^{L}\int_{0}^{L}{\frac{M_y}{EI_{xx}}}\cdot{dz}\cdot{dz}
alexbib
Here's a lil question:

If you have a rod of which an end is clamped to a table and you apply a force somewhere on the rod, what will the deflection be (in terms of difference in the height of the other end of the rod? For sure it will be proportional to the force and to some power of the length at which it is applied. What would be the complete formula, solved for deflection?

Physics news on Phys.org
For symmetrical beams with [tex]I_{xy} = 0[/tex], the curvature, [tex]v^{''}[/tex] is given by:

[tex]v^{''} = -{\frac{M_y}{EI_{xx}}}[/tex]

The deflection is thus:
[tex]v(L) = -\int_{0}^{L}\int_{0}^{L}{\frac{M_y}{EI_{xx}}}\cdot{dz}\cdot{dz}[/tex]

where L is the length of the rod, z is the axial length along the rod, F is the applied force, [tex]I_{xx}[/tex] is the moment of inertia about the horizontal axis, E is the elastic modulus of the material and [tex]M_y[/tex] for a point load at the end is [tex]M_y = {F}\cdot{(L - z)}[/tex].

Last edited:
Thx a lot for answering. [tex]I_{yy}[/tex] is the moment of inertia along the horizontal axis you say? Then what is the [tex]I_{xx}[/tex]found in the formula? The moment of inertia along another axis?

What do you mean by "For symmetrical beams with[tex]I_{xy} = 0[/tex]"?

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand what z is...
Sorry for being a newb lol.

Finally how is the curvature expressed. Is it a scalar quantity? What is its unit?

Thanks a lot,

Alex

Oops, I made a typo. [tex]I_{yy}[/tex] should be [tex]I_{xx}[/tex]. Sorry for the confusion caused (has now been edited). If you wanted to calculate [tex]u^{''}[/tex] which is the horizontal deflection due to an asymmetric section and/or horizontal load, then [tex]I_{yy}[/tex] is the moment of inertia about the vertical Y-axis.

Non-symmetrical section beams (e.g. L-section, as opposed to I or T-section) will have non-zero [tex]I_{xy}[/tex].

z is a variable, L is the total length (fixed). So z varies from 0 to L.

For the moment, don't worry about curvature. Use the integral equation to get the deflections you want. But since you asked, curvature has units m-1. It is a scalar quantity.

Ok, thanks. So [tex]M_y[/tex] would be the torque, attaining it's maximum value when z=0, when the force is applied derectly at the free end?

Actually, M was an abbreviation for "moment". But torque will do :smile:

Yup, the moment is maximum at the root of the rod where it is supported and goes to zero the closer you get to where you apply the load - the moment arm gets shorter as you go closer to the applied force.

BTW, you solve the integration constants based on the initial conditions. E.g. the slope at a rigid, unhinged support @ z=0 is 0, initial tip deflection @ z=L is 0, etc.

Alright, thanks for the help!

What factors affect the deflection of a clamped rod?

The deflection of a clamped rod is affected by the material properties of the rod, the length and diameter of the rod, the applied load, and the boundary conditions of the clamped ends.

How do you calculate the deflection of a clamped rod?

The deflection of a clamped rod can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation, which takes into account the material properties, applied load, and boundary conditions. This equation can be solved using various methods such as analytical, numerical, or experimental techniques.

What is the significance of calculating deflection in engineering?

Calculating deflection is crucial in engineering as it helps determine the structural integrity of a component or structure. It allows engineers to ensure that the deflection is within acceptable limits to prevent failure or damage to the structure.

Can deflection be reduced in a clamped rod?

Yes, deflection in a clamped rod can be reduced by changing the material properties, increasing the diameter or length of the rod, or adjusting the applied load. Additionally, using more rigid boundary conditions or adding supports along the length of the rod can also decrease deflection.

What are some common applications of calculating deflection in clamped rods?

Calculating deflection in clamped rods is essential in many engineering applications, such as designing bridges, beams, and columns. It is also used in the design of mechanical components, such as shafts, springs, and cantilevers, to ensure they can withstand the applied loads without excessive deflection.