PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility (6/21-6/27)

In summary, the Peace and Tranquility photo contest is open to digital photos that evoke a feeling of peace and tranquility. You are allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture, but other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. The contest ends at the end of the week, and the winner is determined by a poll.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Peace And Tranquility

This week's picture must invoke the feeling of peace and tranquility to the viewers.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, this should fit with the theme (and maybe if nobody else posts anything, I'll finally win one of these :rofl:).

This is of the lawn by the tide pools outside the hotel I stayed at in Kona, HI (this was actually a photo from my lanai). It was low tide at the time, so very quiet and tranquil (my favorite time to go wandering around the tide pools to see what critters I could find, and there were plenty), and as a bonus, there were hammocks strung between palm trees overlooking the tide pools (this is why they had to drag me kicking and screaming onto the flight back home). The sea turtles thought it was tranquil too, because they'd visit every afternoon to bask in the sun on the lava rocks in these tide pools. I saw as many as a dozen all hanging out together one day (unfortunately, no camera with me when I saw them).

tranquil.jpg

Last edited:
quiet afternoon by the pacific ocean

attachment.php?attachmentid=14469&stc=1&d=1214173046.jpg

Attachments

• afternoon.jpg
    afternoon.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 840
Moxie Falls - one of my favorite places in Maine, shared this day with a good PF friend and his family.
moxiefalls.jpg

edward said:
Ranibow Lake, Arizona White Mountains

edward: we have SIZE issues.

Zz.

Early morning on a quiet mountain road.

2590499568_9043768b2b.jpg

ZapperZ said:
edward: we have SIZE issues.

Zz.

Ahh nutz Image Shack strikes again delete it ZapperZ

Last edited:
Not a lot of peace and tranquility so far...

:)

Zz.

Philadelphia, PA, people. Not the suburbs of Philly, but Philadelphia proper.

[picture does not qualify due to size - Zz]

Attachments

• 2008-06-13 073.jpg
    2008-06-13 073.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 413
Last edited by a moderator:
mbrmbrg said:
Philadelphia, PA, people. Not the suburbs of Philly, but Philadelphia proper.

You have to upload it as a link from a site like ImageShack or Photobucket to get entered in the contest.

Moonbear said:
You have to upload it as a link from a site like ImageShack or Photobucket to get entered in the contest.

Got it; thanks!

Also, mbrmbrg, you must resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels.

Goddam lark, you ever quit? Methinks the defunct winners (by you) should camera jack you. Including webcams, cell phone cameras, and any other type of digital or analog light capturing device.

Getting pwned by the resolution reqs. :wink:

Oh that poor kitty is stuck to a brick wall head down :eek: ! Not tranquil...poor kitty!

I don't find all that splashing, sparkling water, that tranquil.

Anyway, have a peaceful, silent rosarium:

peace-roses.JPG

For those experiencing difficulty with image sizes, it doesn't appear that resizing images on the image hosting sites works very well (yes folks, I can see your deleted posts, and at least those of you trying this have a good sense of humor about it :rofl:). Try resizing the photo on your own computer before uploading it. If you don't know how to use the software you have to do that, perhaps you could tell us what software you're using and someone more familiar with it could help out or someone might know of some free resource for doing something as simple as resizing an image.

Literally...

zaduszki.jpg

This is just a reminder that you have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

Moonbear said:
For those experiencing difficulty with image sizes, it doesn't appear that resizing images on the image hosting sites works very well (yes folks, I can see your deleted posts, and at least those of you trying this have a good sense of humor about it :rofl:). Try resizing the photo on your own computer before uploading it. If you don't know how to use the software you have to do that, perhaps you could tell us what software you're using and someone more familiar with it could help out or someone might know of some free resource for doing something as simple as resizing an image.

Image Shack has the following options before uploading

resize image? 100x75 (avatar) 150x112 (thumbnail) 320x240 (for websites and email) 640x480 (for message boards) 800x600 (15-inch monitor) 1024x768 (17-inch monitor) 1280x1024 (19-inch monitor) 1600x1200 (21-inch monitor) optimize without resizing

Clicking on the one in bold: 640x480 (for message boards), will not necessarily give the correct size.

Currently there is a re size option on image shack that can only be used immediately after uploading.

At that point the thumbnail of the image will show the actual size. Don't click the RESIZE IMAGE near the thumbnail, it is only an offer for a free download.

There is a second RESIZE option located lower and to the right of the image. It will work , at least for now. The problem with the free download resize programs is that a lot of ads and popups come with them. (nothing is free)

Its not a perfect world:wink::smile:

lisab said:
Oh that poor kitty is stuck to a brick wall head down :eek: ! Not tranquil...poor kitty!

Hey...the post that this comment was referring to has been removed...I can imagine all the PFers reading this and thinking, huh?

...nevermind...!

Meanwhile, another resizing trick in windows without any advanced software is with paint.

Right click the picture file select: open with --> paint

Then in the drop down menu: "Image" select "stretch/skew" <ctrl W>

fill in the stretch boxes horizontal and vertical the percentage to shrink the image to and click OK.

lisab said:
...I can imagine all the PFers reading this and thinking, huh?

Don't worry, it's understood :smile:

Last edited:
I find that the pictures so far are either very reddish/orangish or very bluish/green (in terms of general color)

Speaking of resizing tricks - this one beats all :rofl:

Right click on the picture, select Send to->mail address, select yes to resize. Mail program opens with message with the resized picture attached. Drag this picture to desktop, close window with mail (not sending). Details may be off, as I am referring to Polish Windows.

A friend of mine told me she does it always this way, she was very proud of herself, as she wasn't aware there are other ways.

BryanP said:
I find that the pictures so far are either very reddish/orangish or very bluish/green (in terms of general color)

Blues and greens are much more soothing/tranquil than reds and oranges. :approve: :biggrin:

Sorry, even blue and green candles look reddish :wink:

Andre said:
Meanwhile, another resizing trick in windows without any advanced software is with paint.

Right click the picture file select: open with --> paint

Then in the drop down menu: "Image" select "stretch/skew" <ctrl W>

fill in the stretch boxes horizontal and vertical the percentage to shrink the image to and click OK.

Only problem being, what damn percentage do you pick. I hate these idiot software developers...

rsz_NewPictures006-1.jpg

it actually worked! I used the resize website and then photobucket, although I am now at my neighbors mooching highspeed.

So anyways, this is my cat Fritz, and this is his idea of "Peace and Tranquility".

There, now lisab makes sense again.

Your kitty is adorable, binzing!

Nice little coug.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?</h2><p>The purpose of this contest is to showcase photographs that capture the essence of peace and tranquility in our world. It is a way to promote positivity and mindfulness through beautiful imagery.</p><h2>2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?</h2><p>Anyone can participate in the contest, as long as they have a camera and a passion for photography. There are no age or location restrictions.</p><h2>3. How do I submit my entry for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?</h2><p>To submit your entry, you must post your photo on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #PFPhotoContest and tag the Peace and Tranquility page. You can also submit your photo through the contest's official website.</p><h2>4. Can I submit more than one photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?</h2><p>Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the contest. However, each participant can only win one prize.</p><h2>5. What are the prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?</h2><p>The prizes for the contest vary, but they often include cash prizes, photography equipment, and the opportunity to have your photo featured on the Peace and Tranquility page and their official website.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?

The purpose of this contest is to showcase photographs that capture the essence of peace and tranquility in our world. It is a way to promote positivity and mindfulness through beautiful imagery.

2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?

Anyone can participate in the contest, as long as they have a camera and a passion for photography. There are no age or location restrictions.

3. How do I submit my entry for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?

To submit your entry, you must post your photo on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #PFPhotoContest and tag the Peace and Tranquility page. You can also submit your photo through the contest's official website.

4. Can I submit more than one photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the contest. However, each participant can only win one prize.

5. What are the prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Peace And Tranquility?

The prizes for the contest vary, but they often include cash prizes, photography equipment, and the opportunity to have your photo featured on the Peace and Tranquility page and their official website.