Solving Definite Integral: \int x^2 \sqrt{4-x^2} dx | Textbook Question Answered

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a textbook involving the integral \int_{0}^{2} x^2 \sqrt{4-x^2} dx. The person initially attempts to solve the integral without the limits and makes a substitution of x = 2 \sin \theta. However, upon converting back to x, they run into issues and ask for help. The final answer obtained from a calculator is 3.14, but the person is unsure if they made a mistake in their calculations. They ask for clarification and receive guidance in fixing their error.
LHC
The question in my textbook was:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2} x^2 \sqrt{4-x^2} dx[/tex]

I decided to just leave out the lower and upper limits for now, and just solve [tex]\int x^2 \sqrt{4-x^2} dx[/tex].

(It's a bit long, but I assure you I did the work.) Upon making the substitution of [tex]x = 2 \sin \theta[/tex], I got it down to:

[tex]\int x^2 \sqrt{4-x^2} dx = \frac{8}{3} \sin^3 \theta + C[/tex]

Now, I'm transforming it back in terms of x, so [tex]\sin \theta = \frac{x}{2}[/tex]

So, I thought it would make this whole thing:

[tex]\int x^2 \sqrt{4-x^2} dx = \frac{8}{3} \times \frac{x^3}{8}[/tex], so

[tex]\int x^2 \sqrt{4-x^2} dx = \frac{x^3}{3}[/tex]

If I finish up the problem by using the limits of 0 and 2, I get:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2} x^2 \sqrt{4-x^2} dx = \frac{8}{3}[/tex]

But the answer I got from the calculator was around 3.14 (not pi, though). Could someone please tell me where I went wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, something went wrong in the long part you aren't telling us about. Because the derivative of x^3/3 is DEFINITELY not x^2*sqrt(4-x^2).

Also, FYI the integral should be exactly pi (so says maple).

Well, I think it's some misunderstanding on my part from the conversion between x and theta.

I used the Mathematica online integrator to verify and its answer was:

[tex]\frac{8}{3} \sqrt{\cos^2 x} \sin^2 x \tan x[/tex]...which, when I simplify (and perhaps this is the part where I'm wrong), I just end up with [tex]\frac{8}{3} \sin^3 \theta [/tex]... which is where I started off =P

What did you put into the integrator??

(2sinx)^2*sqrt[4-(2sinx)^2]

LHC said:
(2sinx)^2*sqrt[4-(2sinx)^2]

You forgot the part of the integrand that's coming from the dx in your substitution.

Alright, I shall try to fix it. (Gotta go, it's time for dinner.) Thanks for your help!

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve within a specific interval on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit.

2. How do you solve a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you first need to determine the antiderivative of the function. Then, plug in the upper and lower limits into the antiderivative and subtract the result at the lower limit from the result at the upper limit.

3. What is the purpose of the square root in the given definite integral?

The square root in the given definite integral, √(4-x^2), is used to represent the shape of the curve. It is a common function used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the area of a circle or the length of a curved line.

4. What is the significance of the x^2 term in the given definite integral?

The x^2 term in the given definite integral, x^2√(4-x^2), is the power of x and determines the shape of the curve. In this case, it creates a parabola-like curve that is symmetric around the y-axis.

5. Can you explain the process of solving the definite integral step by step?

Step 1: Determine the antiderivative of the given function, x^2√(4-x^2). In this case, the antiderivative is ⅓(4-x^2)^2 + C.Step 2: Plug in the upper and lower limits into the antiderivative and subtract the result at the lower limit from the result at the upper limit.Step 3: Simplify the resulting equation and solve for the answer.