How to design an orifice plate

In summary, Bashir is doing research on Upflow floating media filters and has some questions for us. He wants to know how flow rate will change if the orifice is connected to the pump, why we need an orifice, and how to make a design for an orifice.
Bashir2008
Hello everybody

Its Bashir .. I am doing a research on Upflow floating media filte and have some questions and kindly ask u to help me
:I will explain to u what I am going to do exactly

1) I have to built a filter pilot plant for water treatment ( its my research )

This filter will be around 2 or 3m in length and 300mm in diameter.. and i will test this filter in removal impurities from water.. of course i will connect this filter with feed water tank by using PVC pipes.. and will test different flow rater and will add some chemicals by using dosing pupm...

My question is:

1- i was thinking that the flow rate will change once its mixed with chemicals from the dosing pump .. so we decided to design an orifices plats and conncect them at certain positions on the pipes to keep the flow rate constant..

2- But to be honest: i really do not know exactly about the orfice and how it works and why we need to use it ?

3- Could u just explain to me ? and why the flow rate will change if we control it ..

4- what is the basics of design an orifice ?say for example i will use pipes with 30, 40mm in diameter for water flow to the filter and flow rate will be 170 to 300 L/H... and the velocity will be 2.5 and 5 m/h...

5- So how can i make a design for an orifice plate and where should i put it ?

Please try to answer my questions... I really need your help

Bashir Brika

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Bashir,

Bashir2008 said:
My question is:

1- i was thinking that the flow rate will change once its mixed with chemicals from the dosing pump .. so we decided to design an orifices plats and conncect them at certain positions on the pipes to keep the flow rate constant..

IIRC, the flow rate shouldn't change if the pump is capable of maintaining its designed flow rate. However, if the fluid density changes drastically as a result of adding the chemicals it might reduce it by overloading the pump.

Bashir2008 said:
2- But to be honest: i really do not know exactly about the orifice and how it works and why we need to use it ?

Orifice plates are used for various reasons. Some include, reducing or increasing line pressure, decreasing flow rates, etc...

Bashir2008 said:
3- Could u just explain to me ? and why the flow rate will change if we control it ..

One effect of an orifice plate will depend on the maximum flow rate the orifice is capable of flowing. For example, if used in a pumping system, and the maximum flow rate of the orifice is less than the flow rate of the pump, the pump will build a backpressure upstream of the orifice while reducing the flow rate downstream of the orifice.

Bashir2008 said:
4- what is the basics of design an orifice ?say for example i will use pipes with 30, 40mm in diameter for water flow to the filter and flow rate will be 170 to 300 L/H... and the velocity will be 2.5 and 5 m/h...

5- So how can i make a design for an orifice plate and where should i put it ?

Here are some links to help you out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orifice_plate

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluids/calc_orifice_flowmeter.cfm

http://www.flowmeterdirectory.com/flowmeter_orifice_calc.html

Hope this helps.

CS

Hello Bashir,

Thank you for reaching out with your questions about designing an orifice plate for your water treatment pilot plant. I am happy to assist you with this.

An orifice plate is a device used to measure and control the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe. It consists of a thin, flat plate with a hole in the center that is placed in the pipe. When the fluid flows through the hole, it creates a pressure drop that can be measured and used to determine the flow rate.

In your case, using an orifice plate can help to maintain a constant flow rate despite changes in the chemical dosing from the pump. Without an orifice plate, the flow rate may fluctuate as the chemicals are added.

To design an orifice plate, you will need to consider the diameter and flow rate of your pipes. The size of the hole in the plate will need to be calculated based on these factors to achieve the desired flow rate. The placement of the orifice plate should be at a distance from the pump and any bends in the pipe to ensure accurate measurement.

I would recommend consulting with a fluid dynamics expert or using online resources to help with the design of the orifice plate for your specific setup. It is important to ensure the accuracy of the plate for proper flow control.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. Good luck with your research!

1. What is an orifice plate and what is its purpose?

An orifice plate is a thin, circular plate with a hole in the middle that is used to measure the flow rate of a fluid in a pipeline. It is typically placed perpendicular to the flow of the fluid and creates a pressure drop that can be measured and used to calculate the flow rate.

2. How do I determine the size of an orifice plate for my application?

The size of an orifice plate is determined by the flow rate of the fluid, the type of fluid, and the pressure drop that is desired. There are various equations and tables available that can help in selecting the appropriate size for a specific application.

3. What materials are typically used to make an orifice plate?

Orifice plates are commonly made from materials such as carbon steel, stainless steel, or other alloys. The material used will depend on the type of fluid being measured and the operating conditions.

4. Are there different types of orifice plates?

Yes, there are several types of orifice plates, including concentric, eccentric, segmental, and quadrantal. These different types have varying designs and are used for different applications.

5. How do I install an orifice plate correctly?

Installing an orifice plate correctly is crucial in obtaining accurate flow measurements. It should be placed in a straight section of the pipeline, with at least 10 pipe diameters of straight pipe before the plate and 5 pipe diameters after. It should also be installed perpendicular to the flow and properly aligned with the pipe. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions for specific installation guidelines.