Ballistic Pendulum Bullet

In summary, the initial speed of the bullet can be found by using the conservation of momentum equation for the imperfectly inelastic collision between the bullet and the pendulum. The energy equation for the collision should also be corrected to reflect this. The answer given is 530 m/s, not the 2952 m/s calculated in the attempt at a solution.
rbrow039

Homework Statement

A 7.0-g bullet is fired into a 1.5-kg ballistic pendulum. The bullet emerges from the block with a speed of 200 m/s, and the block rises to a maximum height of 12 cm. Find the initial speed of the bullet.

Now I think this is an imperfect inelastic collision because the bullet does not lodge itself in the pendulum. So I assumed since it was inelastic I could ignore conservation of kinetic Energy.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum
Conservation of Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

m1v1i +m2v2i=(m1 + m2)vf
(.007kg x v1i)+0=(1.507kg)vf

(PE + KE)collision=(PE + KE)top
0 + (.5 x 1.507 x vf^2)= mgh + .5mv^2
0 + (.5 x 1.507kg x vf^2) = (1.5 kg x 9.81m/s^2 x .12m) + (.5 x .007kg x 200^2)
vf^2=(1.7658J + 140J)/(.7535kg)
vf=13.716m/s

(.007kg x v1i)=1.507kg x 13.716m/s
v1i = 2952 m/s
Now I know this is not the answer because the answer is given as 530m/s but I can't for the life of me figure out what went wrong with the energy calculation. (I'm assuming that's where the big boo boo happened)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rbrow039,

rbrow039 said:

Homework Statement

A 7.0-g bullet is fired into a 1.5-kg ballistic pendulum. The bullet emerges from the block with a speed of 200 m/s, and the block rises to a maximum height of 12 cm. Find the initial speed of the bullet.

Now I think this is an imperfect inelastic collision because the bullet does not lodge itself in the pendulum. So I assumed since it was inelastic I could ignore conservation of kinetic Energy.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum
Conservation of Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

m1v1i +m2v2i=(m1 + m2)vf

I don't believe this formula is correct; this formula applies to a perfectly inelastic collision (where both objects stick together and move with the same speed vf after the collision). As you remarked, these objects do not stick together after the collision. What would the conservation of momentum equation be for this case? (And notice they give you the speed of the bullet right after the collision.)

(.007kg x v1i)+0=(1.507kg)vf

(PE + KE)collision=(PE + KE)top
0 + (.5 x 1.507 x vf^2)= mgh + .5mv^2
0 + (.5 x 1.507kg x vf^2) = (1.5 kg x 9.81m/s^2 x .12m) + (.5 x .007kg x 200^2)

With the change to the conservation of momentum equation for the collision, do you see how to correct your energy equation?

I would like to point out that the approach taken in this solution is incorrect. The conservation of energy should always be used in any colliding system, regardless of whether it is an elastic or inelastic collision. In this case, since the bullet does not lodge itself in the pendulum, it is an inelastic collision, and the conservation of energy should be used to solve for the initial speed of the bullet. The assumption made in the solution that the conservation of kinetic energy can be ignored is not valid.

Furthermore, the equation used for the conservation of energy in this solution is incorrect. The correct equation for the conservation of energy in this case would be:

(KE)initial + (PE)initial = (KE)final + (PE)final

where (KE)initial and (PE)initial represent the kinetic and potential energy of the bullet before the collision, and (KE)final and (PE)final represent the kinetic and potential energy of the pendulum after the collision.

Using this equation, the correct solution would be:

(0.5 x 0.007kg x v1i^2) + (0) = (0.5 x 1.507kg x 13.716m/s)^2 + (1.5kg x 9.81m/s^2 x 0.12m)

Solving for v1i, we get v1i = 530 m/s, which is the correct answer.

In conclusion, as a scientist, it is important to use the correct equations and assumptions when solving for a problem. In this case, the conservation of energy should always be used in any colliding system, regardless of whether it is an elastic or inelastic collision.

1. What is a ballistic pendulum bullet?

A ballistic pendulum bullet is a device used to measure the speed of a bullet by measuring the height to which it raises a pendulum upon impact.

2. How does a ballistic pendulum bullet work?

A ballistic pendulum bullet works by shooting a bullet into a hanging pendulum. The bullet embeds itself in the pendulum, causing it to swing as a result of the bullet's momentum. By measuring the height to which the pendulum rises, the speed of the bullet can be calculated.

3. What are the benefits of using a ballistic pendulum bullet?

Using a ballistic pendulum bullet allows for the measurement of a bullet's speed without the use of high-speed cameras or other expensive equipment. It also provides a more accurate measurement of the bullet's speed compared to other methods.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum bullet?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum bullet can be affected by factors such as the weight and shape of the bullet, the angle at which it is fired, and the friction of the pendulum's pivot point.

5. How is the speed of the bullet calculated using a ballistic pendulum bullet?

To calculate the speed of the bullet, the mass of the pendulum, the height to which it rises, and the gravitational acceleration are used in the equation: bullet speed = (pendulum mass x gravitational acceleration x height) / (bullet mass + pendulum mass).