Summer Research Placement (undergrad)

In summary, the speaker is a third year undergraduate at Oxford University and is looking for a physics based summer placement with a focus on research. They had a previous placement in the Oxford Astro department and are now seeking a new challenge. They are specifically interested in opportunities in astrophysics or cosmology for UK citizens. They are open to different types of projects and have experience with observing and data analysis. They are also interested in theoretical work and are not picky about the opportunity.
ghetom
Hi, I'm a third year undergrad at Oxford, and I really want to find a physics based summer placement, where I can do some research, and possibly attend a lecture course (although research is my main aim).

I was lucky enough to spend 7 weeks in the Oxford Astro department last summer, doing a research project, but I would like to find a challenge somewhere else in 2010. Does anybody know of any good opportunities, (preferably, but not exclusively, in astrophysics or cosmology), available to UK citizens?

I'd really appreciate some help, because so far I've only found the CERN summer program, (which isn't astro), and a very small program at the AngloAustralian Observatory.

Thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any specific programmes, and am not sure where you would look, unfortunately. Perhaps you should speculatively email a few departments around the country and see if they have any information. I do know that the royal astronomical society has a pot of money that can be put towards undergrad research projects, so I imagine the only difficult part will be finding someone with a good idea for a short project who is willing to supervise you. What specific interests do you have; what was your research on last year?

Thanks for the advice; especially about the RAS.

Last year I did a project indirectly looking for high redshift quasars; My supervisor had already identified candidate objects from the SDSS, and observed them to an R band magnitude ~25. I reduced and photometrized the images (using IRAF), and eliminated the SDSS candidates that had a corresponding optical source (The redshifted Lyman limit for z~6.5 is far longer than optical wavelengths). I also did some work with the oxford group working on the design for the square kilometre array. It was all pretty interesting and I learned alot; but I would be interested in trying different things too; either in at a different wavelength, or theoretical work. I've really enjoyed all my astro/cosmology course, so I really wouldn't be fussy about any opportunity.

What is a Summer Research Placement for undergraduates?

A Summer Research Placement for undergraduates is a program that allows undergraduate students to participate in research activities during the summer months. This can include working in a laboratory, conducting experiments, and assisting with data analysis. It is a great opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study and build their research skills.

Who is eligible for a Summer Research Placement?

Eligibility for a Summer Research Placement varies depending on the program and institution. In general, undergraduate students who have completed their first or second year of study are eligible. Some programs may also have specific requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific coursework. It is important to check with the program or institution for their specific eligibility criteria.

How long does a Summer Research Placement typically last?

The duration of a Summer Research Placement can vary, but it typically lasts for 8-12 weeks. Some programs may offer longer or shorter placements, so it is important to check with the program for their specific duration. In some cases, students may also have the option to extend their placement if they wish to continue their research project.

Do Summer Research Placements provide financial support?

Many Summer Research Placements provide financial support for participating students. This can include a stipend, housing assistance, or travel funds. However, the level of financial support can vary depending on the program and institution. It is important to inquire about the financial support available when applying for a Summer Research Placement.

What are the benefits of participating in a Summer Research Placement?

Participating in a Summer Research Placement can have many benefits for undergraduate students. It allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study, develop research skills, and build relationships with faculty and other researchers. It can also enhance a student's resume and provide valuable experience for future academic or career opportunities.