Uncovering the Truth Behind Power Balance Bracelets

In summary, there is a lot of controversy surrounding the Power Balance bracelet and its supposed benefits for improving performance. Some people believe it is a complete scam, while others argue that there may be some value in the idea of peer review and double-blind studies. However, it is going out of business due to false advertising and exploiting people's superstitions. Additionally, there is skepticism about the use of holographic technology and subtle energy fields in the bracelet. In conclusion, the Power Balance bracelet is not scientifically proven to have any benefits and is considered a scam by many.
flatmaster
http://www.powerbalance.com/

Has anyone researched the power balance bracelet? I bought one for $30 and I'm going to test it on some high schoolers. I think everyone here would be convinced that this is complete quackery, however, I think there is still a valuable lesson about peer review and double-blind studies.

Physics news on Phys.org
flatmaster said:
double-blind studies.
How exactly do you do a double-blind study, don't tell people they are wearing one?

There is also a management effect where whenever you study something that is supposed to improve performance you will see an improvement - just because people work harder when somebody is standing over them with a clip-board

mgb_phys said:
How exactly do you do a double-blind study, don't tell people they are wearing one?

There is also a management effect where whenever you study something that is supposed to improve performance you will see an improvement - just because people work harder when somebody is standing over them with a clip-board

It might be possible to do a single blind study, but I agree, a double blind study would be hard to do. If you gave a bunch of people those wristbands, or some other plastic wristband, and didn't really tell them what they were for, or what they were supposed to do, just that it was to "support a good cause" or something like that, then monitored their performance in something like a gym class, and see if it was better with the "magic" wristbands. If you can tell who is in what group, you would absolutely need some VERY objective measures. Or, you might have the data collected by someone else who could still tell by looking that people were in different groups, but didn't know which one was the test or control group.

To do a double blind study, you'd actually have to manufacture wristbands that are identical in appearance, put them into bags that were coded by someone else, and hand them out to people without you or the subject knowing what the codes meant. Then you could monitor their performance at physical activities, and only after the entire study was done, break the code.

Though, flatmaster didn't say s/he was going to do a double-blind study, only that s/he would demonstrate the importance of double-blind studies. S/he might be demonstrating the flaws in an alternative design.

Moonbear said:
Though, flatmaster didn't say s/he was going to do a double-blind study, only that s/he would demonstrate the importance of double-blind studies. S/he might be demonstrating the flaws in an alternative design.

It's he.

And yes, the plan would be merely to talk about double-blind studies.

After watching the Milwaukee Bucks game tonight I noticed rookie Brandon Jennings has a Power Balance on each wrist. He shot 1-8. Guess it doesn't work :)

http://media.jsonline.com/images/660*647/deer40610.jpg

er, copper bracelets anyone? I have friends who wear them and green wrists are the most prominent effect. If I pretend not to notice, is that a double blind test?

I'm glad this is going out of business. I know a lot of sports fans who are extremely superstitious who have to wear the same jersey to every game they go to because they think whatever they may do has some kind of effect on the outcome of an event.

They abused these sports fans' superstition by telling them these bracelets will make you faster, stronger, and run longer. I have been bothered several times by the employees at the mall in SLC that tell me all about it. Of course, I was courteous and gave them the time to explain the product. Apparently, not only does it give you strength and balance, but it also uses "holographic technology" to "revitalize the ions in your body." Surely, anyone on PF will realize how big of a joke this feeble explanation was.

The trick is they ask you to hold your arms out to your sides and they pull your arm before and after wearing the bracelet to show how much more balance you have. They show this by using simple physics: they pull your arm first parallel to the length of your arm, where a larger moment/torque develops. Upon donning the bracelet, they pull downward, near your shoulder, where the moment arm (no pun intended) is smaller, since the distance from the location of the applied force to the person's center of gravity has been reduced. She tried to do this to me...I had to do all I could to not laugh out loud (I figured she's probably a desperate college student like me, trying to pay the bills).

Let's hope nothing like this ever happens again...

So...anyone excited to see The Phantom Menace in 3D? ;)

daric soldar said:
So...anyone excited to see The Phantom Menace in 3D? ;)

Only if they delete JarJar from the timeline. The real world one. And then pay me to go see it.

ooh, are these the same thing as those "EMF" neutralizers? They talk about "subtle energy" fields and programming vibrational patterns into a hologram so it would resonate with what the human body oughtta be resonating at... I don't get it. I thought it was just for office use because of all those electronic appliances, and not for sports enhancement.

Confusedd said:
ooh, are these the same thing as those "EMF" neutralizers? They talk about "subtle energy" fields and programming vibrational patterns into a hologram so it would resonate with what the human body oughtta be resonating at... I don't get it. I thought it was just for office use because of all those electronic appliances, and not for sports enhancement.

It is one hundred percent a scam. The bracelets do nothing useful.

1. What are power balance bracelets and how do they work?

Power balance bracelets are silicone wristbands that are marketed to improve balance, strength, and flexibility. The bracelets contain a small hologram sticker that is claimed to interact with the body's natural energy field, thus improving performance. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims and the supposed mechanism of action is not scientifically plausible.

2. Do power balance bracelets actually work?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the claims made by power balance bracelets. Numerous studies have been conducted and none have found any significant effects on balance, strength, or flexibility. In fact, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) ordered the company to retract their misleading advertising and offer refunds to customers.

3. Are there any potential risks or side effects of using power balance bracelets?

While there are no known risks or side effects of using power balance bracelets, there is also no scientific evidence to support their effectiveness. Therefore, individuals may be wasting their money on a product that has no proven benefits. Additionally, relying on a bracelet for improved balance or strength could lead to a false sense of security and potentially result in injury.

4. Why do some people claim to feel better when wearing a power balance bracelet?

The perceived benefits of power balance bracelets can be attributed to the placebo effect. This is a phenomenon where an individual experiences positive effects simply from believing in the treatment. Since power balance bracelets are marketed as having a specific effect, individuals may experience a placebo response and feel better when wearing the bracelet, even though there is no scientific evidence to support its effectiveness.

5. Can power balance bracelets be harmful or interfere with medical treatments?

There is no evidence to suggest that power balance bracelets can be harmful or interfere with medical treatments. However, it is important to note that relying on the bracelet for medical benefits instead of seeking proper medical treatment could potentially be harmful. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional for any medical concerns.