Help Needed: Fnding Simple Motion Analysis Setup

In summary, a colleague is looking for a simple motion analysis setup, but is frustrated with consumer-level options. He recommends a camcorder with manual shutter settings.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'm hoping someone here an help out; I've gotten rather frustrated trying to do something simple.

A colleague asked me to help him put together a simple motion analysis setup (Physics I style) as a lab tool. Standard video rates (30 fps etc) are more than sufficient. What *is* important is the ability to freeze motion within a frame; I figured he needs a basic video camera that has an adjustable shutter speed. Well...

Apparently there is no such thing. At least, there is no such consumer-level thing. We end up either on the path of high-frame rate cameras (overkill and too expensive), or 'scientific' cameras that require being tethered to a computer- so we can't go outside and video something being dropped off the roof (for example).

The other suggestion I had was a basic video camera and a strobe set to 30 fps- the downside is that the room lights need to be turned off and any autofocus routine will grind the camera to a halt.

Help? I'm really at a loss here. It's bizarre, frankly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange as it sounds, EOS 7D does what you want. Not necessarily consumer level, but I wonder if EOS 60D is not similar enough.

Andre said:
You may want to go over the specs of this one

http://www.dpreview.com/products/casio/compacts/casio_exfh25

Thanks, but this is what I meant by 'getting steered down the road to a high-speed camera'. He doesn't need 400 fps- the resolution suffers, and he would first need to delete nearly 90% of the images to get a reasonably-sized dataset that could be analyzed. On the 'videography' specs, there is no information about shutter speed/acquisition time- is it controllable? No way to tell.

That said, the 'burst shoot' mode at 40 fps may be a reasonable approach- thanks!

Borek said:
Strange as it sounds, EOS 7D does what you want. Not necessarily consumer level, but I wonder if EOS 60D is not similar enough.

Thanks, but these are not what he's looking for- a camera suitable for use by a Physics I lab student.

Andy Resnick said:
That said, the 'burst shoot' mode at 40 fps may be a reasonable approach- thanks!

That's the idea since this 40pfs is about JPEG output with controllable shutter speed. However I don't have any idea about the resolution at that rate.

However any lab, looking for a low cost high speed graphical recording, may want to examine the Casio EXFH series (there are several models). They don't earn the best quality prices but they are still unique in speed.

Oh disclaimer for infraction hunters, I have no interest whatsoever selling camera's, just helping a friend.

I ended up recommending a camcorder- most of these have manual shutter settings:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/Basic-Budget.htm
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-HDC-TM40-Camcorder-Review/Specs-and-Ratings.htm

It's just weird- I can get a basic camera that has both a shutter priority setting and takes video, but (apparently) can't do both at the same time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Resnick said:
http://www.squidoo.com/nikond3200review
I ended up recommending a camcorder- most of these have manual shutter settings:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/Basic-Budget.htm
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-HDC-TM40-Camcorder-Review/Specs-and-Ratings.htm

It's just weird- I can get a basic camera that has both a shutter priority setting and takes video, but (apparently) can't do both at the same time...
so did you find a workaround for the lights needing to be turned off and the autofocus problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
gernilam said:
so did you find a workaround for the lights needing to be turned off and the autofocus problem?

Heh... I had to go track the answer down; I'd completely forgotten about this. Apparently he ended up getting a camcorder, one of the Canon models IIRC, but hasn't done anything other than charge the battery.

1. What is a simple motion analysis setup?

A simple motion analysis setup is a system that allows scientists to track and measure the movement of objects or organisms. It typically involves a camera or other imaging device to capture the motion and software to analyze the data.

2. Why is a simple motion analysis setup important in scientific research?

A simple motion analysis setup is important because it allows scientists to accurately study and understand movement patterns, which are essential in fields such as biomechanics, sports science, and animal behavior. It also helps in the development of new technologies and treatments.

3. What are the components of a simple motion analysis setup?

A simple motion analysis setup typically includes a camera or other imaging device, software for data analysis, and a method for tracking or marking the subject's movement. Additional components may include lighting, markers, and a calibration system.

4. How accurate is a simple motion analysis setup?

The accuracy of a simple motion analysis setup depends on various factors such as the quality of the equipment, the calibration process, and the skill of the user. However, with proper setup and calibration, it can provide highly accurate data for scientific analysis.

5. Can a simple motion analysis setup be used in real-world applications?

Yes, a simple motion analysis setup is widely used in various real-world applications such as sports training, medical rehabilitation, and animal behavior research. It can also be used in industrial and engineering settings to improve efficiency and safety.