What Makes a Successful Fisherman?

• Thread starter brerabbit
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the essential fishing gear needed for success, key skills for a successful fisherman, the importance of location in fishing, common mistakes that can hinder success, and tips for beginners to become successful fishermen. Some key takeaways include having the right gear, knowledge of different techniques, understanding weather and water conditions, and being patient and persistent in your fishing journey.
brerabbit
Hello all, I hope to meet you sometime. I am near Incline Village, Nevada so have a conservative bent on issues. Since I am new to this Forum, please bear with me while I climb the learning curve and sharpen my spell checker.

thanx, brerabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVnu71jVibI

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, brerabbit!

I too am 68 and retired. I gain a lot from participating here on PF. Hope you do, too.

Bobbywhy

Bobbywhy said:
Welcome to Physics Forums, brerabbit!

I too am 68 and retired. I gain a lot from participating here on PF. Hope you do, too.

Bobbywhy

thanx bobbywhy:

It is good to know that I am not the only senior here. Thank you for the conversation and welcome.

brerabbit

I and my neighbors are all retired guys living in NE Arkansas Ozarks.

We call ourselves Ozark Cultural Society.
Most mornings we get together over coffee to discuss pickup trucks, hunting and fishing, gun shows, and Fox News hemlines.

old jim

Welcome Brer. Please forgive me if I don't bare with you. At our age, it's a bit out of style.

Welcome to PF!

Do you have a favorite fish??

This talk about fish and old age makes me think about ostracoderms. Relatives to hagfish.

jim hardy said:
I and my neighbors are all retired guys living in NE Arkansas Ozarks.

We call ourselves Ozark Cultural Society.
Most mornings we get together over coffee to discuss pickup trucks, hunting and fishing, gun shows, and Fox News hemlines.

old jim

hello jim,

I fit right in with your clan but would in my afternoon nap.

brer

Borek said:

hello borek,

Thank you for the age distribution here at the PF. I figured that the 29's would rule. I expect to have an interesting time here at PF. Thanx for the welcome.

brer

Last edited:
turbo said:
Welcome Brer. Please forgive me if I don't bare with you. At our age, it's a bit out of style.

turbo

Thank you for the welcome. The bare misspelling was changed but was correct for some PF members if the PF Mentors approve.

brer

Last edited:
And hear eye thought ewe were making a joke about the spell chequer.

micromass said:
Welcome to PF!

Do you have a favorite fish??

micromass.

Thank you for the welcome. ...Fish?? ...Well don't tell my wife that my favorite fish are a couple of MGD. The way I figure is that if I catch a fish, I have to clean it, freeze in Ice, put on a new hook and bait. At my age that is to much work, so we stop by the grocery store, buy a couple of fish and a MGD and she is thrilled with my buddies arduous fishing works.

brer

Jimmy Snyder said:
And hear eye thought ewe were making a joke about the spell chequer.

jimmy.

Thanx for the welcome. ...BTW, my Spewwl Checker needs a refresh often. ..:biggrin:

brer

Borek said:
This talk about fish and old age makes me think about ostracoderms. Relatives to hagfish.

Borek,

This Ostracoderms ? I think that a Trout is for me. ...:smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostracoderm

Ostracoderms ("shell-skinned") are any of several groups of extinct, primitive, jawless fishes that were covered in an armor of bony plates. They belong to the taxon Ostracodermi, and their fossils are found in the Ordovician and Devonian Period strata of North America and Europe. They were often less than 30 cm (1 ft) long and were probably slow, bottom-dwelling animals.[1] Another innovation of ostracoderms was the use of gills not for feeding, but exclusively for respiration. Earlier chordates with gills used them for both respiration and feeding. Ostracoderms had separate pharyngeal gill pouches along the side of the head, which were permanently open with no protective operculum. Unlike invertebrates that use ciliated motion to move food, ostracoderms used their muscular pharynx to create a suction that pulled small and slow moving prey into their mouths.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Ostracoderm.jpg [Broken]

brer

Last edited by a moderator:
*smacks brerabbit with a big MGD fish*

http://files.myopera.com/Chyren/files/fishSlap1a.gif [Broken]

You're now officially a PF member. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gad said:
*smacks brerabbit with a big MGD fish*

You're now officially a PF member. :biggrin:

gad.

Thanx for the welcome, i guess. This is how I see fishing. ...:cool:

Hammock-Boat.jpg

brer

Last edited:
If you catch any fish, you're not doing it right.

Jimmy Snyder said:
If you catch any fish, you're not doing it right.

exactly!

1. What type of fishing gear is essential for success?

The type of fishing gear needed for success varies depending on the type of fish you are targeting and the location you are fishing in. However, some essential gear includes a fishing rod, fishing line, hooks, sinkers, bait, and a tackle box to store all your gear.

2. What are the key skills a successful fisherman should have?

Some key skills that a successful fisherman should have include patience, knowledge of different fishing techniques, ability to read and understand weather and water conditions, and good hand-eye coordination for casting and reeling in fish.

3. How important is location for successful fishing?

Location is crucial for successful fishing. Different types of fish prefer different environments, so it's essential to research and choose a fishing spot that is known for the type of fish you want to catch. Factors like water temperature, depth, and structure also play a significant role in the success of your fishing trip.

4. What are some common mistakes that can hinder a fisherman's success?

Some common mistakes that can hinder a fisherman's success include using the wrong bait or lures, not paying attention to weather and water conditions, and not being patient enough to wait for the fish to bite. It's also essential to have the right gear and know how to use it properly to avoid any mishaps.

5. How can a beginner become a successful fisherman?

To become a successful fisherman, a beginner should start by learning the basics of fishing, such as tying knots, casting, and identifying different types of fish. It's also helpful to go out with an experienced fisherman and observe their techniques. Practice and patience are key to becoming a successful fisherman, so don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything on your first few trips.