The Energy of a Multiparticle System

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the kinetic energy of an electron in a circular orbit around a proton is equal to -\frac{1}{2} times its potential energy, using the virial theorem. The approach is to use the equations for the Coulomb force and centripetal acceleration, as well as the fact that the orbit is circular. The conversation also mentions the use of action based Lagrangian mechanics and warns against giving away the answer.
aaj92

Homework Statement

Consider an electron (charge -e and mass m) in a circular orbit of radius r around a fixed proton (charge+e). Remembering that the inward Coulomb force ( ke[itex]^{2}[/itex]/r[itex]^{2}[/itex]) is what gives the electron its centripetal acceleration, prove that the electron's KE is equal to -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] times it's PE; that is, T = -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]U and hence E = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]U. (This result is a consequence of the so called virial theorem. Now consider the following inelastic collision of an electron with a hydrogen atom: Electron number 1 is in a circular orbit of radius r around a fixed proton. Electron 2 approaches from afar with kinetic energy T[itex]_{2}[/itex]. When the second electron hits the atom, the first electron is knocked free and the second is captured in a circular orbit of radius r'.

Homework Equations

coulomb force : ke[itex]^{2}[/itex]/r[itex]^{2}[/itex]

virial theorem T = nU/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really worried about the second part of this problem quite yet. Right now I'm not really sure how to go about proving that the kinetic energy is -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] times the potential energy... can someone get me started on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use the virial theorem! :p

It's been a while since I've done this but I'm pretty sure it's just a case of writing down the kinetic and potential energies and then stating the correlation.

haha sorry I know it probably seems obvious but we haven't even had the virial theorem mentioned in class. So I'm not really sure how to use it? :/ but I'll try to figure it out

Don't worry, the virial theorm is part of action based lagrangian mechanics, you probably haven't encountered it.

You should use the fact that the orbit is circular, that is to say that r doesn't change.
So try playing about with the equation for the inwards force and the outwards centripital (centrifugal? I can't never remember which is the outwards pushing one)
[itex]a_{outwards} = \frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]
[itex]a_{outwards} + a_{inwards} = 0[/itex]

See if you can work out the kinetic energy from that then see what happens when you compare it to the potential energy

I still can't get this. I'm sorry I'm just slightly frustrated with this and now it's late haha can I just get an explanation for this :/ I'm struggling in this class right now

I've been given warnings for being too overzealous with my hinting so I'll try my best to help without giving you the answer

Mod note: removed overzealous answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! This really helps a lot :)

no problem buddy!

1. What is the definition of "The Energy of a Multiparticle System"?

The energy of a multiparticle system refers to the total amount of energy possessed by a collection of particles. This includes both the kinetic energy of the particles (due to their motion) and the potential energy (due to their interactions).

2. How is the energy of a multiparticle system calculated?

The energy of a multiparticle system can be calculated by summing up the kinetic energy of each particle (1/2mv^2) and the potential energy between each pair of particles (e.g. gravitational potential energy or electrostatic potential energy).

3. What factors affect the energy of a multiparticle system?

The energy of a multiparticle system is affected by the mass, velocity, and interactions between the particles. Other factors such as external forces and the system's environment can also influence the energy.

4. How does the energy of a multiparticle system change over time?

The energy of a multiparticle system can change over time due to various factors such as external forces, energy transfer between particles, and changes in the system's environment. The total energy of the system, however, remains constant unless there is an external energy source or sink.

5. What are some real-life examples of multiparticle systems?

Some examples of multiparticle systems include gases (composed of multiple particles), stars (composed of gas and dust particles), and molecules (composed of atoms). These systems can have complex interactions and exhibit interesting behaviors due to their energy dynamics.