How can I rearrange an equation for circular motion to solve for velocity?

• Thread starter junkie_ball
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an example of an equation for circular motion and how to express the variable 'V'. The steps involve dividing both sides by 0.5m, resulting in the equation gr + (2√rg)2 = 0.5v2 and then rearranging to get gr + (2√rg)2 = 0.5v2. The person also mentions struggling with the concept after not using it for many years.
junkie_ball
Hi newbie question,

I'm trying to work through an example of a equation where circular motion can be expressed . I'm having difficultly understanding where the next line in the equation comes from. I have shown them below. My goal is to express 'V' although currently i am a few steps away from this.

Line 1

mgr + 0.5m(2[itex]\sqrt{}rg[/itex])2 = 0.5mv2

Line 2

gr + (2[itex]\sqrt{}rg[/itex])2 / 2 = 0.5v2

I can follow the equation such that i understand both 0.5m cancels out from both sides but i get lost when i try to figure out how i lose the m from the mgr expression in line 1 from line 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. original ... mgr + 0.5m(2√rg)2 = 0.5mv2

2. divide both sides by 0.5m... (mgr / 0.5m) + (0.5m(2√rg)2 / 0.5m) = v2

3. result ... (gr / 0.5) + (2√rg)2 = v2

4. rearrange ... gr + (2√rg)2 = 0.5v2

I haven't touched physics & maths for 11 years since i left university with a masters but i think that is how you get the above.

:cool:

flyingsleuth said:
1. original ... mgr + 0.5m(2√rg)2 = 0.5mv2

2. divide both sides by 0.5m... (mgr / 0.5m) + (0.5m(2√rg)2 / 0.5m) = v2

3. result ... (gr / 0.5) + (2√rg)2 = v2

4. rearrange ... gr + (2√rg)2 = 0.5v2

I haven't touched physics & maths for 11 years since i left university with a masters but i think that is how you get the above.

:cool:

Thanks for the reply. It now makes sense i was forgetting about the 0.5m on the right hand side which would cancel a 0.5m on the left hand side. Thanks for the explanation. :D

1. What is equation re-arrangement?

Equation re-arrangement is the process of changing the structure and order of an equation to solve for a different variable. This is commonly used in mathematics and science to manipulate equations to find unknown values.

2. Why is equation re-arrangement important in science?

Equation re-arrangement is important in science because it allows scientists to solve for unknown variables and make predictions based on mathematical models. This helps to understand and explain natural phenomena and make informed decisions based on data.

3. What are the steps for re-arranging an equation?

The steps for re-arranging an equation are as follows: 1) Identify the variable you want to solve for, 2) Isolate that variable on one side of the equation, 3) Use inverse operations to move all other terms to the other side, 4) Simplify the equation, and 5) Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Can any equation be re-arranged?

Yes, any equation can be re-arranged as long as it follows the rules of algebra. However, some equations may be more complex and require more steps to re-arrange.

5. How does equation re-arrangement relate to real-world applications?

Equation re-arrangement is used in various real-world applications such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. It allows scientists and engineers to make calculations and predictions based on mathematical models, which can be applied to solve real-world problems and improve technology and processes.