Write the trigonometric expression as an algebraic expression

In summary, the problem is that the triangle has been labeled incorrectly, and the correct labels for the sides of the triangle are v/1 = v for the inner trig function, and that is where I made the mistake... I think.
jkristia

Homework Statement

Not long ago I had a similar problem, which I was able to solve after reading this thread, but for this question I'm stuck and I could use a small hint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=45020&stc=1&d=1331609688.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks

Attachments

• trig-question.png
    trig-question.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 3,288
Physics news on Phys.org
I would first solve for [itex]arctan(v)[/itex] in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. See if you can do the rest!

jkristia said:

Homework Statement

Not long ago I had a similar problem, which I was able to solve after reading this thread, but for this question I'm stuck and I could use a small hint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=45020&stc=1&d=1331609688.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks
Label the triangle differently. Label it so that the tangent of α is v .

[itex]\displaystyle \tan(\alpha)=\frac{v}{1}\,.[/itex]

>>I would first solve for arctan(v) in terms of α

>>Label the triangle differently. Label it so that the tangent of α is v .

hmm, I think that is what I have, tan (α) = v = sqrt..., I'm still missing something.

jkristia said:
>>I would first solve for arctan(v) in terms of α

>>Label the triangle differently. Label it so that the tangent of α is v .

hmm, I think that is what I have, tan (α) = v = sqrt..., I'm still missing something.

Okay, so you have [itex]tan(\alpha) = v[/itex]. What is [itex]arctan(v)[/itex]? Then, working from the inside out, what is [itex]sin(arctan(v))[/itex]?

That is the part I'm missing, how do I find the exact value of atan(v). I know what the result is, but I don't know how to get to it.

jkristia said:
That is the part I'm missing, how do I find the exact value of atan(v). I know what the result is, but I don't know how to get to it.

Look in your original picture. v is equal to four quantities, which one would give you a nice value for [itex]arctan(v)[/itex]?

I appreciate the help and the hints, but at the moment I'm blank. I'm sure the answer is staring right at me, and it is pretty straight forward - but I just can't see it. I will think more about this during the day and hopefully tonight when I get back to it, the answer jumps right out of the picture.

ah - I think I got it, will try later. I need to find the inverse of v = sqrt()/x.

A little closer, but not there yet.
attachment.php?attachmentid=45034&stc=1&d=1331656005.png

Attachments

• trig2.png
    trig2.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 551
Sorry for the late reply, I took a nap!

What is [itex]arctan(tan(x))[/itex] equal to?

Can you see which value to plug in now?

Then you need to calculate sine of that number you get, which is also listed in the picture as a number not involving trig functions or trig inverses.

I have not been able to figure this out by myself, I kept going in circles. Finally when I was about to give up I Bing'ed it and found this explanation http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53946.html - and now I can see how simple it is, and I can see my main problem was the labeling as was pointed out in one of the answers. Had I labeled the figure correct, then I might have been able to figure it out on my own.

Yeah, I've had plenty of those moments, and then it just clicks. Just so we all know you understand it correctly, what answer did you get?

This is how I solved it. It is exactly the same steps as on the link. I read the explanation, closed the browser and solved it myself by first drawing a new trigangle with the 'correct' labels, and then it pretty much fell in place.

I think the trick is to label the triangle with the sides as v/1 = v for the inner trig function, and that is where I made the mistake... I think

attachment.php?attachmentid=45076&stc=1&d=1331740423.png

Again, thank you for your help.

Edit: I just noticed that the tanθ does not provide any additional information.

Attachments

• trig3.png
    trig3.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,178
Last edited:
That looks good to me based off of the labels of the diagram! Just wanted to make sure you figured out the problem correctly!

1. What is a trigonometric expression?

A trigonometric expression is an algebraic expression that contains trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, or their inverse functions. These expressions involve angles and are commonly used to solve problems in geometry, physics, and engineering.

2. How do I convert a trigonometric expression into an algebraic expression?

To convert a trigonometric expression into an algebraic expression, you can use the identities and properties of trigonometric functions. For example, sine and cosine can be expressed in terms of each other using the Pythagorean identity. You can also use the double angle or half angle formulas to simplify the expression.

3. Can a trigonometric expression be simplified?

Yes, a trigonometric expression can be simplified using the identities and properties of trigonometric functions. You can also use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression. The goal is to reduce the expression into a simpler form that is easier to work with and can help solve a problem.

4. What is the difference between a trigonometric expression and an algebraic expression?

A trigonometric expression contains trigonometric functions and involves angles, while an algebraic expression typically does not involve angles and contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations. Trigonometric expressions are commonly used in geometry and physics, while algebraic expressions are used in various areas of mathematics.

5. How can I use trigonometric expressions in real-life situations?

Trigonometric expressions are used in various real-life situations, such as calculating distances and heights, designing buildings and bridges, and analyzing wave patterns. For example, architects and engineers use trigonometric expressions to determine the angle of elevation for a building or the length of a bridge's support cables.