Skater. Angular Momentum. Velocity.

In summary, the skater's angular momentum remains constant while her angular velocity increases when she brings her arms in closer during a spin. This is due to the decrease in radius of her moment of inertia. This effect is not impacted by external forces such as gravity or the force of the ice on the skater.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

10. A skater brings her arms in close to her body during a spin. What is the effect on her
angular momentum and angular velocity?

A) Angular momentum increases, velocity increases.
B) Angular momentum decreases, velocity decreases.
C) Angular momentum remains constant, velocity increases.
D) There is insufficient information to tell what will happen

Homework Equations

L = Iω
ω = v / r

The Attempt at a Solution

By bringing her arms in closer, she is decreasing the radius of her moment of inertia. As "r" gets smaller, v gets larger so ω becomes larger. When ω becomes larger, L is larger too because they're directly proportional. I choose "A." Do you all agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. What external forces are at work here? (I assume friction is being ignored.)

PeachBanana said:
By bringing her arms in closer, she is decreasing the radius of her moment of inertia.
and what effect does that have on her moment of inertia?

tms - Erm, gravity?

rcgldr - I = Mr^2 for a point mass so that decreases I.

ω * r = v

I just said "r" decreased. Perhaps letter "B" is a better choice.

external forces
PeachBanana said:
gravity?
Yes, but is that affecting the angular momentum? If no external force is affecting angular momentum, then what usually happens with angular momentum.

what happens when skater pull in her arms
PeachBanana said:
I = Mr^2 for a point mass so that decreases I.
So what do you think happens with angular momentum?

rcgldr - When no external forces are acting, angular momentum is conserved. But if "I" decreases, "L" should too.

PeachBanana said:
rcgldr - When no external forces are acting, angular momentum is conserved. But if "I" decreases, "L" should too.
If angular momentum is conserved and "I" decreases, then what should happen with ω ?

Angular momentum must increase to compensate for that. I was thinking of "v" and not "ω." So if someone came along and pushed the skater, would that be an external force?

"C."

rcgldr said:
If angular momentum is conserved and "I" decreases, then what should happen with ω ?

PeachBanana said:
Angular momentum must increase to compensate for that.
Did you mean that angular velocity must increase (since angular momentum is conserved)?

C.is correct:angular momentum remains constant,velocity increase because radius decrease...

rcgldr - Yes. That's what I should have typed. Sorry about that.

PeachBanana said:
tms - Erm, gravity?

Which is exactly countered by the force of the ice on the skater, thus no net external force. Unless, perhaps, the skater is boring a hole through the ice, but I think we can ignore that possibility.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It takes into account both an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to skaters?

When a skater performs a spin or a jump, they are changing their body's angular momentum by changing their body's orientation and velocity. This is why skaters often pull in their arms or legs during a spin, to decrease their moment of inertia and increase their angular velocity.

3. How is angular momentum conserved in skating?

In a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that as a skater performs a spin or a jump, their angular momentum may change, but the total angular momentum of the skater and the ice beneath them remains the same.

4. What is the relationship between angular momentum and velocity?

As the velocity of an object increases, its angular momentum also increases. This is because the faster an object is moving, the more force it exerts to maintain its rotational motion, resulting in a higher angular momentum.

5. How does a skater use angular momentum to their advantage?

Skaters can use their knowledge of angular momentum to perform impressive spins and jumps. By changing their body's orientation and velocity, they can manipulate their angular momentum to execute complex and visually stunning movements on the ice.