Fluid Mechanics Viscosity Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a fluid mechanics question involving a shaft being pushed through a bearing sleeve filled with oil. The student is struggling with finding the force exerted by the oil on the shaft and is seeking help. Relevant equations and the student's attempt at a solution are provided, but they are unsure if they are on the correct path.
karius

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new here, and long story short, I'm struggling a bit on a fluid mechanics question I've been doing for some revision.

A shaft 70 mm in diameter is being pushed at a speed of 400 mm/s through a bearing sleeve
70.2 mm in diameter and 250 mm long. The clearance, assumed uniform, is filled with oil
with kinematic viscosity ν = 0.005 m^2/s and density ρ = 900 kg/m^3. Find the force exerted by the oil on the shaft. (ans.: 990 N)

As you see, I have the answer given to me, but I do not quite get the working out. Can somebody please help me out? :(

Homework Equations

τ = µ*du/dy
τ = F/A = Shear Stress
du/dy: is the velocity change divided by the distance over which the change
occurs, i.e., velocity gradient
u: is the fluid velocity parallel to the applied force
μ: is the dynamic viscosity coefficient or more simply the viscosity of the fluid
y: is the transverse distance normal to the shear force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found µ (the dynamic viscosity coefficient) to come up to be 4.5kg/(ms).

Then I went on to find τ (Shear Stress) to be 7.2

And this is basically where I get stuck. Once again, I have no idea if I am on the correct path as this is my first time doing this kind of question =/

Physics news on Phys.org
karius said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new here, and long story short, I'm struggling a bit on a fluid mechanics question I've been doing for some revision.

A shaft 70 mm in diameter is being pushed at a speed of 400 mm/s through a bearing sleeve
70.2 mm in diameter and 250 mm long. The clearance, assumed uniform, is filled with oil
with kinematic viscosity ν = 0.005 m^2/s and density ρ = 900 kg/m^3. Find the force exerted by the oil on the shaft. (ans.: 990 N)

As you see, I have the answer given to me, but I do not quite get the working out. Can somebody please help me out? :(

Homework Equations

τ = µ*du/dy
τ = F/A = Shear Stress
du/dy: is the velocity change divided by the distance over which the change
occurs, i.e., velocity gradient
u: is the fluid velocity parallel to the applied force
μ: is the dynamic viscosity coefficient or more simply the viscosity of the fluid
y: is the transverse distance normal to the shear force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found µ (the dynamic viscosity coefficient) to come up to be 4.5kg/(ms).

Then I went on to find τ (Shear Stress) to be 7.2

And this is basically where I get stuck. Once again, I have no idea if I am on the correct path as this is my first time doing this kind of question =/

What did you get for the shear rate? I got 4000/sec. The shear stress is equal to the viscosity times the shear rate. That would give me a shear stress of 18000 Pa. What is surface the area over which this shear stress is acting?

What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is a property of fluids that determines how easily they can be poured or how easily they can flow.

How is viscosity measured?

Viscosity is typically measured using a viscometer, which is an instrument that measures the time it takes for a fluid to flow through a small opening. The longer it takes for the fluid to flow, the higher the viscosity.

What factors affect the viscosity of a fluid?

The viscosity of a fluid is affected by temperature, pressure, and the type of fluid. As temperature increases, viscosity decreases. As pressure increases, viscosity also increases. Different types of fluids, such as liquids and gases, also have different viscosities.

Why is viscosity important in fluid mechanics?

Viscosity is important in fluid mechanics because it affects the way fluids behave in various situations. For example, high viscosity fluids will flow slower and exert more resistance, while low viscosity fluids will flow faster and exert less resistance. Viscosity also plays a role in areas such as fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and lubrication.

How can viscosity be changed or controlled?

Viscosity can be changed or controlled by altering the temperature, pressure, or composition of a fluid. For example, heating a liquid can decrease its viscosity, while adding pressure to a gas can increase its viscosity. Additionally, using additives can also change the viscosity of a fluid.