Is AIDS really a death sentence?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary: This conversation is about HIV/AIDS and Magic Johnson. Magic Johnson has been living with HIV for over 25 years and is still alive. However, it is not a death sentence as there are medications available that can prolong life.
Kutt
Is HIV/AIDS really a death sentence? I mean a 100% guaranteed fatality rate? Basketball player Magic Johnson has been living with the disease for over 25 years.

Is it at least theoretically possible to survive this disease with rigorous treatment?

Biology news on Phys.org
Define "survive". And you have a death sentence since you were born, so I think the only way of correctly discussing these things is in the terms of life expectancy.

I don't know exact numbers, but from what I remember there was one (or perhaps a few?) cases of people that defeated AIDS (that is, they no longer test positive). Those that test positive and are treated do live quite long - but I don't know if their life expectancy is identical to their peers. I strongly doubt, as there are no medications without side effects.

Borek said:
Define "survive". And you have a death sentence since you were born, so I think the only way of correctly discussing these things is in the terms of life expectancy.

I don't know exact numbers, but from what I remember there was one (or perhaps a few?) cases of people that defeated AIDS (that is, they no longer test positive). Those that test positive and are treated do live quite long - but I don't know if their life expectancy is identical to their peers. I strongly doubt, as there are no medications without side effects.

Famous basketball player "magic johnson" has had HIV for over 25 years. But then again he is worth over $200,000,000 dollars and can afford the best treatment possible. He has had an innumerable amount of blood transfusions.

Kutt said:
He has had an innumerable amount of blood transfusions.

It is not that easy, there are plenty of antigens, and with each next transfusion it is more difficult to find a suitable donor (or at least that's what I was told on many occasions by a friend of mine who works as a "blood analytician" (whatever it is called in English) in one of Warsaw hospitals). So while I am not saying he hadn't many, I would not exaggerate the procedure.

No, it isn't a death sentence. I work in a place where prevalance was 50% (simply saying, if I don't have it, the other guy has). It was one of the highest prevalance rate in the whole world. With Antiretrovirals and food, this guys life expectancy is at per with the rest of the population.
In children, it is a different story though. Early initiation of ARV and correcting/preventing malnutrition (which is rife) is at least mitigating the sitation.

boit said:
No, it isn't a death sentence. I work in a place where prevalance was 50% (simply saying, if I don't have it, the other guy has). It was one of the highest prevalance rate in the whole world. With Antiretrovirals and food, this guys life expectancy is at per with the rest of the population.
In children, it is a different story though. Early initiation of ARV and correcting/preventing malnutrition (which is rife) is at least mitigating the sitation.

I assume that this is someplace in Africa?

Kutt said:
I assume that this is someplace in Africa?

Correct.

1. What is AIDS?

AIDS stands for Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, which is a chronic and potentially life-threatening condition caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). HIV attacks the immune system, making it difficult for the body to fight off infections and diseases.

2. Is AIDS curable?

Currently, there is no cure for AIDS. However, with early detection and proper treatment, people living with HIV can manage their condition and live long, healthy lives.

3. Can someone with AIDS live a normal life?

Yes, with proper treatment and care, people living with AIDS can live relatively normal lives. Treatment includes antiretroviral therapy (ART), which helps to suppress the virus and keep the immune system healthy.

4. Is AIDS a death sentence?

No, AIDS is not a death sentence. While it is a serious and life-threatening condition, with proper treatment and care, people living with AIDS can manage their condition and live long, healthy lives.

5. How can someone prevent getting AIDS?

The most effective way to prevent HIV and AIDS is to practice safe behaviors such as using condoms during sexual activity, avoiding sharing needles or other drug equipment, and getting tested regularly. Educating yourself and others about HIV and AIDS can also help prevent its spread.