Research in Highschool: How to Prepare for Intel Science and Engineering Fair

In summary, the speaker is a high school student in India with a passion for physics and mathematics. They have completed grade 10 and have taken online courses from MIT opencourseware and Resnick halliday. They are planning to participate in science fairs and are seeking guidance on how to network with professors for potential project ideas. The speaker is advised to focus on offering their skills and assistance to professors rather than expecting help from them.
cooleinstein
I am a high school student in India . I love physics and mathematics . I have completed grade 10 this year . I learned physics and math from MIT opencourseware and Resnick halliday .
I completed the following courses ( with solving their problem sets and exam papers)
1. 8.01 mechanics
2. 8.02 EM
3. 18.01 Single variable calculus.

I am planning to participate in Intel Science and Engineering Fair 2013 . For this i first need to qualify as top performer in IRIS 2013. I am planning to do a project in physics .
I heard students work under guidance from professors in universties . As i this is my first time participating in science fairs , i need some guidance on how to proceed .

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to need to network and be aggressive and not restrict yourself to just physics. Knock on the doors of local physics/chem/engineering/bio professors.

Thanks for the reply , But can you elaborate on what i should do . How do i meet the professors ? , how to convince them to help me ? etc...

cooleinstein said:
how to convince them to help me ? etc...

I think that is the wrong way to look at it. Forget the notion that any of them are ever going to help you. Why would they do that? You need to think about how you can help them. What can you do for them? Some programming? Some lab work?

I am glad to hear about your interest and passion for physics and mathematics. It is commendable that you have taken the initiative to learn from prestigious institutions like MIT and have completed multiple courses in physics and math. This will definitely give you a strong foundation for your future endeavors in the field of science and engineering.

To prepare for the Intel Science and Engineering Fair, I would recommend the following steps:

1. Choose a topic that interests you: Since you have a passion for physics, it would be beneficial to choose a project related to this subject. Choose a topic that you are curious about and would like to explore further.

2. Research your topic: Once you have chosen a topic, start researching it in depth. Look for resources such as scientific journals, articles, and books to gain a better understanding of the topic and its current research.

3. Develop a hypothesis: Based on your research, develop a hypothesis that you would like to test through your project. This will help you stay focused and guide your experiments.

4. Seek guidance: As you mentioned, many students work under the guidance of professors at universities for their science fair projects. It would be beneficial for you to reach out to a professor in your area of interest and seek their guidance. They can provide valuable insights and help you refine your project.

5. Plan and conduct experiments: Once you have a clear idea of your project, plan and conduct experiments to test your hypothesis. Keep detailed records of your experiments and results.

6. Analyze and interpret data: After conducting your experiments, analyze and interpret the data to draw conclusions. This will help you support or reject your hypothesis.

7. Create a project display: A well-designed project display is crucial for presenting your project at a science fair. Make sure to include all the necessary components such as your hypothesis, methods, results, and conclusions.

8. Practice and prepare: Before the science fair, practice presenting your project to friends and family. This will help you gain confidence and improve your presentation skills.

I wish you the best of luck for your participation in the Intel Science and Engineering Fair. With your passion and dedication, I am sure you will excel in your project and make a valuable contribution to the field of science.

1. What is the Intel Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF)?

The Intel Science and Engineering Fair is the world's largest pre-college science competition, bringing together high school students from around the world to showcase their research projects and compete for awards and scholarships.

2. How can I get started with research in high school?

One of the best ways to get started with research in high school is to find a mentor who can guide you through the process. This could be a teacher, a scientist, or someone in a related field who can provide guidance and support.

3. What are some tips for choosing a research project for ISEF?

When choosing a research project for ISEF, it's important to find a topic that you are passionate about and that has the potential to make a significant impact. You should also consider the resources and equipment that will be needed for your project and make sure that they are accessible to you.

4. What are the key components of a successful ISEF research project?

A successful ISEF research project should have a clear question or problem to be solved, a well-designed experiment or study, and a thorough analysis of the results. It should also include a detailed research plan, a well-written abstract, and a professional presentation of the findings.

5. How can I prepare for the Intel Science and Engineering Fair?

To prepare for the Intel Science and Engineering Fair, it's important to start early and give yourself plenty of time to complete your research project. You should also familiarize yourself with the rules and guidelines of ISEF, attend workshops and seminars, and practice your presentation skills. It's also helpful to network with other students and professionals in the field to gain insights and feedback on your project.