Multiplication precedes Negation

In summary, the conversation discusses the precedence of the unary operator (-) and how it relates to multiplication and division. The participants also touch on the difference between a number and a quantity, and the concept of value as a computed or assigned number or quantity. The main point is that while there may be different opinions on precedence, it ultimately does not affect the end result.
Atran
Hi,

Example 1.2.1. We have −3 × 4 − 5 + (−3) = −(3 × 4) − 5 + (−3) = −12 − 5 − 3 = −20. Note that we have recognized that 3 × 4 takes precedence over the − signs.
Does the author mean that [itex]−3 × 4 = 0 − 3 × 4 = −(3 × 4)[/itex] or else?

I consider the minus-sign to be a unary operator, which is preceded by multiplication and division. Am I thinking right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It won't matter if you, with the unary operator of negation choose to regard -3*4 as (-3)*4 or as -(3*4). That is, the order of the unary operator and multiplication need not be formally agreed upon.

I think it is safe to assume that a unary operator without parentheses is meant to bind more tightly than any operator near it. So unary negation you may assume applies to the term directly in front of it.

When he says precedence over the minus signs he's referring to doing the 3*4 calculation before the -5 +(-3) calculation. As arildno says it doesn't matter whether you calculate (-3)*4 or -(3*4) as those are the same thing

verty said:
I think it is safe to assume that a unary operator without parentheses is meant to bind more tightly than any operator near it. So unary negation you may assume applies to the term directly in front of it.
That is my gut feeling as well, but since the unary negation -x always can be replaced with the binary operator (-1)*x, it cannot possibly matter multiplicationwise whatever you choose to read it as.

Atran said:
I consider the minus-sign to be a unary operator, which is preceded by multiplication and division. Am I thinking right?
There is no consensus on the precedence of the unary + and - versus multiplication/division. Some place it higher (but almost always lower than exponentiation), others lower (and at the same level as addition and subtraction). It doesn't matter for the kinds of numbers with which you are accustomed. The end result will be the same regardless of whether you treat unary minus as being higher or lower than multiplication.

The really fun thing about the negation, though, is how it can jump over a bundle of factors to find one to its liking, even take a step down to the denominator if it wants to, and then rush back again, or stay put. It doesn't matter.

(It should not push its luck down a continued fraction, though...)

Thank you for your response. I'm thinking to stick with the precedence level above that of multiplication.

Instead of starting a new thread: I consider a value to be a computed or assigned number or quantity. What's the difference between number and quantity? What exactly are number, quantity and value?

Thanks for help.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "Multiplication precedes Negation"?

The concept of "Multiplication precedes Negation" refers to the mathematical rule that multiplication operations should be performed before negation (or subtraction) operations when solving an equation or expression. This rule follows the order of operations, which prioritizes multiplication/division over addition/subtraction.

2. Why is it important to follow the rule of "Multiplication precedes Negation"?

Following the rule of "Multiplication precedes Negation" ensures that equations and expressions are solved correctly and consistently. Without this rule, there could be ambiguity and confusion in mathematical calculations, leading to incorrect results.

3. Can the rule of "Multiplication precedes Negation" be applied to all mathematical operations?

No, the rule of "Multiplication precedes Negation" only applies to multiplication and negation (subtraction) operations. It does not apply to addition or division operations, which follow their own respective rules of operation.

4. How does the rule of "Multiplication precedes Negation" relate to the distributive property?

The rule of "Multiplication precedes Negation" is related to the distributive property, which states that multiplying a number by a sum or difference is the same as multiplying the number by each addend or subtrahend separately. This property reinforces the rule of performing multiplication before negation, as the multiplication would be distributed to each term before the negation is applied.

5. Are there exceptions to the rule of "Multiplication precedes Negation"?

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule, particularly when parentheses are present in an equation or expression. In this case, the operations within the parentheses should be performed first, regardless of whether they involve multiplication or negation. Additionally, when there is a negation within parentheses, it should be applied first before any multiplication outside of the parentheses is performed.