Microbes and Gene Swapping - How Common Is This?

• Thread starter Patzee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gene
In summary, this article discusses how bacteria-animal lateral gene transfer may play a role in the development of diseases like cancer.
Patzee
Microbes and Gene Swapping -- How Common Is This?

The article Sub-zero heroes: extremophiles call salty Antarctic lakes home reporting about:

"The halophilic (Greek for “salt-loving”) extremophiles in Deep Lake belong to a group of microbes called haloarchaea. Due to much higher rates of gene-swapping – or promiscuity – than normally observed in the natural world, many species in Deep Lake are able to benefit from the genes of others."​

has prompted my question.

I've read about gene swapping before, but I'm wondering how common is gene swapping? Does it just occur in specific types of microbes? Does it occur in plants and animals? Is this a mechanism that also affects DNA in plants and animals? I've been reading articles lately that relate changes in DNA to lifestyle, environment, etc., so I'm wondering if this is microbe driven or due to gene swapping?

Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
"Gene-swapping" or rather horizontal gene transfer is quite a wide field of science: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_gene_transfer
It was very important many times in evolution, currently prokaryotes do it all the time, e.g. to transfer drug resistance ... but there also many documented cases in eucaryote, e.g. regarding GMOs ...

Thanks, jarekd.

Ah, so the terminology is "Horizontal Gene Transfer". Thanks for the excellent link and sending me in right direction! Looks like a lot of transferring has been going on, ha, ha. Yes, I've read a lot about GMOs, of course, but didn't know much about natural gene swapping, aka (now using a more appropriate term) horizontal gene transfer.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my inquiry. Very kind of you.

That is extremely common. That's why bacteria are the fastest evolving organisms known to man.

Thanks, Superposed_Cat.

This brings to mind the PBS special that recently aired about the growing problem of drug resistant bacteria and at the same time pointing out that Pfizer is yet another major drug company that was stopping research and development of new traditional types of antibiotics. The program special seemed to indicate that the struggle against harmful bacteria was now switching to techniques that would directly alter the DNA of bacteria so as to circumvent the entire drug resistance process. I guess they are essentially using bacteria's own propensity to horizontally transfer genes as a way to control them.

Again, thank you.

Likes 1 person
Likes 1 person

1. What are microbes and gene swapping?

Microbes are tiny organisms that are too small to be seen with the naked eye. They can include bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa. Gene swapping, also known as horizontal gene transfer, is the process by which microbes transfer genetic material between each other.

2. How do microbes swap genes?

Microbes can swap genes through a variety of methods, including conjugation, transformation, and transduction. These processes involve the transfer of genetic material through direct contact, uptake of DNA from the environment, or transfer by a virus, respectively.

3. How common is gene swapping among microbes?

Gene swapping is very common among microbes, especially bacteria. In fact, it is one of the main ways in which bacteria can acquire new genetic material and increase their genetic diversity. Some estimates suggest that up to 80% of bacteria have genes that were acquired through gene swapping.

4. What are the benefits of gene swapping for microbes?

Gene swapping allows microbes to acquire new traits and capabilities that they may not have had before. This can help them adapt to changing environments and improve their chances of survival. It also allows for the spread of antibiotic resistance genes, which can be harmful to humans.

5. How does gene swapping impact human health?

The impact of gene swapping on human health can be both positive and negative. On one hand, it allows for the spread of antibiotic resistance genes, making it harder to treat bacterial infections. On the other hand, it also allows for the transfer of beneficial traits, such as the ability to break down environmental pollutants. Research is ongoing to better understand the implications of gene swapping on human health.