DIY Hand Held Generator: How to Make Your Own Small Power Source

• Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, the conversation is about creating a hand-held generator using a motor and a gear train or pulley system. The goal is to generate enough current to power a small device, such as a radio. The speaker suggests visiting a hobby shop to find the necessary parts and also recommends searching for DIY hand crank generators online. They also discuss the importance of finding the right gear ratio to achieve the desired power output.
biferi
I wanted to know if there is any Kits out there or how I can make a Hand Held Genarator?

I am a P.C. Repair Tech and I know a little bit about Elecric.
And I thought it would be a nice little project.

I know if you take a Motor and attach a Handle to the Shaft and turn it you are turning the Megnit in the Coil and you will get a small amount of Current.

So I thought about making a small GEN. that say you turn for 30 SEC. and you can power a Radio.

Can anyone help with this project?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most hobby motors can do this; it's just getting them to turn fast enough to generate useable amounts of current that is tough. That's why you'll often see them with some sort of gear train on them to increase the speed of the motor/generator.

Can't think of any gear drive kits off the top of my head, but a visit to a hobby shop will likely turn up the needed parts: Small motor, gear drive (50:1 comes to mind, IDK why), some sort of mounting frame.

Please use Google search using these terms: "hand crank generator". You will find many types, some are do-it-yourself projects.

Thanks for all the help but when you say get a gear train is this what it will do?

I will connect the gear train to my Motors Shaft so when I make One Turn it will say turn the Motors Shaft say 5 Times?

Am I right?

Yes.
Now that I think about it, a pulley system could work too, if it's tight enough.Either way, the hobby motor is attached to the small wheel/gear, and you put the crank on the big wheel/gear. Crank the big wheel/gear, and the little one spins much faster, which is what you need to make an effective generator.

Thank you for getting back to me and yes I am looking for Hobby Stores.

Now just say I have a DC Motor Rated at say 12 Volts.
To get the Motor to make Electricity I have to turn the Saft fast.

But how many turns sould I try to get?

This way I will know what kind of DGear Train to get.

Depends on how much power you want it to create. The faster the generator spins, the higher the voltage and current are.

Get one of the kits that allows you to mix and match different gears. Tinker around until you get what you want.

1. Can I use any materials to make a DIY hand held generator?

Yes, you can use a variety of materials such as magnets, copper wire, and a plastic or wooden base for the generator. However, it is important to ensure that the materials are conductive and can create a magnetic field.

2. How much power can a DIY hand held generator produce?

The amount of power produced by a DIY hand held generator depends on the size and quality of the materials used. Generally, these generators can produce enough power to charge small electronic devices or power LED lights.

3. Do I need any special tools or skills to make a DIY hand held generator?

No, you do not need any special tools or skills to make a DIY hand held generator. Basic tools such as pliers, wire cutters, and a drill may be helpful, but they are not necessary. This project can be completed by anyone with basic knowledge of electrical circuits.

4. Can a DIY hand held generator be used as a renewable energy source?

Yes, a DIY hand held generator can be used as a renewable energy source. By using renewable materials such as a solar panel or wind turbine to power the generator, it can continuously produce electricity without relying on traditional fossil fuels.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a DIY hand held generator?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when making a DIY hand held generator. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling materials. Additionally, be cautious of any sharp edges or hot surfaces when assembling the generator.