Register to reply

Hand held Genarator

by biferi
Tags: genarator, hand
Share this thread:
biferi
Nov15-13, 07:54 PM
P: 193
I wanted to know if there is any Kits out there or how I can make a Hand Held Genarator?

I am a P.C. Repair Tech and I know a little bit about Elecric.
And I thought it would be a nice little project.

I know if you take a Motor and attach a Handle to the Shaft and turn it you are turning the Megnit in the Coil and you will get a small amount of Current.

So I thought about making a small GEN. that say you turn for 30 SEC. and you can power a Radio.

Can anyone help with this project?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
Flyboy
Nov15-13, 08:26 PM
P: 31
Most hobby motors can do this; it's just getting them to turn fast enough to generate useable amounts of current that is tough. That's why you'll often see them with some sort of gear train on them to increase the speed of the motor/generator.

Can't think of any gear drive kits off the top of my head, but a visit to a hobby shop will likely turn up the needed parts: Small motor, gear drive (50:1 comes to mind, IDK why), some sort of mounting frame.
Bobbywhy
Nov15-13, 10:43 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,909
Please use Google search using these terms: "hand crank generator". You will find many types, some are do-it-yourself projects.

biferi
Nov16-13, 07:45 PM
Hand held Genarator

Thanks for all the help but when you say get a gear train is this what it will do?

I will connect the gear train to my Motors Shaft so when I make One Turn it will say turn the Motors Shaft say 5 Times?

Am I right?
Flyboy
Nov17-13, 12:35 AM
Yes.
Now that I think about it, a pulley system could work too, if it's tight enough.

Either way, the hobby motor is attached to the small wheel/gear, and you put the crank on the big wheel/gear. Crank the big wheel/gear, and the little one spins much faster, which is what you need to make an effective generator.
biferi
Nov17-13, 02:56 PM
Thank you for getting back to me and yes I am looking for Hobby Stores.

Now just say I have a DC Motor Rated at say 12 Volts.
To get the Motor to make Electricity I have to turn the Saft fast.

But how many turns sould I try to get?

This way I will know what kind of DGear Train to get.
Flyboy
Nov17-13, 08:07 PM
Depends on how much power you want it to create. The faster the generator spins, the higher the voltage and current are.

Get one of the kits that allows you to mix and match different gears. Tinker around until you get what you want.

Register to reply