Which side of a wireless repeater to connect to?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of a desktop connected to a Linksys E2500 router with DD-WRT installed, acting as a repeater for internet access. The question is raised about whether it would be better for wireless devices to connect to the E2500 or directly to the gateway. The E2500 has a stronger signal in most of the house, but using two NAT services may cause problems for certain activities. It is concluded that for regular network use, it should not make a significant difference which router the devices connect to.
NeoDevin
Ok, so I have my desktop connected to my Linksys E2500 router with DD-WRT installed, and the router acting as a repeater to get my desktop on the internet (see my previous thread).

Now I'm just wondering whether it would be better to have my wireless devices connect to the E2500, or directly to the gateway? The E2500 has a stronger signal through most of the house (more central location, and ?maybe? better radio). I don't know if the E2500 would create a bottleneck though?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Unless you require access to the computers from the internet, it shouldn't make any significant difference which router your wireless devices connect to. Having two NAT services running will cause problems for P2P file sharing solutions like torrents and perhaps online gaming but out side of that, for regular network use, I do not think there will be any difference.

1. What is a wireless repeater and why would I need to connect to it?

A wireless repeater is a device that extends the range of a wireless network by repeating the signal from a wireless router. You may need to connect to a wireless repeater if you have a large home or office space and are experiencing weak or spotty Wi-Fi coverage in certain areas.

2. What are the different sides of a wireless repeater that I can connect to?

There are typically two sides of a wireless repeater - the client side and the access point side. The client side is where you connect your devices that need Wi-Fi access, while the access point side connects to your existing wireless router.

3. Which side of a wireless repeater should I connect to?

The side you should connect to depends on your specific needs. If you want to extend the range of your existing Wi-Fi network, you should connect to the access point side. If you want to improve the Wi-Fi coverage in a specific area, you should connect to the client side.

4. How do I know which side of a wireless repeater to connect to?

You can refer to the user manual of your wireless repeater for specific instructions on which side to connect to. You can also consult with a technical expert or refer to online forums for guidance.

5. Can I connect to both sides of a wireless repeater simultaneously?

No, you cannot connect to both sides of a wireless repeater at the same time. The device is designed to function as either a client or an access point, not both simultaneously.