Troubleshooting Experimental Results: Measuring g with Gedanken Experiments

• Thread starter Einshteinlover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation revolves around a PhD student who is facing challenges in obtaining empirical results for their thesis due to lack of access to a lab. They have attempted a gedanken experiment to measure the value of g, but their results are inconsistent and not accurate. They are seeking help and clarification on their experiment and methods. Some members question the validity of the experiment and suggest using more precise methods. The conversation ends with the request for more information to provide proper guidance.
Einshteinlover
Hey Everybody,

I have only posted here a few times before, so if you need some context, please look at my past posts. Basically, I don't have access to a lab right now (long story there) and I have a thesis which depends on empirical results. Normally I would have thrown in the towel, but graduating is really important to me and so I thought I would try my hand at obtaining my results through gedanken experiments. To start simple I tried to measure the value of g. I imagined dropping a lead ball from a height of 1 meter to the ground (in a vacuum of course) and timing the fall using the formula \begin{equation}g=\frac{2h}{t^{2}}\end{equation}. So far so good, but I am not obtaining results consistent with other experiments. I ran 3 trials and obtained times of .567 seconds .217 seconds and 1.21 seconds (all results to within .001s). Neglecting the lack of precision, my results are hardly accurate :( and I'm at a loss as to what could be happening. RIght now I am using a stopwatch timer (which I admit is not very accurate), but I don't see where the error comes from! Please help, I can answer any questions about my experiments!

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you have experimental results in a thought experiment?

How are you starting and stopping the timing? You really need an electronic stop and start if you don't already have them. You can't expect any useful results timing by eye.

Edit... oh, it's a thought experiment. In that case, I don't understand any of this.

Einshteinlover said:
if you need some context, please look at my past posts.

According to one of those posts, you're a third-year Ph.D. student, at least of last August, which makes the purpose of the experiment you described rather puzzling, especially if you need it in order to "graduate."

This is a kind of question I'd expect from a high school student, not a third year PhD... something is seriously out of place here.

Do you have a (bachelors) degree in Physics already?

High school students measure g by free fall methods using timing methods described by tfr000 in post three. If all you have is a stop watch you can get reasonble results from pendulum type experiments.

Last edited:
Why don't you just think about better results?

I would think of getting 1.11 s - that would mean I am on the Moon, which would nicely coincide with the vacuum.

Likes 1 person
Maybe your gedank stopwatch is broke

If there is a real experiment behind this problem, we'll need more information to be able to say anything.
In the gedankenexperiment, if your timing is so wrong the method (here: manual operation of a stopwatch) simply does not work.

Likes 1 person
You said you imagined dropping the lead ball. How do you get actual numbers from an imagination?

1. What is a Gedanken Experiment?

A Gedanken experiment, also known as a thought experiment, is a mental exercise that allows scientists to explore and test hypotheses without physically carrying out the experiment.

2. What is the purpose of using Gedanken Experiments in scientific research?

Gedanken experiments allow scientists to test the validity of their theories and predictions without the limitations and complexities of real-world experiments. They also help scientists to think critically and creatively about their research and potential outcomes.

3. How can Gedanken Experiments be used to measure g?

Gedanken experiments can be used to measure g by using the laws of physics and logic to create hypothetical scenarios that mimic the effects of gravity. By analyzing the outcomes of these thought experiments, scientists can determine the value of g.

4. What are the benefits of using Gedanken Experiments to troubleshoot experimental results?

Gedanken experiments allow scientists to identify and address potential issues or errors in their experimental setup without having to repeat the entire experiment. This saves time and resources and allows for a more efficient troubleshooting process.

5. Are Gedanken Experiments considered a reliable method for scientific research?

While Gedanken experiments cannot replace real-world experiments, they are a valuable tool for scientific research and have been used by many notable scientists throughout history. However, like any other method, they are not infallible and should be used in conjunction with other research techniques for the most accurate results.