How can I determine the weight of DNA in my sample for genomic extraction?

• Thread starter hivesaeed4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dna
In summary, the individual is having trouble with the protocol for extracting genomic DNA from cells. They are unsure how to determine the weight of DNA beforehand and are unable to count cells. The suggested solution is to purchase a DNA quantitation assay kit, which is affordable and simple to use. If the sample is out of the linear range, it can be diluted and the number of dilutions can be used to calculate the amount of DNA in the main sample.
hivesaeed4
This is my first time isolating the whole genomic DNA from cells. I have two cell line HeLa and Human fibroblasts (almost fully confluent T-25 flasks). The problem is that the protocol which is to be followed for genomic dna extraction is only suitable for DNA solutions less than or equal to 1mg/ml (according to the instructions). How do I determine the weight of DNA that I have beforehand? I'm confused on that point. (Note I can't count cells either).

Biology news on Phys.org

What is the purpose of isolating whole genomic DNA?

The purpose of isolating whole genomic DNA is to obtain a pure sample of the entire genetic material of an organism. This allows for further analysis and identification of specific genes and their functions.

What are the steps involved in isolating whole genomic DNA?

The steps involved in isolating whole genomic DNA typically include cell lysis to release the DNA, removal of proteins and other contaminants, and purification of the DNA using various techniques such as centrifugation, precipitation, and chromatography.

What are some common methods used for isolating whole genomic DNA?

Some common methods used for isolating whole genomic DNA include phenol-chloroform extraction, silica-based purification, and magnetic bead-based purification. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific needs of the experiment.

How long does the process of isolating whole genomic DNA take?

The time required for isolating whole genomic DNA can vary depending on the specific method used and the type of sample being used. In general, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day to complete the process.

What are some factors that can affect the quality and yield of isolated whole genomic DNA?

The quality and yield of isolated whole genomic DNA can be affected by factors such as the type of tissue or sample used, the method of extraction, the efficiency of cell lysis, and the presence of contaminants such as proteins and RNA. It is important to optimize these factors in order to obtain a high-quality and pure sample of genomic DNA.