What defines a point in space?

In summary: My bad.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a point in space and whether there is a limit to how small the distance between two points can be. It is explained that a point is an abstract concept with no physical extent, and there is no absolute position in space. The idea of the Planck length as the smallest possible distance is mentioned, but it is clarified that this is currently only a theoretical concept and may not be the actual smallest distance. Ultimately, the question of how many unique points exist between two points on a line remains open and has different answers depending on the perspective taken.
Chase
As far as I know a point in space is shown by it's t,x,y and z coordinates? Anyway it isn't so much how it's defined that I'm interested in, it's more about what a point of space is.

Let's say we took a 1cm^2 region of space, how many unique points of space does this region have? What distinguishes one point in space to another point? Is there a fundamental limit as to how small the distance can be from point a to point b?

I heard Planck length being thrown around a bit but I don't really understand it, is this the smallest physical distance that can exist or just the smallest physical distance we can measure? Basically what I want to know is if you take two points on a straight line, how many unique points exist between them?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The term "point" refers to a dimensionless quantity, so it is not meaningful to ask how many you can get in a shoebox.

Point in space is defined only to the extent you can reference it to some relatively fixed coordinates. Something centered on the Earth, for example, would be constantly changing position, so you would have to say "a point relative to the Earth" in some way. That is, there is no absolute position in space, only positions relative to something else.

Chase said:
Basically what I want to know is if you take two points on a straight line, how many unique points exist between them?

A point is actually a rather abstract concept, since mathematically it has no extent.
So the answer to your question depends on if you ask from a mathematical point of view, or a physical, so:
Mathematically: There are infinitely many points between two points.
Physics: I can't say the question makes any sense to me, since we do not know (yet) if there is any smallest fundamental unit of length.

Last edited:
To add to what Dennis said, you may have heard that the Plank length is the smallest length possible, but that's not known. What is surmised is that the Plank length is the smallest we will ever be able to MEASURE, even theoretically. We are currently something like 15 or 20 orders of magnitude away from being able to measure a Plank length in practice.

There are infinitive points between point A and B on a line. Planck length is 1.616199×10^−35 meters, it's just a unit of measure. But, Dennis is right we don't currently know the smallest fundamental unit of length. I'm honestly not sure if we ever will. But, to answer your question the answer is infinitive, but you can also argue Planck length if you want.

adianamonet said:
There are infinitive points between point A and B on a line. Planck length is 1.616199×10^−35 meters, it's just a unit of measure. But, Dennis is right we don't currently know the smallest fundamental unit of length. I'm honestly not sure if we ever will. But, to answer your question the answer is infinitive, but you can also argue Planck length if you want.

It doesn't seem accurate to just say "if I want..." What I want is irrelevant, I just wanted to know what science says it is. I think I got my answer though.

It's all still a debate. Some people say infinitive and others use Planck length. But the "more scientific" answer is infinitive.

adianamonet said:
It's all still a debate. Some people say infinitive and others use Planck length. But the "more scientific" answer is infinitive.

No, you misunderstand. It is not a debate. The Plank length has nothing to do with this question and was brought in by the OP through a misunderstanding.

And by the way, "infinitive" is a term describing a grammatical form and has nothing to do with math. You want either infinite (the big one) or infinitesimal (the small one)

Oh ok, sorry about that. Yeah I misunderstood your question.

1. What is a point in space?

A point in space is a location that has no length, width, or height. It is considered to be infinitely small and is often represented by a dot or a cross.

2. How is a point in space different from other objects?

A point in space is different from other objects because it has no physical dimensions. It does not have a size or shape, and it cannot be measured or observed directly.

3. Can a point in space be defined by coordinates?

Yes, a point in space can be defined by coordinates, such as its location on a graph or its latitude and longitude on a map. However, these coordinates do not fully describe the point's properties or characteristics.

4. Is a point in space the same as a particle or an atom?

No, a point in space is not the same as a particle or an atom. While a particle or an atom can also be considered to have no physical dimensions, they still have mass and can interact with other objects. A point in space, on the other hand, has no mass and cannot interact with anything.

5. Can a point in space be physically located?

No, a point in space cannot be physically located. It does not exist in the physical world, but rather it is a mathematical concept used to represent a location in space. It is a theoretical concept that helps us understand and describe the world around us.