Exchange symmetry when isospin is concerned?

In summary: So, the wavefunction of the proton-neutron system needs to be antisymmetric under exchange. Therefore, in summary, the wavefunction of a proton-neutron system, which includes the space, spin, and isospin components, needs to be antisymmetric under exchange of the two particles. This is because under isospin symmetry, the neutron and proton are treated as identical fermions. Without isospin symmetry, this antisymmetry is not necessary.
Silversonic
As far as I know identical fermions are antisymmetric under exchange. Identical bosons are symmetric under exchange. Is this fact blurred when we consider isospin? Considering the wavefunction of a proton-neutron system;

[itex] \psi = \psi_{space} \psi_{spin} \psi_{isospin} [/itex]

I'm told this needs to be antisymmetric under exchange of the proton and neutron, but they are not identical fermions. Does it need to be antisymmetric because we consider isospin which does view the proton and neutron as identical fermions?

Physics news on Phys.org
neutron and proton are fermions, so their wf has to be antisymmetric...

I thought that only applied to identical fermions? Guess I was wrong.

Silversonic said:
As far as I know identical fermions are antisymmetric under exchange. Identical bosons are symmetric under exchange. Is this fact blurred when we consider isospin? Considering the wavefunction of a proton-neutron system;

[itex] \psi = \psi_{space} \psi_{spin} \psi_{isospin} [/itex]

I'm told this needs to be antisymmetric under exchange of the proton and neutron, but they are not identical fermions. Does it need to be antisymmetric because we consider isospin which does view the proton and neutron as identical fermions?
Isospin is an optional convention. You can treat protons and neutrons as different fermions, in which case the wavefunction does not need to be antisymmetrized. Or, you can treat them as identical, with an extra degree of freedom whose symmetry is used to make the overall wavefunction antisymmetric.

From the point of view of the strong force the proton and neutron are identical. They interact with the strong force identically and can be converted into each other easily (through the weak interaction). If any of those two statements weren't true there would be little sense in treating them as identical. Note that this treatment is inexact. Protons and neutrons have different masses and charges and the conversion between them requires the production of leptons.

Likes 1 person
Apologies for the necro-bump but I want to make sure I've got this correct as I'm coming back to it.

So is the antisymmetry of total wavefunction under exchange of two general fermions definitely not thing? It's definitely only for two identical fermions, e.g. two protons, or a neutron/proton when considering isospin?

See post #4 above. Answer hasn't changed.

Likes 1 person
Silversonic said:
Apologies for the necro-bump but I want to make sure I've got this correct as I'm coming back to it.

So is the antisymmetry of total wavefunction under exchange of two general fermions definitely not thing? It's definitely only for two identical fermions, e.g. two protons, or a neutron/proton when considering isospin?

Yes, you only need to take care of symmetry/anti-symmetry when the two particles are identical. In the case of the (approximate) isospin symmetry, neutron and proton are (approximately) identical.

1. What is exchange symmetry in relation to isospin?

Exchange symmetry, also known as permutation symmetry, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the physical properties of a system should not change when identical particles are exchanged.

2. What role does isospin play in exchange symmetry?

Isospin is a quantum number that describes the strong interaction between particles, specifically protons and neutrons. It is closely related to charge symmetry and has the same mathematical properties as spin, making it an important factor in exchange symmetry.

3. How is exchange symmetry violated in isospin?

In some interactions, such as the decay of certain particles, the exchange symmetry may be violated. This means that the properties of the system do change when identical particles are exchanged, and this violation can be observed through experiments.

4. How does exchange symmetry affect the conservation of isospin?

Exchange symmetry is closely related to the conservation laws of isospin. If the exchange symmetry is preserved in a system, then the total isospin is also conserved. However, if the symmetry is violated, then the total isospin may not be conserved.

5. What are some real-world applications of exchange symmetry in isospin?

Exchange symmetry is a fundamental principle that helps explain the behavior of subatomic particles. It has many practical applications, such as in nuclear physics, where it helps describe the interactions between protons and neutrons, and in particle accelerators, where it is used to understand the behavior of particles at high energies.