Monochromatic light vs Laser - Young's double slit

In summary, the distinguishing features between a 'monochromatic light source' and a laser lie in their spatial coherence. A laser, being more point-like, has a higher spatial coherence compared to a floodlight, which allows for a better interference pattern when using a double slit set up. The single slit is unnecessary when using a laser due to its high spatial coherence. Spatial coherence refers to the predictability of phase at different points in space, while temporal coherence refers to the predictability of phase at different times.
BOAS
Hello,

I have a quick question about the distinguishing features between a 'monochromatic light source' and a laser.

In my notes on wave optics, I have a diagram of monochromatic light being diffracted through a single slit, to produce a coherent wave formation that then hits a double slit. Since the waves 'created' by the double slit originated from the same wave, we can say they are in phase with one another.

In my lab script, it appears that the single slit is unnecessary when using a laser. It says that the nature of the light produced by the laser means that the two beams leaving both slits will be in phase.

What is the difference between these light sources that make the experimental set up different?

BOAS

Science news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
What is the difference between these light sources that make the experimental set up different?

The difference is spatial coherence (which is also what a double slit measures). The more point-like a light source is, the higher its spatial coherence will be.

Imagine comparing a nice laser and floodlight sent through a narrow spectral filter to make it more or less monochromatic. The floodlight has a huge surface area and light is coming from all of these points. This also means that the path difference between all of these points and the double slit differs strongly, which gives you a large spread in the relative phase of the light fields at the two slits of the double slit. In that case you will not be able to see a good interference pattern. The solution in that case is a narrow pinhole or slit that gives you an effective point-like source.

Cthugha said:
The difference is spatial coherence (which is also what a double slit measures). The more point-like a light source is, the higher its spatial coherence will be.

Imagine comparing a nice laser and floodlight sent through a narrow spectral filter to make it more or less monochromatic. The floodlight has a huge surface area and light is coming from all of these points. This also means that the path difference between all of these points and the double slit differs strongly, which gives you a large spread in the relative phase of the light fields at the two slits of the double slit. In that case you will not be able to see a good interference pattern. The solution in that case is a narrow pinhole or slit that gives you an effective point-like source.

Thanks for your answer

With regards to the monochromatic light source, I have written "The single slit produces a coherent wave, whose pattern does not shift in time or space, relative to a regular periodic motion" Is this a description of 'high spatial coherence'? (i'm not familiar with that term).

BOAS said:
[...]"The single slit produces a coherent wave, whose pattern does not shift in time or space, relative to a regular periodic motion" Is this a description of 'high spatial coherence'? (i'm not familiar with that term).

The "in space" is the spatial coherence part. The "in time" would give you temporal coherence. A slit gives you spatial coherence.

In a nutshell you can interpret spatial coherence as a measure of "If I know the phase of my light field at this point, how well can I predict the phase of the field at some other point at a distance".

Temporal coherence then does the same for two times.

Likes 1 person

Thank you for your question. The main difference between monochromatic light and a laser is the coherence of the light waves. Monochromatic light refers to light of a single wavelength or color, while a laser produces highly coherent light waves of a specific wavelength.

In terms of Young's double slit experiment, a monochromatic light source will produce a coherent wave pattern when diffracted through a single slit, but the waves passing through the double slit may not be in phase with each other. This is because the light waves from a monochromatic source are not perfectly in sync with each other.

On the other hand, a laser produces coherent light waves that are all in phase with each other. This means that the waves passing through the double slit will interfere constructively, creating a distinct pattern of light and dark fringes. The use of a single slit is not necessary in this case because the laser already produces a coherent beam.

Overall, the difference between a monochromatic light source and a laser lies in the coherence of the light waves they produce. This has important implications for experiments like Young's double slit, where the interference of light waves is a crucial factor. I hope this helps clarify the difference between these two light sources.

What is monochromatic light?

Monochromatic light is light that consists of only one wavelength or color. This means that all the photons in monochromatic light have the same energy.

What is a laser?

A laser is a device that produces a narrow, intense beam of monochromatic light. It stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

What is Young's double slit experiment?

Young's double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves shining a monochromatic light through two narrow slits and observing the interference pattern created on a screen behind the slits.

How does monochromatic light differ from laser light?

Monochromatic light is light that consists of only one wavelength or color, while laser light is a type of monochromatic light that is produced by a laser. Laser light is also highly coherent and has a much narrower beam compared to other sources of monochromatic light.

What are the practical applications of monochromatic light and laser light?

Monochromatic light and laser light have a wide range of applications in various fields such as scientific research, medicine, telecommunications, and manufacturing. They are used in devices such as barcode scanners, CD and DVD players, and laser printers. They are also essential in cutting and welding processes in industries.