Electric Drawer Opener: Choose Magnet, Find Current Strength

• Thread starter johann1301
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the conversation discusses different ideas for building a drawer that can be opened using an electric switch. The simplest and cheapest solution suggested is to attach a strong magnet on the back of the drawer and set up a wire with a high current running through it behind the drawer. The force on the drawer from the wire needs to be at least 20N, but the specific strength of the magnet and current needed is still uncertain. The question of whether the drawer should pop open or roll all the way out is also raised.
johann1301
Im planning to build a drawer which can be opened using an electric switch. I've thought of perhaps using a strong servo to push the drawer, hydraulics or an electromagnet. But i think the simplest and cheapest solution would be to attach a strong magnet on the back of the drawer, and setting up a wire with a high current running through it behind the drawer. This current is controlled by the electric switch. When the current is on there will be a magnetic force acting on the magnet, and thus on the drawer.

I know that the force on the drawer from the wire needs to be about 20N or more. Does anyone know how strong of a magnet i must buy, how high the current must be?

Engineering news on Phys.org
johann1301 said:
Im planning to build a drawer which can be opened using an electric switch. I've thought of perhaps using a strong servo to push the drawer, hydraulics or an electromagnet. But i think the simplest and cheapest solution would be to attach a strong magnet on the back of the drawer, and setting up a wire with a high current running through it behind the drawer. This current is controlled by the electric switch. When the current is on there will be a magnetic force acting on the magnet, and thus on the drawer.

I know that the force on the drawer from the wire needs to be about 20N or more. Does anyone know how strong of a magnet i must buy, how high the current must be?

What do you mean by "open the drawer"? Do you want it to just pop open by a few inches so you can pull it the rest of the way open? Or do you want it to roll all the way out like a CD player drawer?

If just popping open would work, you can use a spring for the last few inches of closing the drawer, and have an electric latch that releases the drawer so the spring pops open a bit.

If you want it to roll all the way out, I'd recommend using a setup like the CD payers use. Pushing a button causes the drawer to roll all the way out, and either pushing the button again or pushing the drawer a little makes it retract back in.

1. How does an electric drawer opener work?

An electric drawer opener works by using a magnet and current to create a magnetic force that pulls the drawer open. When the current is turned on, it flows through a wire coil that is attached to the drawer. This creates an electromagnetic field, which interacts with the magnet and causes it to move, opening the drawer.

2. What type of magnet should I use for an electric drawer opener?

The type of magnet you use for an electric drawer opener depends on the strength of the current and the weight of the drawer. Neodymium magnets are strong and can work with lower currents, while larger and heavier drawers may require ceramic or electromagnets.

3. How do I choose the right current strength for my electric drawer opener?

The current strength needed for an electric drawer opener depends on the weight and size of the drawer. Generally, a higher current will create a stronger magnetic force, but it is important to make sure the current is not too high as it can damage the magnet or other components.

4. Can I adjust the strength of the current for my electric drawer opener?

Yes, the strength of the current can be adjusted by using a variable power supply or a switch with different resistance options. This allows for fine-tuning of the magnetic force and can help prevent damage to the drawer or other components.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using an electric drawer opener?

Yes, it is important to handle electricity and magnets with caution. Make sure to use insulated wires and avoid touching any exposed wires or components while the current is on. It is also recommended to have a fuse or circuit breaker in case of any malfunctions or overloading of the current.