Reducing Downward Force of 900kg Soil Container

• Thread starter Calvin5767
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discussed various methods for reducing the downward force of a soil container weighing approximately 2000 pounds/900 kg. Suggestions included reducing the soil volume, changing the shape of the container, using lubricants or bearings, and constructing a sloping bottom or smaller door. The most effective solution proposed was to increase the bottom surface area of the container or decrease the height to maintain the same amount of soil.
Calvin5767
I am making a soil container of size 1meter x 1 meter x 0.60 meter or (3.2feet x 3.2 feet x 1.9 feet)
with soils in it, it weights approx 2000 pounds/900 kg.

I want to know, how can i reduce the downward force of that 900kg.
(the bottom of the container can be slide open, hence i need a lower downward force, so that its lighter to slide)

I found a way to do that by putting a beam on the middle of the container, is there a more effective way?

Thank you geniuses

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I am making a soil container of size 1meter x 1 meter x 0.60 meter or (3.2feet x 3.2 feet x 1.9 feet)
with soils in it, it weights approx 2000 pounds/900 kg.

I want to know, how can i reduce the downward force of that 900kg.
You can't.

The force is due to gravity acting on the mass - so you could reduce the soil volume.

What you want it to make it easier for the bottom to slide open.
Assuming contact with the ground is not the problem, but soil pressing from above, you need to reduce the pressure of the soil.

You can do that by:
1. tilting the container so the bottom is no longer horizontal;
2. placing something between the sliding thing and the soil (to reduce the friction);
3. change the sliding whatever with a hinged one - then the weight will help it open;
4. make the slider smaller.

you can increase the bottom surface area of container, so the pressure on bottom decrease.
to maintain the constant amount of soil, you can decrease the height of container.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;

You can't.

The force is due to gravity acting on the mass - so you could reduce the soil volume.

What you want it to make it easier for the bottom to slide open.
Assuming contact with the ground is not the problem, but soil pressing from above, you need to reduce the pressure of the soil.

You can do that by:
1. tilting the container so the bottom is no longer horizontal;
2. placing something between the sliding thing and the soil (to reduce the friction);
3. change the sliding whatever with a hinged one - then the weight will help it open;
4. make the slider smaller.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Is there any way that the pressure will reduce by changing the shape?

I have no idea what "putting a beam on the middle of the container" means.
1. A horizontal plate, moving under soil, experiences frictional forces. As Simon says, reducing the coefficient of friction, by lubrication, or say, using a plactic sheet will reduce the force necessary to move the plate. Teflon is expensive but will do the best job here.
2. You would reduce the force if you put a grate above the plate to help support the dirt. Depending on how cohesive the soil is, this may work...but then again will prevent at least some of the soil from falling.
3. Its not clear to me why you failed to describe your set up. How is the bottom plate/floor/panel supported?
Lets say it is only supported by the groove it slides into on the side-walls. There are two possible sources for additional forces: one is our old friend friction - lubricants, and ball (or roller) bearings would reduce that as above. The other possibility is that the weight of the soil is deforming the plate so that it is in contact with the groove (binding). Increasing its rigidity (thickness or supporting 'rafters') would reduce deflection which might be binding it in its groove.

But: reduce pressure by increasing the area of the bottom for the same mass - this means shallower soil.

But I suspect your problem is more related to friction.
The door slides along a track of some sort (whatever it is that stops the door just falling out) with soil pressing on the other side?

You can lubricate the track
You can put bearings on the track
You can include a lever or other simple machine to multiply your effort.

A smaller door in the bottom - maybe two half-size doors instead of one big one.
Use a completely different design of door - hinge or iris perhaps.

You can construct a sloping bottom (say, like an inverted pyramid or prism) - put the sliding door in the sloping sides.

You are basically spoiled for choice here - what is the context for this project?

Last edited:
Infinite/Zero said:
you can increase the bottom surface area of container, so the pressure on bottom decrease.
to maintain the constant amount of soil, you can decrease the height of container.
My idea is not good as of Simon Bridge's idea.

1. How can the downward force of a 900kg soil container be reduced?

The downward force of a 900kg soil container can be reduced by distributing the weight over a larger surface area. This can be achieved by using a larger container or by adding support under the container, such as a platform or beams.

2. What materials can be used to reduce the downward force of a 900kg soil container?

Materials such as foam, rubber, or other compressible materials can be placed under the container to help distribute the weight and reduce the downward force. Additionally, using stronger and more durable materials for the container itself can also help to reduce the force.

3. Is it possible to reduce the downward force without changing the size of the container?

Yes, it is possible to reduce the downward force without changing the size of the container. This can be done by reinforcing the container with stronger materials or by using support structures, such as braces or beams, to help distribute the weight.

4. What are the potential risks of reducing the downward force of a 900kg soil container?

Some potential risks of reducing the downward force of a 900kg soil container include instability, shifting of the container, or damage to the supporting structures. It is important to carefully consider the weight distribution and stability of the container before making any changes.

5. Are there any alternative methods to reducing the downward force of a 900kg soil container?

Yes, there are alternative methods to reducing the downward force of a 900kg soil container. These include using hydraulic jacks or other lifting equipment to support the container, or using reinforcement techniques such as adding steel beams or cables to help distribute the weight.