Register to reply

Function Group vs. Mechanisms approach (Organic Chemistry)

by bacte2013
Tags: chemistry, function, mechanisms, organic
Share this thread:
bacte2013
Jul13-14, 09:13 PM
P: 28
Hello!

For those who took (or have been taking) the organic chemistry, which methodology do you prefer to tackle the mechanism and prediction questions? I have been reading Loudon & Wade (functional group-based) and Clayden (mechanism-based), but I feel like the mechanism-based approach is more useful when predicting the organic reactions...I am just curious about your opinions...

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
PWR plants
Jul22-14, 12:41 AM
P: 1
I guess it would be a combination of sorts. First would be the question is this an Sn1, Sn2, E1, or E2. From there you get a good idea of the role each reactant. Next, I like to remind myself of what type of starting material is this reaction is describing (i.e. Aldehyde, ketone, amine, ether, etc.); and is it primary, secondary, or tertiary. From there you can determine the rate limiting step of the reaction and subsequently the theoretical yields of each isomer produced. Is this what you are asking?

Register to reply