Big Bang Radiation: Does Gravity Reverse Its Spread?

In summary: They don't actually say. They just say that this observation is consistent with the dark energy density being "increasing".In summary, the Big Bang scenario posits that after the "explosion", matter and radiation spread, while the newborn space grows. The hypothesis of a "Big Crunch" that followed the "explosion" is also discussed. There is some evidence that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, but the idea of a "Big Rip" is highly speculative. The Planck satellite is expected to give an accurate measurement of Hubble's constant.
trichop
According to the Big Bang scenario, after the "explosion" , matter and radiation spreads, while the newborn space grows.
My question is:
This firstly emmited radiation (which I think was spread radially, right?)
shouldn't somewhere in time be attracted back, due to the gravity effect?
Does this make any sense?

Space news on Phys.org
Yes, in the far distant future, everything will come back in a "Big Crunch".

DaveC426913 said:
when there's this "big crunch", don't you think there will be a big bang again?
but this time with some reason? hmm...this get's me to another question...right now we (scientists) think that nothing happened before the big bang. but what if there was a universe and there was a big crunch thus resulting in a big bang...?

That is one hypothesis, yes.

BTW, it's not that scientists think there was nothing before the Big Bang, it's that scientists don't study what came before the Big Bang - there's nothing to study. That's the realm of philosophers and theologians.

DaveC426913 said:

Current interpretation of observational evidence indicates that this is very unlikey - cosmologists think that the expansion is accelerating, not slowing down.

Some physicists even speculate (wildly?) that if the acceleration accelerates, then there might be a "Big Rip".

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
Current interpretation of observational evidence indicates that this is very unlikey - cosmologists think that the expansion is accelerating, not slowing down.

Some physicists even speculate (wildly?) that if the acceleration accelerates, then there might be a "Big Rip".

Regards,
George
well, because big bang was an explosion things heated up and are expanding. but don't you think they will cool down and contract thus resulting in a 'big crunch' rather than a 'big rip'?

varsha said:
well, because big bang was an explosion things heated up and are expanding. but don't you think they will cool down and contract thus resulting in a 'big crunch' rather than a 'big rip'?

Current interpretation of observational evidence (mainly) from Type Ia supernovae indicates that the expansion is accelerating. Physcists think that the cause of the acceleration is dark energy/cosmological constant. I am not completely convinced by this evidence that dark energy/cosmological constant exists, but I do find the evidence to be suggestive.

I do not find the evidence for a Big Rip to be nearly so suggestive, but ths is something that I would like to look into in more detail. Results from the study of gamma-ray bursters recently presented give somewhat weak evidence that not only is the universe accelerating, but that the acceleration itself is increasing.

Sean Carroll has a nice discussion of the future of the universe over on the blog Cosmic Variance. The gamma-ray stuff is discussed in the first link in this article.

Regards,
George

I recently added a post to my Review of Mainstream Cosmology that directly addresses some of these issues.

George Jones said:
I do not find the evidence for a Big Rip to be nearly so suggestive, but ths is something that I would like to look into in more detail. Results from the study of gamma-ray bursters recently presented give somewhat weak evidence that not only is the universe accelerating, but that the acceleration itself is increasing.

They announced this at the recent AAS and further review suggests that there are some serious problems with their methods of data analysis. I would approach this result with extreme skepticism for the time being.

As I understand it, there's a satalite being sent up called plank...One of the experiments on board is to determine the value of 'h' the Hubble constant. Once 'h' is determined then we'll know which way the universe will go.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...It's been years.

Frizz

Frizz said:
As I understand it, there's a satalite being sent up called plank...One of the experiments on board is to determine the value of 'h' the Hubble constant. Once 'h' is determined then we'll know which way the universe will go.

Among many other things, yes, the Planck satellite is expected to give an accurate measurement of Hubble's constant. It's a CMB mission like WMAP, but it's looking at anisotropies on smaller angular scales. Here's a description of the science goals from the Planck website:

The Planck Mission

Some observations, including the new gamma-ray-burst results, show a tiny preference for an increasing dark energy density

how do they know that there is an increase in the density of the dark energy with the help of gamma-ray-burst results?

1. What is Big Bang radiation?

Big Bang radiation, also known as cosmic microwave background radiation, is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is thought to be a remnant of the intense heat and energy released during the Big Bang, the event that is believed to have created the universe.

2. How is Big Bang radiation related to the expansion of the universe?

As the universe expanded and cooled after the Big Bang, the intense heat and energy created particles and photons, including the cosmic microwave background radiation. This radiation has been traveling through the universe since the beginning, and its presence is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory.

3. Does Big Bang radiation have a specific pattern or distribution?

Yes, Big Bang radiation has a specific pattern known as the Planck spectrum. This means that the radiation is distributed across all wavelengths, with the majority falling in the microwave range. This pattern has been observed and confirmed by numerous experiments and is a fundamental aspect of the Big Bang theory.

4. Can we detect Big Bang radiation?

Yes, we can detect Big Bang radiation using specialized instruments such as telescopes and satellites. The most famous example is the Cosmic Microwave Background Explorer (COBE) satellite, which was launched in 1989 and provided the first high-quality map of the cosmic microwave background radiation. Other experiments, such as the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) and the Planck satellite, have also studied this radiation in detail.

5. Does gravity reverse the spread of Big Bang radiation?

No, gravity does not reverse the spread of Big Bang radiation. The expansion of the universe is driven by the force of dark energy, which is thought to be responsible for the acceleration of the expansion. Gravity, on the other hand, acts as a force that slows down the expansion. However, the effects of gravity on Big Bang radiation are very small and do not reverse its spread.