Electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r

In summary: I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong. If I am, then I'm going to have to go back and re-read the whole section.It's really not bad, you just start on the inside and work your way out. With a lot of problems you run into the same integrals over and over again and you just end up memorizing the answer, for instance:\int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} \sin^2\theta d\theta d\phi = 4 \picomes up all the time (such as in this problem).This is good, except I'm pretty sure the volume element on that integral is r2 sin
Repetit
What is the electric field inside a sphere of radius R when the charge density is given by:
[tex]\rho=\frac{A}{r}[/tex]
Where A is a constant, and r is the radius at where the charge density is to be evaluated. By Gauss' law I have calculated the field to be equal to:
[tex]E=\frac{A}{2\epsilon_0}[/tex]
But that seems quite odd as the field is then independent of the radius. But could this be explained by the fact that the charge density is inversely proportional to the radius?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct. If you integrate the charge density over a sphere of radius R it's a little easier to see why this is so:

[tex]\int_0^R \int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} \rho r^2 \sin^2\theta d\theta d\phi dr[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^R \int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} A r \sin^2\theta d\theta d\phi dr[/tex]
[tex]A 4 \pi \int_0^R r dr[/tex]
[tex]A 2 \pi R^2[/tex]

So, the amount of charge which is inside a sphere of radius R increases with the square of the radius. The surface area of that sphere which the electric field lines are spread out over also increases with R^2, although it's larger by a factor of two. This is why there is no R dependence on the electric field, the two competing effects of total charge and surface area over which the electric field is spread cancel out.

I'm just starting my second Calculus course, those nested integrals look fun :eek:

Ubern0va said:
I'm just starting my second Calculus course, those nested integrals look fun :eek:

It's really not bad, you just start on the inside and work your way out. With a lot of problems you run into the same integrals over and over again and you just end up memorizing the answer, for instance:

[tex]\int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} \sin^2\theta d\theta d\phi = 4 \pi[/tex]

comes up all the time (such as in this problem).

This is good, except I'm pretty sure the volume element on that integral is r2 sin[theta] dr d[theta] d[phi] for spherical coordinates instead of having a sin2 [theta] component. This is from Griffith's Intro to E&M

Last edited:

1. What is the expression for the electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r?

The electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r can be calculated using the formula E = (1/4πε0) * Q * r / (r3), where Q is the charge enclosed by the sphere and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance inside a sphere of charge density A/r?

The electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r decreases with distance from the center of the sphere. This is because the charge enclosed by the sphere is distributed over a larger area as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker electric field.

3. Can the electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r be negative?

Yes, the electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r can be negative. This occurs when the charge enclosed by the sphere is negative, which would result in an electric field pointing towards the center of the sphere.

4. How is the electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r affected by changes in charge or distance?

The electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r is directly proportional to the enclosed charge and inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that increasing the charge or decreasing the distance will result in a stronger electric field, while decreasing the charge or increasing the distance will result in a weaker electric field.

5. Is the electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r affected by the size of the sphere?

No, the electric field inside a sphere of charge density A/r is not affected by the size of the sphere. This is because the charge enclosed by the sphere is the determining factor for the electric field, not the size of the sphere itself.