Will Windows XP prgram be compatible to Vista?

• Thread starter Nothing000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the student plans on upgrading their OS to Windows Vista once it is released, but if they buy the program for Windows XP it will not work on Vista. Microsoft does not charge for questions, but the company that makes Mathematica does.
Nothing000
I want to purchase Mathematica (student version), but I plan on upgrading my OS to Windows Vista once it is released. If I buy the program for Windows XP will it work on Vista? Are operating systems backward compatible like that?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I tried to contact the company that makes Mathematica but I can't figure out how to get ahold of them. I also tried to contact Microsoft, but they charge money to ask them questions!

Yes it will be compatabilty. Don't worry about it.

Are you saying that so that I will buy it and then it won't be compatible and you can laugh at me?

Nothing000 said:
Are you saying that so that I will buy it and then it won't be compatible and you can laugh at me?

I'm sure that's exactly what he's doing :uhh:

If you'll notice almost any PC application you purchase at the store, it'll have something like "Compatible Operationg systems:" and most now-a-days will says "98/XP/2000". Some will even be compatible with Windows 95 and many many more are now saying they are compatible with Linux. So version compatibility is never really an issue unless you're using a windows 95 program or NT 4.0

It will be most likely compatible unless Steve Balmer goes balmy again.

BTW, why Mathematica, hwy not Matlab?

xp is backwards compatible to previous versions, so will vista.. Plus Vista is built on the same NT technology as xp/2k

sid_galt said:
It will be most likely compatible unless Steve Balmer goes balmy again.
BTW, why Mathematica, hwy not Matlab?

Is Matlab better? I started a thread early this morning about which program I should buy.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106031

I think the 64-bit version of Vista may generate some incompatibility with programs, at least when i was looking into XP 64-bit that's what i found out.

Why doesn't Microsoft advertise that their OS's are backward compatible? That seems like a big selling point to me.

They aren't stupid. They have to make it backwards compatible or no one would upgrade.

Again, don't worry about it. The software you buy now will work on Vista 32bit edition.

I have a very strong feeling that you are trying to sabatoge me dduardo. I don't know if I can believe you.

Last edited:
Nothing000 said:
Is Matlab better? I started a thread early this morning about which program I should buy.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106031

I don't know. I just asked 'coz I was curious. On the other hand, I tried the Mathematica trial version. I liked the programming capabilities but the graph making capabilities didn't appeal to me. Too text based.
I haven' tried Matlab.

Nothing000 said:
Why doesn't Microsoft advertise that their OS's are backward compatible? That seems like a big selling point to me.

Most people don't even know what "compatibility" is. It's as if Ford advertised that its new 2006 F-150 was backwards compatible with 2005 F-150 gasoline :confused: Compatibility is just an assumed thing... hell Ford could sneak in a diesel engine and the public wouldn't konw until they purchased their gasoline and the engine sucked.

Look even if it won't work on Vista, natively, Vista HAS BUILT INTO IT BACKWARDS COMPATIBILTY, you can run application compiled for previous versions of Windows in a backwards compatabile enviroment...

I have a very strong feeling that you are trying to sabatoge me dduardo. I don't know if I can believe you.

? Are you mad or something?

I am not mad, I just know that dduardo can't stand me.

1. Will all programs in Windows XP be compatible with Vista?

No, not all programs in Windows XP will be compatible with Vista. Some programs may require updates or patches to work properly on Vista, while others may not be compatible at all due to changes in the operating system.

2. How can I check if a specific program in Windows XP is compatible with Vista?

You can check a specific program's compatibility with Vista by visiting the Microsoft Compatibility Center website. Here, you can search for the program and see if it is compatible with Vista or if there are any known issues.

3. Do I need to upgrade my programs in Windows XP to use them on Vista?

In most cases, no. If a program is compatible with Vista, you should be able to use it without upgrading. However, there may be some programs that require updates or patches to work properly on Vista.

4. What if a program is not compatible with Vista?

If a program is not compatible with Vista, you may need to find an alternative program that is compatible. Alternatively, you can try using compatibility mode in Vista, which allows you to run programs as if you were on a previous version of Windows.

5. Can I still use my Windows XP programs if I upgrade to Vista?

Yes, you should still be able to use your Windows XP programs if you upgrade to Vista. However, it is always recommended to check the compatibility of your programs before upgrading to avoid any potential issues.