Help with dielectrics, capacitors, batteries, etc

In summary, a dielectric is a material that increases the capacitance of a capacitor by reducing the potential difference between the plates for a given plate charge. In order to find the terminal voltage of a fully charged capacitor that can light a .50 watt bulb for 5.0 seconds, the equation W = (1/2)CV^2 can be used to solve for V. The dielectric constant needed to store 20 J in a capacitor can be found by dividing the required capacitance by the initial capacitance, and it can also be solved using the equation PE = (1/2)Q^2/C.
dnt
1. can someone please explain the idea of a dielectric to me (or at least give me a link that explains it in laymans terms) - all i understand is that its placed between two capacitors and it increases their capacitance (by the factor of K). what does it do to the voltage? and the charge?

2. a question states that a fully charged capacitor of capacitance 1.0 F is able to light a .50 watt bulb for 5.0 seconds before it quits - what was the terminal voltage of the battery that charged the capacitor?

I first tried wolving for work (power = work/time) and I got W = 2.5 J but after that I am stuck. i know that V = W/q but i don't know what q is. please help.

3. the last question says to store energy to trigger an electronic flash unit for photography, a capacitor is connected to a 400 V voltage source. the flash requires 20 J. the capacitor is initially airfilled and has a capacitance of 100 uF (microfarads). you then insert a dielectric material, leaving everything else the same. what must be the dielectric constant to store 20 J.

my solution: I started by saying that U = 1/2 CV^2 (is that correct?)

by solving for C required I got 2.5*10^-4 F

however, it says my capacitance is only 100 uF = 1*10^-4 F

therefore the dielectric constant needs to be (2.5*10^-4)/(1*10^-4) = 2.5

is that the right answer? did i do the work correctly?

thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
dnt said:
1. can someone please explain the idea of a dielectric to me (or at least give me a link that explains it in laymans terms) - all i understand is that its placed between two capacitors and it increases their capacitance (by the factor of K). what does it do to the voltage? and the charge?
A dielectric contains polar molecules that align themselves in an electric field so as to oppose it. Thus the insertion of a dielectric reduces the potential difference (voltage) between the plates for a given plate charge. Since : C = Q/V, the dielectric has the effect of increasing capacitance.
2. a question states that a fully charged capacitor of capacitance 1.0 F is able to light a .50 watt bulb for 5.0 seconds before it quits - what was the terminal voltage of the battery that charged the capacitor?

I first tried wolving for work (power = work/time) and I got W = 2.5 J but after that I am stuck. i know that V = W/q but i don't know what q is. please help.
The energy stored in a capacitor is power x time:
[tex]W = \int_0^{t_f} Pdt = \int_0^{t_f} VIdt = \int_Q^0 Vdq = \int_V^0 VCdv = \frac{1}{2}CV^2[/tex]

You don't need to work out Q (charge on plates at full voltage, V) to find V. But if you want to do so, Q=VC where V is what you just worked out and C = 1.0 F.

3. the last question says to store energy to trigger an electronic flash unit for photography, a capacitor is connected to a 400 V voltage source. the flash requires 20 J. the capacitor is initially airfilled and has a capacitance of 100 uF (microfarads). you then insert a dielectric material, leaving everything else the same. what must be the dielectric constant to store 20 J.

my solution: I started by saying that U = 1/2 CV^2 (is that correct?)

by solving for C required I got 2.5*10^-4 F

however, it says my capacitance is only 100 uF = 1*10^-4 F

therefore the dielectric constant needs to be (2.5*10^-4)/(1*10^-4) = 2.5

is that the right answer? did i do the work correctly?
Looks fine.

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
The energy stored in a capacitor is power x time:
[tex]W = \int_0^{t_f} Pdt = \int_0^{t_f} VIdt = \int_Q^0 Vdq = \int_V^0 VCdv = \frac{1}{2}CV^2[/tex]

You don't need to work out Q (charge on plates at full voltage, V) to find V. But if you want to do so, Q=VC where V is what you just worked out and C = 1.0 F.

thanks for the help even though i don't understand all those symbols and stuff. however, how do you find Q when you don't have V either? you said Q=VC but we only know C.

either way, the best way to solve it would be W=(1/2)CV^2

so 2.5 J = (1/2)(1.0 F)V^2

and solve for V that way...is that right?

thanks again.

dnt said:
thanks for the help even though i don't understand all those symbols and stuff. however, how do you find Q when you don't have V either? you said Q=VC but we only know C.

either way, the best way to solve it would be W=(1/2)CV^2

so 2.5 J = (1/2)(1.0 F)V^2

and solve for V that way...is that right?

thanks again.
In order to get 2.5 J stored in the capacitor, you will need to have a voltage of [itex]V = \sqrt{5} = 2.24 Volts[/itex]. Q = CV, so Q = 2.24 Coulombs. So a charge of 2.24 C. will produce a voltage of 2.24 volts and a stored energy of 2.5 J.

AM

ok so basically you cannot solve for Q unless you solve for V first?

The Electrical PE of a collection of charges (as on a capacitor) is PE = Q*V .
But here, the Electric Potential (V) is caused by the charges (Q) themselves.
The Electric Potential when the first charge was put on was V_start = 0 ;
the Electric Potential when the final charge accumulated was V_end = V .
So, for a capacitor, PE = Q_total * V_average = 1/2 Q*V .

Capacitance is defined: C = Q/V, so it's also ok to write PE = 1/2 Q*Q/C .
With that expression, you don't need to compute Voltage first.

Remember that Voltage is dV = E dx ; as the dielectric is inserted,
the E-field reduces to E/K , if the same Q are on the plates.
So the device has the "capacity" to store K times as much charge
for the same "electrical analogy to gas pressure" (Voltage).

Last edited:

1. What is a dielectric and how does it affect capacitors?

A dielectric is a non-conducting material that is placed between the plates of a capacitor to increase its capacitance. It works by reducing the electric field between the plates, allowing for more charge to be stored.

2. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is determined by the formula C=Q/V, where C is capacitance in Farads, Q is the charge stored on the plates in Coulombs, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in Volts.

3. Can you explain the difference between a parallel plate capacitor and a cylindrical capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor has two parallel plates with equal and opposite charges separated by a dielectric material, whereas a cylindrical capacitor has a cylindrical shape with two concentric conductors separated by a dielectric material. The capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor depends on its length, radius, and dielectric constant, while the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor only depends on the plate area and the dielectric constant.

4. How do batteries provide a source of electricity?

Batteries work by converting chemical energy into electrical energy. Inside a battery, there are two electrodes – a positive and a negative – that are immersed in an electrolyte solution. Chemical reactions between the electrodes and the electrolyte release electrons, creating a flow of electricity.

5. How can I increase the voltage of a battery?

To increase the voltage of a battery, you can connect multiple batteries in series. This means connecting the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of another. The voltage of the batteries will add up, resulting in a higher overall voltage. However, it's important to note that this will not increase the total amount of charge the batteries can hold.