Calculating Coefficient of Kinetic Friction on an Inclined Ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the coefficient of kinetic friction between a 10 kg suitcase and a ramp inclined at 37 deg. After solving for the net force and setting it equal to the difference between the x-component of the force and the kinetic friction, a discrepancy arises between the calculated value and the one given in the book. After rechecking the math, it is discovered that a parenthesis was missing in the calculation, leading to an incorrect answer.
superdave
Here it is.
A 10 kg suitcase is placed on a flat ramp inclined at 37 deg. When released from rest, the suitcase accelerates down the ramp at .15 m/s^2. What is the coefficient of the kinetic friction between the suitcase and the ramp?

Now, from this I got Fnet=m*a=1.5 N in the x direction.

Fnet=Fx-kinetic friction=mg(sin theta)-mg(cos theta)(mu k)
solving for mu k:
mu k=mg(sin theta)-Fnet)/mg(cos theta)

Doing all the math gets me something like .46, but the back of the book disagrees. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is wrong. The acceleration is greater than g.

It's 0.15 m/s^2. I left out the 0, so it might've looked like 15. Sorry.

I can't see that you've done anything wrong.

The answer I get is .468, but the book gives .73. Unless the book is wrong, which I guess is conceivable.

I set it up the same way and got u=0.734. Maybe just re-check your math after the last equation.

Show your calculations.

Thanks, I got it. I had forgotten to add a parenthesis when putting it into my calculator. Stupid me. I tried to post this yesterday, but the forum seemed to go down.

Yeah it did go down. Most errors I make are computational rather than systematic.

1. What is the definition of friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is a measure of the amount of force required to overcome the resistance of friction between two surfaces in contact.

2. How is friction coefficient calculated?

Friction coefficient is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the frictional force by the normal force acting between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient can be affected by the nature and roughness of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. Why is finding friction coefficient important?

Understanding and accurately measuring the friction coefficient is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it helps in predicting and controlling the behavior of objects in contact.

5. What are some methods for finding friction coefficient?

Some common methods for finding friction coefficient include using a tribometer, performing experiments with different surfaces and forces, and using mathematical models and simulations based on known properties of the materials in contact.