Proving Uniqueness of Invertible Matrix for Linear Spaces with Bases E and F"

• Thread starter cfnoel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    advanced
In summary, the problem states that for a linear space X of dimension n with two bases E and F, there exists a unique invertible n*n matrix [Sij] such that the components of a vector x with respect to E and F can be expressed as a linear combination of the components of x with respect to F using the matrix [Sij]. This matrix is unique and is given by ai = $\sum_{j=1}^{n}$ sij*bj.
cfnoel
I'm having issues seeing the method to go with this problem. Here it is:

Suppose that X is a linear space of dimension n, and E = {e1,...,en}, F = {f1,...,fn} are two bases of X. Prove that there is a unique invertible n*n matrix [sij] such that if a vector x belonging to X (I don't know how to make the math symbols or subscripts so please bare with me) has components [ai] with respect to E and components [bj] with respect to F, meaning that

x = Summation( i=1 to n) ai*ei, x = Summation( j=1 to n) bj*fj

then
ai = Summation( j=1 to n) sij*bj.

My book doesn't give examples so I'm having a hard time seeing how to do this problem. If E and F are bases, then they're independent so the components ai and bj are unique. Then sij is just the combination of ai and bj. I'm pretty cloudy and would appreciate all the help I could get. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [Sij] be the matrix such that ai = $\sum_{j=1}^{n}$ sij*bj.We will now prove that this matrix is unique. Suppose there exists another matrix [Tij] such that ai = $\sum_{j=1}^{n}$ tij*bj. Then, for any i and j, we havesij*bj = ai = $\sum_{j=1}^{n}$ tij*bj $\implies$ sij = $\sum_{j=1}^{n}$ tij*(bj/bj) $\implies$ sij = tij Thus, we have shown that [Sij] = [Tij], which means that the matrix is unique.

1. What is the definition of an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique solution for each of its variables, making it possible to "invert" the matrix and solve for the original variables.

2. How is the uniqueness of an invertible matrix proven for linear spaces with bases E and F?

The uniqueness of an invertible matrix for linear spaces with bases E and F can be proven by showing that for any vector in the space, there exists only one possible linear combination of the basis vectors E and F that can produce that vector.

3. What is the significance of proving uniqueness of an invertible matrix in linear algebra?

Proving the uniqueness of an invertible matrix is important in linear algebra as it guarantees that the matrix can be used to solve for any vector in the space, making it a powerful tool for solving a variety of problems in mathematics and other fields.

4. How does the concept of linear independence relate to proving the uniqueness of an invertible matrix?

The concept of linear independence is closely related to proving the uniqueness of an invertible matrix. In order for an invertible matrix to exist, the basis vectors E and F must be linearly independent, meaning that neither vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the other. This ensures that there is only one possible solution for each vector in the space.

5. Can the uniqueness of an invertible matrix be proven for non-square matrices?

No, the uniqueness of an invertible matrix can only be proven for square matrices. This is because non-square matrices do not have a unique solution for each of its variables, and therefore cannot be inverted.