Explain how a hypersphere is possible

• Thread starter Quantum1332
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: I will give you some hints about how to imagine a sphere in one higher dimension than usual.Your question about imagining higher dim spheres could just as well have been asked before 1915. It is a classical type question. That is not bad! We need all that classical understanding----you should be asking. but it does not belong here.So if you open it in, say, "Special and General Relativity"forum it will not be so off - topic and you SHOULD get a fuller response.
Quantum1332
Can someone explain how a hypersphere is possible. Because obviously it would not add up to 360 degrees. Could it just be a 3d sphere rotating in a 4d (or more dimensions) hyperspace. Can someone shed some insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum1332 said:
Can someone explain how a hypersphere is possible. Because obviously it would not add up to 360 degrees. Could it just be a 3d sphere rotating in a 4d (or more dimensions) hyperspace. Can someone shed some insight.

what should add up to 360 degrees? This seems to me a weird definition of a hypersphere. A sphere is defined to be all the points that have the same distance to some central point. You can do that in an arbitrary number of dimensions.

B.

hossi said:
what should add up to 360 degrees? This seems to me a weird definition of a hypersphere. A sphere is defined to be all the points that have the same distance to some central point. You can do that in an arbitrary number of dimensions.

B.

i was talking about the degrees. Hyper means higher dimensions, a hypersphere is a sphere that exists in higher dimensions, as in a 4d sphere.

What exactly is your question then?

Any point on a circle is defined by a radius at an angle from the x-axis. Since the radius is constant by definition for a circle, you only need one angle to define any point on a circle. This is where you are getting 360 degrees from. (or 2pi radians)

In a sphere, once again the radius is constant but now you need two angles to define a point on the sphere: one angle measured from the x-axis and another from the z-axis. You can't really say there are a certain amount of degrees or radians in a sphere; you can say there are 4pi steradians.

It follows that a hypersphere for 4 dimensions would be defined by all points a distance R from its center, and any point could be defined by three angles. Are you asking if there is something like a radian or steradian in 4-d?

Last edited:
Quantum1332 said:
i was talking about the degrees. Hyper means higher dimensions, a hypersphere is a sphere that exists in higher dimensions, as in a 4d sphere.

Thanks for pointing that out! Talking about degrees... Maybe you should try to figure out what you actually mean by hypersphere. It has some angles and lives in higher dimensions won't do. As far as I know, a sphere in d dimensions is the d-1 dimensional subset which contains all points that have the same distance to some central point. What you can do then, is to compute e.g. the surface or the volume (for fixed radius), both of which will depend on d, have some powers of \pi in it, and (if I recall that correctly) some \Gamma functions. The surface is not in general 2 \pi.

B.

What I don't understand is how you can have a sphere in a 4d hyperspace. So what i want to know is, if it would basically be a sphere that is suspeded withing a 4d hyperspace.

Quantum1332 said:
What I don't understand is how you can have a sphere in a 4d hyperspace. So what i want to know is, if it would basically be a sphere that is suspeded withing a 4d hyperspace.

The object is called a 3-sphere. Just as a spherical surface in 3-space is two dimensional (latitude and longitude), so a spherical volume in 4-space is three dimensional. It's the solution of [tex] (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (z-c)^2 + (w-d)^2 = R^2[/tex]. You can't really visualize it; each little piece of it looks like three dimensional space.

Quantum1332 said:

This thread should be moved to the Tensor Analysis & Differential Geometry forum

Other dimensions are very hard to imagined. I have another question, why can't we see these other dimensions.

Quantum1332 said:
Other dimensions are very hard to imagined. I have another question, why can't we see these other dimensions.

Quantum1332 I will offer to make a deal with you.
Start your threads in a more appropriate forum and I will give you some hints about how to imagine a sphere in one higher dimension than usual.

Your question about imagining higher dim spheres could just as well have been asked before 1915. It is a classical type question. That is not bad! We need all that classical understanding----you should be asking. but it does not belong here.

So if you open it in, say, "Special and General Relativity"
forum it will not be so off - topic and you SHOULD get a fuller response.

marcus said:
Quantum1332 I will offer to make a deal with you.
Start your threads in a more appropriate forum and I will give you some hints about how to imagine a sphere in one higher dimension than usual.

Your question about imagining higher dim spheres could just as well have been asked before 1915. It is a classical type question. That is not bad! We need all that classical understanding----you should be asking. but it does not belong here.

So if you open it in, say, "Special and General Relativity"
forum it will not be so off - topic and you SHOULD get a fuller response.

I am by no means a physicist, but i know a good bit about this topic. Could the reason as to why we can't see this other dimension be because light passes beneath it. You are right maybe it should be moved, but you don't have to be so angry about it.

Quantum1332 said:
... you don't have to be so angry about it.

not angry at all Q1332. guess my tone of voice didnt come thru clearly.

I am just suggesting that if you want a good response you should probably abandon this thread and start a thread in the appropriate forum where people like to talk about hyperspheres and stuff.

for your own good.

you MIGHT get a reasonable response here but more likely in, say Relativity forum, or in one of the maths.

Quantum1332 said:
Can someone explain how a hypersphere is possible.
Is your problem specifically with a hypersphere, or with any object embedded in a 4d space ?

Because obviously it would not add up to 360 degrees.
When you are using math, you need to be very specific about your description. What does not add to 360 degrees ? And the answer is not "I'm talking about the degrees". The degrees add to 360 degrees ? That doesn't help, does it ? You need to tell us what "it" is.

Could it just be a 3d sphere rotating in a 4d (or more dimensions) hyperspace.
I think that will work.

If you have a 2-sphere in 4d space[itex](x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)[/itex], the surface of which is defined by [itex]x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2 = a^2 [/itex] and rotate this about either [itex]x_1,~x_2~or~x_3[/itex], I imagine you'll get a 3-sphere with the same center and radius.

1. How can a hypersphere exist in a three-dimensional world?

A hypersphere is a four-dimensional shape that is analogous to a three-dimensional sphere. Just as a three-dimensional sphere has all points equidistant from its center, a hypersphere has all points equidistant from its center in four-dimensional space. While it may be difficult to visualize, mathematically it is possible to describe and understand a hypersphere.

2. What is the difference between a hypersphere and a regular sphere?

A hypersphere is a four-dimensional shape, while a regular sphere is a three-dimensional shape. This means that a hypersphere has one extra dimension, allowing for more complex and unique properties. For example, a hypersphere has a larger surface area and volume compared to a regular sphere of the same radius.

3. How is a hypersphere used in scientific research?

Hyperspheres are used in various fields of science, including mathematics, physics, and computer science. In mathematics, hyperspheres are used to study higher-dimensional geometry and topology. In physics, they are used to describe and model objects in four-dimensional space. In computer science, hyperspheres are used in algorithms and data analysis for high-dimensional data sets.

4. Can a hypersphere exist in our physical universe?

While we cannot directly observe a hypersphere with our three-dimensional perception, it is theoretically possible for a hypersphere to exist in our universe. Some theories in physics, such as string theory and the concept of extra dimensions, suggest the existence of higher-dimensional objects like hyperspheres.

5. How is a hypersphere different from a black hole?

A hypersphere and a black hole are two different concepts. A hypersphere is a geometric shape, while a black hole is a region of space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. However, some theories propose that black holes may have a hypersphere-like shape in higher dimensions, but this has not been confirmed.