Deafening Music: Solutions to End the Noise?

• Music
  • Thread starter Echo 6 Sierra
  • Start date
In summary, young people are complaining about the loud bass in music, but no one can seem to come up with a solution.
Echo 6 Sierra
I can't take it anymore!

OK. The majority of people LOVE music, right? Can someone tell me what the lemon-drops the window rattling bass does for anyone? You know the types...you're sitting at a red light and your mirrors start to rattle and it wakes up the baby that you JUST got to sleep by driving it around for a few minutes. How is it enjoyable? I mean, other than the fact that it pisses off everyone else but them. Yes, yes, the next geneerations music is always hated by the older generations and there is always someone that can like all types of music across genres but WTH!

Is there a device that I can buy that will cancel the racket and/or make the offenders ears bleed or go blind? (kidding, I don't want to hurt anyone) Maybe shut off the electricity of their automobooble. How about a directional speaker that produces that earsplitting sound that only juveniles can hear? Maybe I should time-warp to my teens and get Eddie Van Halen to play Eruption @50-gigadecibles or crank up some Yoko when I pull up next to them.

Honestly, is there anything I can buy that would cancel out the vibrations? How about a loudspeaker with a tape of crows fighting? I'm getting too old when I complain about music but THEY SUCK!

Science news on Phys.org
i sometimes hitch a ride home with a guy from work who is really into that kind of music. the thumping bass literally makes me feel nauseous, esp when he turns it up or plays it loud :yuck: all i know is he can't stand my black metal :devil: don't know if that helps you or not. get a nice stereo & play some leviathan, anaal nathrakh, dimmu borgir, cradle of filth, emperor, etc very loud for them lol

Low frequency waves have been shown to have an adverse effect on humans.

I have often thought the same thing. I wish I had some kind of directional EMP that I could point at their car and fry the living bujeezus out of the electrical system right there on the street. Since that's not going to happen, I figured one day I would fight fire with fire and get my own kick ass system that none of the standard bass listening idiots could come close to matching. Then I'd play something as obnoxious as I could come up with...Barry Manilow...Abba...Bee Gees...

There's nothing like bass ripping your body apart and taking your ear-drums to their limits and beyond...

:biggrin:

How about a directional speaker that produces that earsplitting sound that only juveniles can hear?
There is actually an anit-loitering device that works on this principle, but it only affects a sub-set of juveniles, it's not ear-splitting, but loud enough to be annoying.

What you need, E6S, is the Mosquito (what Jeff's talking about).

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/11/28/news/journal.php

If you promise to use it regularly, I will contribute to a fund for you to buy one.

Huge thumping bass sound is a known technique in compensating for inadequate sexual organs and below-par sexual performance.

DaveC426913 said:
Huge thumping bass sound is a known technique in compensating for inadequate sexual organs and below-par sexual performance.
:rofl: :rofl:

More young people need to get into the blues.

DaveC426913 said:
:rofl: Why can't they just get a sports car like normal people? :rolleyes:

I don't know how it doesn't give them a headache. If you want to recommend a career to your kids that's going to be a growing field over the next few decades, recommend they go into audiology or become an E.N.T. All these kids are going to need hearing aids before long. I wonder if we'll see a shift from the current trend of trying to make hearing aids smaller and less noticeable to making them larger with lots of bling bling? Gold-plated, diamond-studded hearing aids anyone?

Gokul43201 said:
What you need, E6S, is the Mosquito (what Jeff's talking about).

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/11/28/news/journal.php

If you promise to use it regularly, I will contribute to a fund for you to buy one.

DAMN STRAIGHT! I would never turn it off. I live down the street from Austin Community College (Northridge). I read the article and would also like to see if I can get funding for the "zit lamp", but just for kicks.

Last edited:
I agree, loud thumping bass is very annoying. However, so is any loud music being played in a car imo.

mattmns said:
I agree, loud thumping bass is very annoying. However, so is any loud music being played in a car imo.
I agree. It's easy for anything to sound too loud in a car. And if any music is played loud enough to share with all your neighbors who haven't requested it, it's too loud. I do drive with the music a bit loud this time of year, just because I have all the windows open, so can't hear it otherwise. But as soon as I pull into a residential area, I turn it down so I don't disturb everyone with it (and because once the rush of wind through the windows stops, it's way too loud for me too).

Echo 6 Sierra said:
other than the fact that it pisses off everyone else but them.

I'm getting too old when I complain about music but THEY SUCK!

Years ago, as a pissed-off 18 year old, I blasted "Bodies" by the Sex Pistols out the window of my freshman dorm room. It was so loud, my speakers suffered permenant damage, and buzzed ever after.

I can't believe what an idiot I was.

There is no other reason for it. IT's too loud to enjoy, it's always distorted, the only reason is to upset others.

And no, complaining about music does not make you old. I think young people complain about music much more than older folks (I'm stuck amongst teenagers all day).

Reminds of a time I was driving my brother to his basketball game, in my convertible playing Barenaked Ladies (i think the song was Brian Wilson, but it might have been 'Be My Yoko Ono' which would be even funnier). Anyway, we pull up at a stop light next to some high school punk in a little mitsubishi ricer (non-stock rims, body kit, etc, interior all redone, neon blue lights inside). He must have gotten offended that he could hear my music, so he cranks up his rap music in retaliation. My brother and I just started laughingly hysterically (which the kid noticed). Then as the light turns green, he floors the gas in an effort to 'smoke us'. Apparently, he didn't know how to drive stick, judging from the sound as he shifted gears. But he thought he was so cool.

Echo 6 Sierra said:
is there anything I can buy that would cancel out the vibrations?
RPG?[color=#eded]...[/color]

A co-worker of mine just reminded me that a few years back there was a scandal in horse racing where people had devices concealed in binoculars that could emit directional high-freq signals in short bursts that would cause whichever horse to be startled for a brief enough time to cause it to go off stride thus influencing the race.

Can you taser a car? I mean...except with Danger's RPG...but it WOULD bring spiritual creaminess if you could, huh.

Echo 6 Sierra said:
A co-worker of mine just reminded me that a few years back there was a scandal in horse racing where people had devices concealed in binoculars that could emit directional high-freq signals in short bursts that would cause whichever horse to be startled for a brief enough time to cause it to go off stride thus influencing the race.

Can you taser a car? I mean...except with Danger's RPG...but it WOULD bring spiritual creaminess if you could, huh.
If you live in a town with stop lights that can be changed by remote control, you can buy a kit that will control the stop lights. Since you can change the light to turn green, I presume you could also change the light to turn red; each and every light along the music lover's route.

Of course, the down side to that is that you have to stop at each red light, as well, which means you get to listen to his music at every single light.

By the way, only emergency vehicles are legally allowed to manipulate those lights. If an intersection has video cameras to catch people running red lights, they can also catch the strange coincidence of the same car always being present when the traffic light changes out of sequence.

Hmmm... I've just spent about an hour trying to find something on portable EMP devices. Nothing yet, but I'll keep at it. Nothing like blowing the guy's amps every time you see him... :devil:

That brings on a reminiscence. My first involvement in PF was conspiring with MIH to neutralize a "Noisy Neighbor". How'd that turn out?

You should get a 2000 watt stereo with speakers directed outwards and play "It's a Small World".

Jeff Reid said:
You should get a 2000 watt stereo with speakers directed outwards and play "It's a Small World".
Y'know, as soon as I saw your name on this thread, that very same idea came to mind. :rofl:

Why? Have you been in consultation with his urologist?

Danger said:
Why? Have you been in consultation with his urologist?
:rofl: Nah, he's been running afoul of the sisterhood with his complaints about It's a Small World playing on the RV loudspeakers. :rofl:

Jeff Reid said:
That would be hellish... don't torture everyone because of one idiot... :rofl:

And as a member of the teenage... epidemic (Perhaps...), it's more of a 'Bad Boy' type of thing. My boyfriend enjoys turning his car stereo up while playing some horrible pop rock tune and then attempt to have a conversation with me. :yuck: And a good friend of mine has over twenty speakers, and two amps, hooked up to his computer. He claims he "Enjoys the feeling of the floor shaking under him" (The physics majors these days...), for some known reason. I believe it's really more of a macho thing. :rofl: Pathetic, if you think of it.

I agree with the comment posted above. They should just buy a sports car and ruin their credit like everyone else.

SimplySolitary_ said:
That would be hellish... don't torture everyone because of one idiot... :rofl:

And as a member of the teenage... epidemic (Perhaps...), it's more of a 'Bad Boy' type of thing. My boyfriend enjoys turning his car stereo up while playing some horrible pop rock tune and then attempt to have a conversation with me.
:yuck:

Are you sure he's not just avoiding a conversation with you when he does that :uhh: ?

And a good friend of mine has over twenty speakers, and two amps, hooked up to his computer. He claims he "Enjoys the feeling of the floor shaking under him" (The physics majors these days...), for some known reason. I believe it's really more of a macho thing. :rofl: Pathetic, if you think of it.

I agree with the comment posted above. They should just buy a sports car and ruin their credit like everyone else.

Credit? Who needs credit? I just happen to have this long list of...

1. How does loud music affect our hearing?

Loud music can cause permanent damage to our hearing by damaging the hair cells in our inner ear. These hair cells are responsible for converting sound vibrations into electrical signals that our brain can interpret. When they are damaged, they cannot be repaired and can lead to hearing loss.

2. What are the long-term health effects of exposure to loud music?

Exposure to loud music over a long period of time can lead to a variety of health issues, including hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and high blood pressure. It can also cause stress, fatigue, and difficulty sleeping.

3. Are there any ways to protect our hearing from loud music?

Yes, there are several ways to protect our hearing from loud music. Some options include using earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, limiting exposure to loud music, and keeping music at a reasonable volume. It is also important to take breaks from loud music and give your ears time to rest.

4. How can we encourage venues to lower their music volume?

One way to encourage venues to lower their music volume is to raise awareness about the potential health risks of loud music and the importance of protecting our hearing. This can be done through campaigns, petitions, and working with local government agencies to enforce noise regulations. Additionally, supporting venues that prioritize safe sound levels can send a message to others to do the same.

5. Can technology be used to reduce the noise level of loud music?

Yes, technology can be used to reduce the noise level of loud music. Sound engineers can use techniques such as sound absorption, sound barriers, and sound isolation to reduce the noise level at concerts and other events. Additionally, noise-cancelling headphones and apps that measure and limit sound levels can also be used to protect our hearing from loud music.