Could Online Dating Help Me Find My Perfect Match?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary: I don't think that's going to happen.Their profiles should just come out and say "I don't actually care about finding the right person, I just want someone nearby".
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Zooby suggested i try this, so far i have 20 nubile Russian girls who want to marry an older English man (as Russian men are all drunkards), 5 high pressure business women that have never had a relationship before, and a load of old boilers, where is my eve :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I met my husband on line, in a chat room about pets. We chated for over a year befor I agreed to meet him. Then dated for another 8 months in real time, then just figured out we should be married, so we did.
I don't think I could do a online dateing service, the ones I looked at, just had a creepy feel to them.

hypatia said:
I met my husband on line, in a chat room about pets. We chated for over a year befor I agreed to meet him. Then dated for another 8 months in real time, then just figured out we should be married, so we did.
I don't think I could do a online dateing service, the ones I looked at, just had a creepy feel to them.
Whenever I've heard of someone meeting their eventual spouse online, it's been through chat rooms and forums where they just happen to stumble into someone else single with similar interests, just the way you might find someone to date when going out to parties or joining local organizations, etc.

Actual online dating services seem all wrong to me too, and I've never met anyone who's had lasting success from those. You might as well get the mail-order-bride catalog for as much good as those seem to do.

Moonbear said:
You might as well get the mail-order-bride catalog for as much good as those seem to do.

Moonb, you're not helping! :biggrin:

I met Swerve through OKCupid! I'm not sure that honestly qualifies as a dating site, though. I've actually met a lot of people from it, but had no intention of dating any of them other than her.

Edit: Honestly, though, that site has sucked for at least two years now. It was cool when it first opened and was just a bunch of people from the Spark that came to take tests and happened to meet up. Now it's become infested by the types that Wolram is talking up.

Last edited:
loseyourname said:
Edit: Honestly, though, that site has sucked for at least two years now. It was cool when it first opened and was just a bunch of people from the Spark that came to take tests and happened to meet up. Now it's become infested by the types that Wolram is talking up.
Yeah...when someone posted a link to some quizzes there...was it Gale I have to blame for that?...I set up a profile just to see what happens. Ick! I got all the male equivalents of what Wolram listed.

wolram said:
Zooby suggested i try this, so far i have 20 nubile Russian girls who want to marry an older English man (as Russian men are all drunkards), 5 high pressure business women that have never had a relationship before, and a load of old boilers, where is my eve :confused:
A close friend stumbled across such as site, with attractive young Russian woman. It turns out that this site, and others, are a scam to collect money from Western men.

My friend checked into one of the women, and he found that she had multiple identities on different sites. Further investigation revealed that several other Russian women were doing the same. At least one woman was an actress who allowed her image to be used by unscrupulous people to con money out of unsuspecting men.

I'll try to dig up the information.

Well if anyone wants a vintage man in unrestored condition, barn find unused for 30yrs, engine starts with no rattles or knocks, all gear select ok,
some signs of repair to body work, 100% origonal, easy restoration project or use as is, sensible offers only no wheel kickers.

hypatia said:
Me too. Except my wife and I met in a Detroit Red Wings forum and talked back and forth for about 2 years before meeting.

Online dating sites can work, but you have to sort the wheat from the chaf, and it's 99.999% chaf.

Most men want a woman within walking distance of their house. :grumpy: Their profiles should just come out and say "I don't actually care about finding the right person, I just want someone nearby". Sorry, I've seen what lives within walking distance of my house.

I must say I have met a couple of incredible men on dating sites. OKC really isn't a dating site, it's more meeting new friends. I've become friends with a woman I met on OKC, we're klutz clones. She could be a sister. I also met the nicest suicidal, alcoholic, gun toting Russian Nuclear Engineer on OKC. :biggrin:

Moonbear, you're just not looking in the right places. I'm going to send you a profile of someone I think you'd like. He's too young for me. I found a cutie for MIH also. :approve:

Evo said:
I found a cutie for MIH also. :approve:
Wonderful! We have to screen him for cat allergies, though.

This is all very sad to read...

indeed.
Myself I'm not married yet, but I have 2 friends who met their future wives on irc.
So upon this and all other cases I must conclude that relationships through net work.

No they dont, you just get to meet exponentially higher amounts of people online and even though you're chances are much lower finding someone online, you have the big numbers to make that low-probability work. It's not love, its science. :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
No they dont, you just get to meet exponentially higher amounts of people online and even though you're chances are much lower finding someone online, you have the big numbers to make that low-probability work. It's not love, its science. :biggrin:

For one time the penguin may be right :confused: no impossible::bugeye:

Pengwuino said:

and by simple scientific explanation, it proves that working relationships through internet are proportional to overall number of chat users with respect to connection speed they possess. Hence, with few assumptions, they do work.

heartless said:
and by simple scientific explanation, it proves that working relationships through internet are proportional to overall number of chat users with respect to connection speed they possess. Hence, with few assumptions, they do work.

That formula doesn't add up at all

I met my girlfriend on.. *gulp* myspace.com, of all places. We've now been dating for over two years, and living together for over a year. I'd say it's been a resounding success.

Of course, I met about 20 girls before her who were often spectacularly wrong for me. And, of course, I met my share of psychos. The meth addicts and the kleptomaniacs turned me off of online dating for a while, but eventually I hit paydirt.

Just like penguin says, the internet exposes you to many times more people than you'd otherwise have a chance to meet, so the probability of success is really pretty good.

- Warren

Historically, I'd say I've met the highest quality of woman through classes and school-related crap, but there are few women in my department now and none that I find myself attracted to.

loseyourname said:
Historically, I'd say I've met the highest quality of woman through classes and school-related crap, but there are few women in my department now and none that I find myself attracted to.
Yeah, that seems to be the best place to meet people, but once you're out of school, if you haven't yet met THE person, then it gets a lot harder to find them. :frown:

Nothing wrong with online dating. It used to have this huge negative stigma attached to it, but it's pretty acceptable these days. I started doing online dating back in the late 90's when it was pretty taboo. Not that I went to online dating sites. Just used to chat a lot, and through the course of that met girls with similar interests. If you don't meet them online you meet them in bars where they(or you) are likely drunk, or you have to gamble on coming across somene from your daily life. It's just another medium for hooking up. The ritual is still the same, only the medium has changed.

Btw, met my wife online and we are indeed happily married.

Zantra said:
Btw, met my wife online and we are indeed happily married.
Meeting online is almost the only way to go now. Seriously, I'm not going to hang out at smoky bars with a bunch of drunks to try to meet the man of my dreams.

I'm not in school, I don't go to church and there aren't really any available men at work. Where else am I supposed to meet someone?

Go where you're interests take you and you'll find people like you. If your life is surrounded by computers, online would be a good bet. If you're into the bar scene then you'll be hard pressed not to find someone at the bar. If you are into clubbing, you'll find someone just like you at a rave or what not.

The advantage of the internet is that you don't really have to go anywhere and there's places for people with lots of interests online. Another advantage is that you can go onto the internet to find people into your favorite interests other then computer-related things but you can't go to places like clubs and organizations to find people who have interests dealing mainly with computers.

Evo said:
Meeting online is almost the only way to go now. Seriously, I'm not going to hang out at smoky bars with a bunch of drunks to try to meet the man of my dreams.

I'm not in school, I don't go to church and there aren't really any available men at work. Where else am I supposed to meet someone?

I hear pengwuinos available Evo, :devil:.

Ok, I admit that was crossing the line.:rofl:

Pengwuino said:
Go where you're interests take you and you'll find people like you.
What if you just like to sit quietly at home? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
What if you just like to sit quietly at home? :biggrin:

I finally got it!

Be a robber! You get to meet plenty of new people and they'll be doing their favorite thing, sitting at home quietly! I knew i could figure out something! And it's a great conversation starter if you're able to decide what to talk about because they're tied up and gagged!

Best way to meet new people is through friends.

People on the internet aren't really real, are they?!?

J77 said:

I don't know about you but I am real!o:)

Lisa! said:
I don't know about you but I am real!o:)

You are a microchip.

J77 said:

I met all of my friends through the internet.

I met my wife online in a chat room back in the day. Actually, it started innocently enough. She was a salesperson for a computer company here in Houston and they needed another technician. Well I successfully BSed my way into an interview and landed the job. Turns out soon after I started there I was being dispatched to supervise the builds we were doing in Austin. Well these little corporate excursions with my wife lead to numerous late night “corporate meetings” between the Sales and Technical departments. So not only did I get my break into the computer industry (which sadly I had to leave later) but also met the mother of my two sons. Moral of the story-sometimes not looking for something is the best way to find it. :biggrin:

That's a nice story Ronnin, unfortunately I didn't look for anyone for several years, and I got just what I was looking for...no one. :cry:

It's not that I am picky about the kind of guy I date or anything. :uhh: I am just looking for your average genius that has a full understanding of, and can talk about, just about any topic I can think of (and I can think of a lot of topics), has the patience of a saint, loves cats, hates sports, is handy around the house, has good carpentry skills, is a good cook, is kind, compassionate, passionate, understanding and considerate, AND he has to make me laugh. If he's a tall nerdy guy with thick glasses and disheveled hair, we could be talking love. :blushing:

If anyone knows a guy like this, will you please have him contact me? :redface:

Last edited:
I:

• Can talk about damn near anything.
  • Have the patience of Job most of the time, but am also prone to violent outbursts. Don't worry, I've never physically harmed anyone.
  • Hate cats.
  • Love sports.
  • Am not of much use around the house, though I can perform most basic handiwork (just don't often wish to).
  • Am certainly a good enough cook to satisfy myself. I don't often cook for others, but they generally seem to be satisfied when I do.
  • Am neither kind nor compassionate, not often passionate, not considerate, but quite understanding.
  • Am tall with disheveled hair, but not particularly nerdy. My vision is perfect and is likely to remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Sorry.

I never posted my experiences here...

I've been a member of Eharmony for over a year, though my attention span is highly variable. I've gone out with four women with varying success, but here's the thing: I've been reasonably compatible with every one. No psychos, no train wrecks, no druggies, no one who was vastly different than the way they presented themselves. It is easy and low stress.

Two of my female friends got pages on MySpace and quickly got deluged with guys hitting on them - mostly relatively straightforward requests for sex. It freaked both of them out, to say the least, and I have to imagine that that scares away most of the normal women. And seeing as how I have a low tolerance for B.S., I wouldn't be able to handle the grab-bag of random women Warren dealt with before getting lucky. Congrats, Warren, but I'd have had to shoot myself or one of them long before finding the right one.

Evo said:
It's not that I am picky about the kind of guy I date or anything. :uhh: I am just looking for your average genius that has a full understanding of, and can talk about, just about any topic I can think of (and I can think of a lot of topics), has the patience of a saint, loves cats, hates sports, is handy around the house, has good carpentry skills, is a good cook, is kind, compassionate, passionate, understanding and considerate. If he's a tall nerdy guy with thick glasses and disheveled hair, we could be talking love. :blushing:

If anyone knows a guy like this, will you please have him contact me? :redface:
You do realize that neither Superman nor Clark Kent are real people, right?