Packing (HCP/CCP) comparing volume

• Thread starter berry2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about the comparison between hexagonal closest packing and cubic closest packing in terms of volume, and the relationship between coordination number, packing, and density. The first question is about the difference in volume between the two packings and how it relates to the percentage of density. The second question is about the relationship between coordination number, packing, and density. The answer provided explains that the same atomic packing factor is obtained for the two different structures because of the difference in the number of atoms per unit cell.
berry2
Hi! I have two questions. "How do the two more efficient forms of packing (hexagonal closest packing and cubic closest packing) compare regarding volume?" and "What is the relationship between coordination number, packing, and density (as mass/volume)?" I am taking this Grade 12 Chem course by correspondence, and I do not have a teacher that I can have explain this to me. These two question have to do with each other, they refer to hexagonal closest packing, cubic closest packing, and body-centred space lattice.

My first question is, are the two volumes the same for HCP and CCP? Here is what I came up with off the Internet but I'm not sure if it is right. The volume of a hexagonal closest packing is V = 8(2)1/2 r3. The volume of a face centered or cubic closest packing is V=16(2)½r3. If these are correct (are they?), then they do not seem to be the same volumes, but then how do I get the same denstiy percentages of 74.05%?

My second question, "What is the relationship between coordination number, packing, and density (as mass/volume)?" Is the following a reasonable answer?

The relationship between coordination number, packing and density is - coordination number is the number of atoms touching a specific atom; the packing is the different ways the spheres are structured; the density brings the two coordination number and packing together. Even reading what I just wrote confuses me, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason you get the same atomic packing factor for those two different strucutres is because of the difference in the number of atoms per unit cell. The FCC (which is a CCP structure) unit cell has 4 atoms per unit cell. The HCP unit cell only has 2 atoms.

Hello! I am happy to help you with your questions about packing (HCP/CCP) and their relationship to volume, coordination number, and density.

First, let's address your question about the volumes of HCP and CCP. You are correct in your calculations of the volumes for each type of packing. However, it is important to note that these volumes are for a single unit cell of each type of packing. In other words, they do not represent the total volume of a crystal made up of multiple unit cells. To get the same density percentage for both types of packing, we must consider the number of atoms in each unit cell. HCP has a coordination number of 12, meaning each atom is in contact with 12 other atoms. CCP has a coordination number of 8. This means that the number of atoms in each unit cell for HCP is greater than the number of atoms in a unit cell for CCP. Therefore, even though the individual unit cell volumes may be different, the overall density of a crystal made up of multiple unit cells will be the same for both types of packing.

Now, let's discuss the relationship between coordination number, packing, and density. You are correct in your understanding that coordination number refers to the number of atoms touching a specific atom. This is important in determining the overall structure and stability of a crystal. The packing refers to the arrangement of the atoms within a unit cell, whether it is HCP, CCP, or another type of packing. Density, as you mentioned, brings these two concepts together. Density is a measure of how tightly packed the atoms are within a crystal. As we discussed earlier, the coordination number and packing can affect the overall density of a crystal, but it is also influenced by the size of the atoms and their arrangement within the unit cell.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between coordination number, packing, and density. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your studies!

What is HCP and CCP packing?

HCP and CCP (hexagonal close-packed and cubic close-packed) are two types of atomic packing structures commonly found in crystals. In HCP packing, the atoms are arranged in a hexagonal pattern, while in CCP packing, the atoms are arranged in a cubic pattern.

What is the difference between HCP and CCP packing?

The main difference between HCP and CCP packing is the arrangement of atoms. In HCP packing, the atoms are arranged in a hexagonal pattern, while in CCP packing, the atoms are arranged in a cubic pattern. Additionally, HCP packing has a higher packing efficiency compared to CCP packing.

How do you calculate the packing efficiency of HCP and CCP structures?

The packing efficiency of a crystal structure is the ratio of the volume occupied by the atoms to the total volume of the unit cell. For HCP packing, the packing efficiency is 74%, while for CCP packing, the packing efficiency is 68%. This means that HCP packing can accommodate more atoms in the same volume compared to CCP packing.

Why is HCP packing more efficient than CCP packing?

HCP packing is more efficient than CCP packing because of its hexagonal arrangement of atoms. This arrangement allows for closer packing of atoms compared to the cubic arrangement in CCP packing. As a result, HCP packing can accommodate more atoms in the same volume, leading to a higher packing efficiency.

What are some real-life examples of HCP and CCP packing?

HCP packing is commonly found in metals such as magnesium, titanium, and zinc. CCP packing is found in metals such as copper, silver, and gold. Both types of packing are also found in crystalline structures of various minerals and gemstones.