Moles of ions in aqueous solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of moles and ions present in a solution of lithium nitrate. The correct number of moles is found to be 1.16e-2, and the correct number of ions for each type is 6.99e21. The conversation also mentions the use of 3.26 L in the calculation and the need to consider dissociation constant.
brandon1
How many moles and numbers of ions of each type are present in the following aqueous solutions?

3.26 L of a solution containing 6.96 x 10^21 formula units of lithium nitrate per liter

I got 1.16e-2 mols of Li and NO3 as well as 6.99e21 ions for each. The software I am using (webassign) says it is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

First, I found the number of moles of the total was 1.16e-2 moles. Since the two ions are in a 1:1 ratio, should they not be the same as the total? Or am I supposed to use the 3.26L in there somewhere?EDIT: I found what I did wrong. I didn't see the per liter at the end

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
3.26 L = 3.26 [tex]dm^3[/tex]

There is approx [tex]6.02 \times10^{23}[/tex] "formula units" in a mole

[tex]\frac{6.96 \times10^{21}}{6.02 \times10^{23}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{6.96}{6.02} \times 10^{21-23}[/tex]

[tex]1.16 \times 10^{-2}[/tex] moles

[tex][LiNO_{3}] = \frac{1.16\times10^{-2}}{3.26} mol dm^{-3}[/tex]

Is the answer ~ 0.003?

Do you have to take dissociation constant into account?

Last edited:
of the given information. So I had to multiply the moles by 3.26 to get the correct answer.

I would like to clarify that the number of moles and the number of ions in a solution are two different quantities. Moles represent the amount of a substance, while the number of ions represents the number of charged particles present in the solution.

To answer the question, we first need to calculate the number of moles of lithium nitrate in the given solution. This can be done by multiplying the concentration (6.96 x 10^21 formula units per liter) by the volume (3.26 L). This gives us a total of 2.27 x 10^22 formula units of lithium nitrate.

Next, we need to convert this into moles. Since lithium nitrate has a 1:1 ratio of moles to formula units, we can simply divide the number of formula units by Avogadro's number (6.02 x 10^23). This gives us a total of 3.77 x 10^-2 moles of lithium nitrate in the solution.

Now, to calculate the number of ions, we need to consider that lithium nitrate dissociates into two ions in aqueous solution - one lithium ion (Li+) and one nitrate ion (NO3-). This means that the total number of ions in the solution would be twice the number of moles of lithium nitrate. So, the total number of ions in the solution would be 7.54 x 10^-2 ions.

In conclusion, the correct answer would be 3.77 x 10^-2 moles of lithium nitrate and 7.54 x 10^-2 ions (3.77 x 10^-2 Li+ ions and 3.77 x 10^-2 NO3- ions) in the given solution. I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you understand the concept better.

1. How do you calculate the number of moles of ions in aqueous solution?

To calculate the number of moles of ions in aqueous solution, you will need to know the concentration of the solution (in moles per liter) and the volume of the solution. Then, use the formula moles = concentration x volume to determine the number of moles of ions present.

2. What is the significance of moles in aqueous solutions?

Moles are used to measure the amount of a substance in a solution. In aqueous solutions, moles are used to determine the concentration of ions, which is important in understanding the chemical properties and reactions of the solution.

3. How do you convert moles of ions to grams?

To convert moles of ions to grams, you will need to know the molar mass of the ion. Then, use the formula grams = moles x molar mass to calculate the mass of the ions in the solution.

4. Can the number of moles of ions change in a solution?

Yes, the number of moles of ions in a solution can change if more ions are added or removed from the solution. This can happen through chemical reactions or physical processes such as evaporation.

5. How do you determine the charge of an ion in a solution?

The charge of an ion in a solution can be determined by looking at its chemical formula. If the formula includes the charge, then that is the charge of the ion. If the formula does not include the charge, then you can look up the charge of the ion in a reference table or use its position on the periodic table to determine its charge.