Ratio of Oscillation to Period of Damped Harmonic Oscillator

• Thread starter jenkirk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems. The first problem involves determining the ratio of oscillation to the period of a damped harmonic oscillator with an amplitude that drops to 1/e of its initial value after n complete cycles. The second problem involves finding the natural frequency of a ball supported by a light elastic spring as it falls and reaches terminal speed. The conversation also mentions some difficulties and mistakes encountered while working on the problems.
jenkirk
we finally got that question, it took us some time but we missed a minus sign! hahah stupid little mistakes, the ones we are working on now are
given the amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator drops to 1/e of its inital value after n complete cycles show the ratio of oscillation to the period of the sam oscillator with no damping is

T damped/ T undamped = (1 + 1/(4pi^2 n^2) ^(1/2)

i got the auxillary parts where T undamped equals 4pi squared/q^2 where q is 2pi n , and T damped is 4pi ^2n^2 + c2pi n/m somethings not working because i get the wrong stuff on the bottom and c2pi n/m has to equal 1? or rearranging it i get square root ((cn2 (pi))/k + 1) equals Td/T so cn2 pi /k has to somehow equal 1/(4pi^2n^2)

for the second problem the terminal speed of a freely fallin ball is v when the ball is supported by a light elastic spring the spring stretches an amount x, show the natural frequiecy is

w damped = sqare root ( g/x-g^2 / 4v^2)

i know how to prove w undamped equals squareroot (g/x) that is easy

for this one i am getting confused with the question from the time when it is accelerating to when it hits terminal speed and doesn't accelerate, do i have to integrate at all or set up two parts to the problem one with acceleration and one without? because how do i know if it hits terminal speed before it stretches the spring to the max x?

Physics news on Phys.org
jenkirk said:
we finally got that question, it took us some time but we missed a minus sign! hahah stupid little mistakes, the ones we are working on now are
given the amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator drops to 1/e of its inital value after n complete cycles show the ratio of oscillation to the period of the sam oscillator with no damping is

T damped/ T undamped = (1 + 1/(4pi^2 n^2) ^(1/2)
Why are you starting a new thread for this same problem? Stick to your https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=134975" or you will have us even more confused than we normally are.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
iunno I've never used this site before i don't know what to do

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a system that undergoes periodic motion (oscillation) but also experiences a damping force that decreases the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

2. How is the ratio of oscillation to period of a damped harmonic oscillator calculated?

The ratio of oscillation to period is calculated by dividing the amplitude of the oscillations by the period of the oscillations.

3. How does damping affect the oscillation and period of a harmonic oscillator?

Damping decreases the amplitude of the oscillations and increases the period of the oscillations. This means that the oscillations become smaller and occur less frequently over time.

4. What factors can affect the ratio of oscillation to period of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The ratio of oscillation to period can be affected by the amount of damping, the initial amplitude of the oscillations, and the initial velocity of the oscillations.

5. How is the ratio of oscillation to period used in real-world applications?

The ratio of oscillation to period is used to analyze and predict the behavior of various systems, such as a spring-mass system or an electrical circuit, that exhibit damped harmonic oscillations. It is also used in fields such as mechanics, physics, and engineering to understand and design systems that involve oscillations.