Need help deriving work formula

In summary, the weight of the object is mg and the force required to move it upward is mgxh. The work done is mgxh.
metalmagik
A body of mass m is in a gravitational field of strength g. The body is moved through a distance h at constant speed v in the opposite direction to the field.

Derive an expression in terms of

m, h and h, for the work done on the body.

Im bad with derivations, I need to get better. So far I have

Work = F x d
Work = ma x h
Work = mgh?

Please help me with this derivation, it will help me to understand how to do others better. Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
metalmagik said:
A body of mass m is in a gravitational field of strength g. The body is moved through a distance h at constant speed v in the opposite direction to the field.

Derive an expression in terms of

m, h and h, for the work done on the body.

Im bad with derivations, I need to get better. So far I have

Work = F x d
Work = ma x h
Work = mgh?

Please help me with this derivation, it will help me to understand how to do others better. Thank you in advance
Your answer is correct, however, i don't believe you are clear on the concept. Since the speed is constant, what does that tell you about the magnitude and direction of the force required to move the body upward?

Right, since the speed is constant, the body is not accelerating, which means force of gravity IS acceleration.

metalmagik said:
Right, since the speed is constant, the body is not accelerating, which means force of gravity IS acceleration.
I don't think you quite have it right. Yes, the body is not accelerating, therefore , per Newton's 1st law, there is no net force acting on the body. What is the value of the weight ? And since the weight is acting down, how much pulling force is acting up? Now calculate how much work is done by that force.

Uh well I Don't have any measurements but I think I understand now...the force acting up is the same as the weight acting down, since it is at constant velocity...correct?

metalmagik said:
Uh well I Don't have any measurements but I think I understand now...the force acting up is the same as the weight acting down, since it is at constant velocity...correct?
Yes. And since the weight acting down is mg, the force acting up must also be mg, right? So the work done by that force is W = Fh = mgh.
It is important to understand this as you move into problems where the body is accelerating rather than moving at constant speed.

Last edited:
Ah sweet. Yes I see that. If the body was accelerating this problem would be totally different, meaning, different terms with which to derive, correct?

metalmagik said:
Ah sweet. Yes I see that. If the body was accelerating this problem would be totally different, meaning, different terms with which to derive, correct?
If the body was accelerating upward at acceleration a, then you'd have to use Newton's 2nd law to yield, (denoting the pulling force as F),
F -mg = ma, that is, solving for F,
F = m(a+g), and the work done by the pulling force would be
W = Fh = m(a+g)h. Of course when a= 0, the work becomes just mgh. OK?

right, makes sense. Just preparing myself incase there's a derivation question on tomorrow's test! Thanks PhanthomJay!

1. What is the work formula?

The work formula is a mathematical equation that calculates the amount of work done on an object. It is represented as W = Fd, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How is the work formula derived?

The work formula is derived from the definition of work, which is the product of force and displacement. By multiplying the force vector with the displacement vector, we can find the amount of work done on an object.

3. What are the units for work in the work formula?

The units for work in the work formula are joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system. Both units represent the amount of energy transferred when a force of one newton is applied over a distance of one meter.

4. Can the work formula be applied to all types of work?

Yes, the work formula can be applied to all types of work as long as there is a force acting on an object and there is a displacement. It is a general formula that can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics.

5. How does the work formula relate to energy?

The work formula and energy are closely related as work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. The work formula can be used to calculate the amount of energy transferred or the amount of energy needed to do a certain amount of work.