Proving Homomorphism and Finding Kernel in Abstract Algebra

In summary, we are discussing a mapping Q: R-> R defined by Q(a) = a^4 for a in R and proving that Q is a homomorphism from (R, .) to itself. We have shown that for all a, b in R, Q(ab) = (ab)^4 = a^4b^4 = Q(a)Q(b), which proves that Q is a homomorphism. We then move on to finding the kernel of Q, which is the set of all elements a in R such that Q(a) = e, where e is the identity element in the group (R, .). Using this definition, we determine that the kernel of Q is {-1, 1}.
raj123
Given R=all non-zero real numbers.

I have a mapping Q: R-> R defined by Q(a) = a^4 for a in R. I have to show that Q is a homomorphism from (R, .) to itself and then find kernel of Q.

In order to prove homomorphism i did this, for all a, b in R
Q(ab) = (ab)^4 = a^4b^4 = Q(a)Q(b).

Is this correct way? Also how do i find the kernel of Q.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a kernel is?

gonzo said:
Do you know what a kernel is?

if O:G -> H is a homomorphism , then the kernel of O is the set of all elements a in G such that O(a) = e of H(identity of H).The kernel of a homomorphism is always a subgroup of the domain.

So what is e, in this group, and therefore what is the kernel?

matt grime said:
So what is e, in this group, and therefore what is the kernel?

e is the identity element.

raj123 said:
e is the identity element.

I think he meant, what is the identity elemeen in your group?

gonzo said:
I think he meant, what is the identity elemeen in your group?

is 4 the identity ? not sure

raj123 said:

It seems a more important question for you is do you know what an identity element is at all? Do you understand what is meant by "identity element"?

raj123 said:

Look at your group (R, .) and read the definition: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/IdentityElement.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
radou said:
Look at your group (R, .) and read the definition: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/IdentityElement.html" .

so 1 is the identity.

Last edited by a moderator:
raj123 said:
so 1 is the identity.

Exactly. And now look at your definition of the kernel of Q.

radou said:
Exactly. And now look at your definition of the kernel of Q.

so the kernel will be {-1,1}.

raj123 said:
so the kernel will be {-1,1}.

Yes, looks good.

radou said:
Yes, looks good.

thanks a lot for helping.

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the properties and relationships between these structures, rather than specific numbers or equations.

2. What are some real-world applications of Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra has many applications in various fields such as cryptography, coding theory, physics, computer science, and engineering. For example, group theory is used in cryptography to develop secure communication systems, while ring theory is used in coding theory to design efficient error-correcting codes.

3. What are the main areas of study in Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is divided into several areas of study, including group theory, ring theory, field theory, and module theory. Other related topics include Galois theory, representation theory, and homological algebra.

4. What are some key concepts in Abstract Algebra?

Some key concepts in Abstract Algebra include groups, which are sets of elements that satisfy a set of algebraic properties, and rings, which are sets of elements that have two binary operations (addition and multiplication) defined on them. Other important concepts include homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and substructures.

5. What are some recommended resources for learning Abstract Algebra?

There are many resources available for learning Abstract Algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles Pinter and "Abstract Algebra: Theory and Applications" by Thomas W. Judson. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free courses and lectures on Abstract Algebra.